Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Clean install, I'm back and forth between this cam and the 5231RZ for front/read door cameras.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I went with this one because it's a very low profile. The turret would not look nearly as well there. If you don't mind the size of the turret that's probably the better choice for flexibility, optics and all the reasons that people talk about those cameras for, I have four of them : )

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
dumb question. How to you pan/tilt with this cam? Is it a PTZ? Or do you adjust manually?

I ordered a IPC-HDBW4231F-AS from Andy and it lists "Technology:pan / Tilt / Zoom". I should get the camera tomorrow but I wasn't clear if you manually adjust this or does it have a motor that you can control? Either way not a big deal to me but just curious.

Very nice install by the way @just some dude !

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With cover off, loosen a captive screw, then manually adjust the camera angles. The instructions show a place to insert the star tool to help adjust. Then tighten the captive screw. Thanks!

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With cover off, loosen a captive screw, then manually adjust the camera angles. The instructions show a place to insert the star tool to help adjust. Then tighten the captive screw. Thanks!
Thanks for the reply. I'll look up the instructions so I'll be ready as I should get the cam tomorrow. Going to use this one indoors but may get another for the front door later.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Clean install, I'm back and forth between this cam and the 5231RZ for front/read door cameras.
Hi ThomasPI,

I really like the Dahua mini-dome wedge for shaded locations which require a smaller camera profile - as well as solid vandal resistant one.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I went with this one because it's a very low profile. The turret would not look nearly as well there. If you don't mind the size of the turret that's probably the better choice for flexibility, optics and all the reasons that people talk about those cameras for, I have four of them : )
Just some dude - did you paint that vinyl mounting block or happen to get it at the same color as your house? I am seeing only some standard colors at the big box hardware stores and without special ordering, I might have to get white and paint it...I don't like that idea at all.

Also, curious if you can share any more on how you mounted the block and routed your cabling? I am not a siding expert and fear I might need to have an expert remove some and install without me breaking some things.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, see photos in prior post, camera and block painted. I have painted all my cameras to match or blend in with my house. Painting is the easy part, just a couple light coats and you're good. Practice on something else if you lack experience. There are four mounting holes in the camera base, see above pictures for how I mounted the camera to the block with nuts, bolts and washers with one set of mounting holes. I used the other set of mounting holes in the camera base to attach to the house using 2" stainless steel screws. I'm no siding expert either, I used a combination of a siding removal tool and an electricians fish rod to get the cable behind the siding. I didn't actually have to fully remove any siding, just sort of peeled it back to gain access. the tricky part of the cabling was the transition near the ceiling. You're going to have to get creative getting from behind the siding into the soffit. Tip when working with vinyl siding, don't try to flex it too much in cold weather or you risk cracking it. That was my biggest fear. I have mounted approximately 12 cameras and each one has been it's own "adventure" . Hope this helps.

Attachments

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a GREAT installation! Excellent job. Low profile, tasteful, and clean execution.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does pretty good, WDR set at 10. Dark early here in midwest. I am still waiting for an opportunity for the post office to come to the door then I will throw some pictures in this thread.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision wedge cam has a pretty sensitive mic. Far more sensitive than the mics in my other cameras.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I originally ordered one of these for the front door when I was putting my home system together but our distributor was out of stock and sent me the HikVision wedge for the same price. I still haven't played with it enough to get the audio to record on my dahua nvr. Nice install @just some dude

View attachment 23902
I did not realize you could mix gray and white PVC. Are you planning on painting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I did not realize you could mix gray and white PVC. Are you planning on painting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not planning on painting it. The pic is from the outside of the porch where I keep the garbage cans. From the porch you can't see the pipe. Also its a fairly new paint job and paining the pipe might make it look worse.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think everybody would be surprised how easy it is to paint PVC pipe with the Rust-Oleum paints nowadays. Makes a huge difference aesthetically. Just have to paint your pieces before you install, protecting the end so the glue still works. Then at the most you have to touch up after the install, no problem. Still a nice install though, props!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't mean to high jack your post. I am installing the Dahua wedge on the other side of the porch in a similar way and I just may switch this Hikvision out if I can't get the audio to record and live stream through my Dahua NVR.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noticed you have a lot of unnecessary ceiling view at the expense of maybe not being able to see the full doorstep and packages if set right against the door. Are you able to rotate the lens in the current position to be able to see more of the door step?