Frustrated, missed out on an event

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris running with a whopping three cameras right now at home. Sometime during the day yesterday someone visited and shoveled my long driveway with a vehicle. I have no idea who it was and when I looked up the recordings, nothing was there for that time line.

I currently record with I believe 10 seconds pre and 16 seconds post trigger. I have two different motion groups setup for my notifications so I get a alert for someone near the door and even get one when people drive by. Only thing I think of was the vehicle was white with all the white snow it confused it?

I can post screenshots of my settings and camera if you think its necessary. Any tips or ideas?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris running with a whopping three cameras right now at home. Sometime during the day yesterday someone visited and shoveled my long driveway with a vehicle. I have no idea who it was and when I looked up the recordings, nothing was there for that time line.

I currently record with I believe 10 seconds pre and 16 seconds post trigger. I have two different motion groups setup for my notifications so I get a alert for someone near the door and even get one when people drive by. Only thing I think of was the vehicle was white with all the white snow it confused it?

I can post screenshots of my settings and camera if you think its necessary. Any tips or ideas?
Hi @pal251

Are you only doing motion detection triggered recordings? Or also continuous?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
maybe show us the view from the cam and your BI recording settings, including the 'motion sensor' configuration page and the 'object detection' edit page...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
fwiw, sometimes i THINK i've missed a trigger, but actually the system has caught the motion.
this can happen if the trigger occurs soon after a previous trigger and gets recorded in the same alert as the previous one.
then the alert list seems to show only the first trigger (no separate alert listing for the subsequent one,) but if you view
the entire alert video all the way through, you see the later triggers there.

so for example, if you had an intial trigger by a car driving by, then someone came up your driveway within your 16second post-trigger,
the recorded alert thumbnail snapshots might only show the first passing car, not the subsequent action.

yes, it's operator error/confusion, but just throwing that out there for consideration...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is general recommended that you use BI to record continuously and direct to disk for all cameras. , this way you do not miss anything. I have 12 cameras and record all continuously to a 4 TB WD purple drive. Some times the action starts way outside the event alert trigger area and you need that information. Some times the real information is on a different camera than the one that triggers.

Disks are cheap.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess that's an option if you can't manage to set up BI's many triggerring parameters to your needs/liking.

but if one is recording continuously, can you still get alerts/notifications and the nice little markers of activity in the timeline?
or must one clone all the cams to do that (one recording continuously, and a clone with all the alerts/zones, etc)?...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess that's an option if you can't manage to set up BI's many triggerring parameters to your needs/liking.

but if one is recording continuously, can you still get alerts/notifications and the nice little markers of activity in the timeline?
or must one clone all the cams to do that (one recording continuously, and a clone with all the alerts/zones, etc)?...
Yes, triggers and alerts are independent of actual recording. All but one of my cameras records 24/7 and all are set up to alert me based on triggers.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Either something is set incorrectly or the camera itself was down. Note that many motion and record settings are profile specific so if you are not careful its easy to screw it up. Did you have an SD card in the camera?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Blue Iris Video Tutorials