Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F or IPCHDW4231EMP-AS

As you can see in the photos, I have plenty of overview cameras in the front (4 total) as well as a varifocal zoomed to catch end of driveway. The camera above door is too high (I knew that going in). While I can ID with most of my cameras, I want something up close and personal at the front door! Some portions of front blocked by trees so some prime mounting locations unavailable.FRONT.jpg front2.jpg CAM4.jpg Painted.jpg

I believe there will be plenty of light to run in color mode 24-7. In the proposed location pic, location A would require greater use of WDR due to bright background.

I have a couple spare 4231's (3.6mm and 6mm) to play with. I am wondering if 2.8mm would be better. entryway is approximately 6ft wide. Through experimenting, I found corridor mode to be more effective.

Third photo is a view of walkway IPCHDW4231EMP-AS 3.6mm

Last photo just an example of my painted turrets:). Can barely see them from the road.

Thanks for any input!

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a vinyl mounting plate for a receptacle and putting a Dahua mini wedge and my doorbell inside of that right next to my door. I am only concerned about the morning sunlight degrading the dome, but if I can get many years out of it, it still might be worth it. Still investigating the Ethernet route and how to do the siding. I attached my mock-up for Paint3D.

Attachments

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@just some dude Nice, well-maintained house! I would mount a turret at location B. If turret is mounted at location A, wouldn't the glass door cause some video aberrations if it's opened and you are talking to person?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I think B is prefered for a few reasons. The door being open good point that would interfere with the "A" location. And in the "B" location it is near the current doorbell and that's where people will be looking anyway.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a vinyl mounting plate for a receptacle and putting a Dahua mini wedge and my doorbell inside of that right next to my door. I am only concerned about the morning sunlight degrading the dome, but if I can get many years out of it, it still might be worth it. Still investigating the Ethernet route and how to do the siding. I attached my mock-up for Paint3D.
Fortunately a dome in my location would never really see sunlight. Continuously shaded, though some UV would eventually degrade it but probably at a slower pace than I'll ever care about.
I was thinking about mounting a dome or turret on one of these
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/siding-accessories/surface-mounting-block/p-1444449703925.htm

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@just some dude What about mounting something inside near doorbell. It can capture video thru 1 of your glass pane, right?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@just some dude I clicked on the link to surface mounting block. I don't think that is required with a turret because you can obviously adjust it any way you need it, and compensate for the siding that you have (if you mount turret directly against your siding.)

I think the mounting block will draw more attention, even if painted to match.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I considered mounting an Amcrest Shield camera inside the glass. But it is dual pane glass and often comes with many reflections, you can also forget about using ir in that mounting position add to that it is not Starlight and inferior picture quality. As for the mounting block. That is 4 inch siding on my house the camera is slightly over 4 inches. That was just to make it a little cleaner but likely not necessary.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F or IPCHDW4231EMP-AS

As you can see in the photos, I have plenty of overview cameras in the front (4 total) as well as a varifocal zoomed to catch end of driveway. The camera above door is too high (I knew that going in). While I can ID with most of my cameras, I want something up close and personal at the front door! Some portions of front blocked by trees so some prime mounting locations unavailable.View attachment 23094 View attachment 23095 View attachment 23096 View attachment 23097

I believe there will be plenty of light to run in color mode 24-7. In the proposed location pic, location A would require greater use of WDR due to bright background.

I have a couple spare 4231's (3.6mm and 6mm) to play with. I am wondering if 2.8mm would be better. entryway is approximately 6ft wide. Through experimenting, I found corridor mode to be more effective.

Third photo is a view of walkway IPCHDW4231EMP-AS 3.6mm

Last photo just an example of my painted turrets:). Can barely see them from the road.

Thanks for any input!
Hi Just Some Dude,

Looks good. I would use a 2.8mm in that location as the people will be right in front of the wedge mini-dome. I mounted mine 5 feet high and it works well, and seeing that you already have a higher positioned camera I think you'll be set by adding a 2.8mm at about face level.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I went with the 2.8mm IPC-HDBW4231F from Andy, arrived in 4 days! Here are some photos of the install. The vinyl mounting block made it easy to hide the network connection. 2" stainless steel screws hold it to the house. This will run in color mode 24/7 as there is plenty of light on the porch.
DSC01143.JPG DSC01145.JPG DSC01147.JPG DSC01149.JPG FRONT DOOR VIEW.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I went with the 2.8mm IPC-HDBW4231F from Andy, arrived in 4 days! Here are some photos of the install. The vinyl mounting block made it easy to hide the network connection. 2" stainless steel screws hold it to the house. This will run in color mode 24/7 as there is plenty of light on the porch.
View attachment 23559 View attachment 23560 View attachment 23561 View attachment 23562 View attachment 23563
Hi Just some dude,

Looks good, especially with the matching paint.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
View attachment 23559 View attachment 23560 View attachment 23561 View attachment 23562 View attachment 23563
Great job! I wan to do the same but also add the doorbell right below the cam. Hopefully the glow from the doorbell button won't impact picture quality. Did you find that putting it in corridor mode sideways works best for FOV and people approaching your door? Seems like it might be a bit much on the roof of the porch. Maybe it could be angled down some to catch packages on the floor?

Just ordered mine from Andy yesterday.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great job! I wan to do the same but also add the doorbell right below the cam. Hopefully the glow from the doorbell button won't impact picture quality. Did you find that putting it in corridor mode sideways works best for FOV and people approaching your door? Seems like it might be a bit much on the roof of the porch. Maybe it could be angled down some to catch packages on the floor?

HI Greg,

From what I have been playing it, it is hard to have the camera both catch a good ID shot as well as keep a good view of the package for a camera which is mounted next to the front door as both the person and the package at the door are too close to the camera. Thus, it may be worth while to add an other camera to just keep an eye on the packages - in this case you can even mount a camera indoors behind the glass and if there is enough light on the porch disable IR lights on the camera.

I am thinking of re-purposing a 720p camera to keep an eye on package views.

Also, in this case just some dude can easily point the camera down a bit more and to the right to get a bit more of a view of someone standing right on the welcome mat, and hopefully get a better view of packages since the view currently has a lot of the ceiling in it.

Last edited:

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HI Greg,

From what I have been playing it, it is hard to have the camera both catch a good ID shot as well as keep a good view of the package for a camera which is mounted next to the front door as both the person and the package at the door are too close to the camera. Thus, it may be worth while to add an other camera to just keep an eye on the packages - in this case you can even mount a camera indoors behind the glass and if there is enough light on the porch disable IR lights on the camera.

Also, in this case just some dude can easily point the camera down a bit more and to the right to get a bit more of a view of someone standing right on the welcome mat, and hopefully get a better view of packages since the view currently has a lot of the ceiling in it.
Yes, I was already planning on using one of my 5231's for an overview shot of the porch with approach and packages and the 4231 for door face ID.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

In wide view mode, far more wasted pixels on walls, corridor mode achieves the height needed to see top to bottom.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HI Greg,

Agree on the ceiling comment, I was outside for a couple hours and fingers were frozen, easily adjusted : )

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In wide view mode, far more wasted pixels on walls, corridor mode achieves the height needed to see top to bottom.
Mine is going to be straight on I think, so I will have to see what makes the most sense. Appreciate the follow up and thanks for the photos.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does, just didn't want to post my mug on here. Maybe when the mailman or something comes by I'll post it