Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @looney2ns my front door is over 8' tall!

I'm going to go under the house this afternoon I think and I'll take a closer look at the doorbell wall. I don't recall how much the concrete slab interferes. Thanks for the advice on the optics and time for testing.

PS - I love your avatar!
That was a wild quick pass guess, scratch that. :)
Still maybe worth a test depending on the distance from doors to the steps.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I'm also just wondering if or how soon I'd regret a dome here...
Hi Team,

Looks like a good location, some good shade, if you keep you porch light on - I would definitely go for the mini-dome wedge 4231 there.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With a camera mounted near the doorbell people almost always look straight at the camera whether they know it or not. I've had delivery people look into it and wave. I've had people look at it with blank stare. Anyway they're looking directly at it and that means good ID : )

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That was a wild quick pass guess, scratch that. :)
Still maybe worth a test depending on the distance from doors to the steps.
Yes, definitely still a test. Hopefully this week.

Hi Team,

Looks like a good location, some good shade, if you keep you porch light on - I would definitely go for the mini-dome wedge 4231 there.
Yeah, porch light is on at night, provided we remember to turn it on. Maybe I need to automate that somehow. Being that this mini-dome wedge is a starlight, it should have decent night time recording. If we leave the light off, it will be pretty dark.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to go under the house this afternoon I think and I'll take a closer look at the doorbell wall. I don't recall how much the concrete slab interferes. Thanks for the advice on the optics and time for testing.
presumably your garage is to the left, that's a fairly easy place to run wires.
Maybe I need to automate that somehow.
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Econoswitch-RPLS740B-Programmable-Switch/dp/B004AP92N2/

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @looney2ns my front door is over 8' tall!

PS - I love your avatar!
I keep thinking Chevy is part of the forum here, everytime I read one of @looney2ns posts.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm missing something easy, but how the heck do I do these two things:
> Adjust the focal length of the ipc-hdw5231r-z?
> See what focal length I'm currently at?

PS - @tangent - picked up one of those honeywell switches and installed it today, looking forward to seeing how it works.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
I did not realize you could mix gray and white PVC. Are you planning on painting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quoted from pvcfittingsonline.com

There are two common types of PVC pipe – schedule 40 PVC and schedule 80 PVC. Schedule 40 PVC is usually white in color and schedule 80 is usually a dark gray (they can also be found in other colors). Their most important difference, though, is in their design. Schedule 80 pipe is designed with a thicker wall. This means the pipe is thicker and stronger, and as a result it can handle higher pressures.

when ya think about it, using the grey would be better for security camera setup, because it would be harder to cut through for a thief and harder to break.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there's gray sch 40 too. it all glues the same. it's still pvc, sch 80 wouldn't be that hard for someone to cut if they wanted to. ultimately though, wires in conduit >> exposed wires.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a dead spot between my 2 garage doors that I can't cover from the soffits on either side. I'm thinking about mounting the IPC-HDBW4231F at the top and between the two doors as the 5231 does not pass the WAF for mounting on the face of the garage. Is this camera WP enough to be mounted to a flat wall with no cover above?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a dead spot between my 2 garage doors that I can't cover from the soffits on either side. I'm thinking about mounting the IPC-HDBW4231F at the top and between the two doors as the 5231 does not pass the WAF for mounting on the face of the garage. Is this camera WP enough to be mounted to a flat wall with no cover above?
The IPC-HDW4231EM-AS is a little smaller (still a turret) IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology

The IPC-HDBW4231F wedge is IP67 rated just like the turrets, but you'll have more issues with the dome especially if its in full sun.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would go with 3.6 for the best ID for someone coming up to the door. You also likely need to run back light compensation.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would go with 3.6 for the best ID for someone coming up to the door. You also likely need to run back light compensation.
Will the 3.6 be able to capture both the person coming up and the package on the ground? Do you think it is OK to mount on the side wall? Thanks!

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I could always use the IPVM calculator. IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Definitely want run in Corridor mode.

Make sure you go back to the very beginning of this thread read through it look at my pictures.

They never put the packages where you want them anyway usually they chuck them right by the door so there's no way one camera is going to get both the package and person at the same time.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Side wall is fine. Better than way too high catching tops of people's heads.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will the 3.6 be able to capture both the person coming up and the package on the ground? Do you think it is OK to mount on the side wall? Thanks!
Hi @iseeker

I would try to place it as close to the front door as possible at about face level so that you can get a straight on facial ID image.

I have a 2.8mm lens, and it works well for those right in front of my door. However, if you place a package close to the foot of the door I will not see it. So you may want to look at the dual lens version as a camera for that location.