Funlux/Zmodo NVR/Software Substitute

shed

n3wb
Reaction score
First time poster please go easy on me. Any help much appreciated.

I have a Funlux system with 4 720p cameras. I think they also market under zmodo. The interface to the NVR and mobile is just terrible, but the cameras work fine, and I invested a fair amount in decent cables and cabling. I wonder if it's possible to replace just the NVR unit to something better and/or find some hardware that can just stream it to my Synology NAS.

Any suggestions appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First time poster please go easy on me. Any help much appreciated.

I have a Funlux system with 4 720p cameras. I think they also market under zmodo. The interface to the NVR and mobile is just terrible, but the cameras work fine, and I invested a fair amount in decent cables and cabling. I wonder if it's possible to replace just the NVR unit to something better and/or find some hardware that can just stream it to my Synology NAS.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Welcome Shed,

Are you still in the return window time frame? If so, I recommend you return them right away.

Funlux and Zmodo are absolutely one of the worst options out there right now imo.
Zmodo / Funlux suck how they manipulate the game.

There are many better options.

shed

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I don't really care for the unit, but I've invested in cabling with good Ethernet cabling.

Ideally I can still keep the cameras and replace the unit, but if I need to replace the cameras as well so be it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I don't really care for the unit, but I've invested in cabling with good Ethernet cabling.

Ideally I can still keep the cameras and replace the unit, but if I need to replace the cameras as well so be it.
Hi Shed,

There is a good chance that you may not be able to get those cameras to work with real IP PoE products as zmodo/funlux sells a lot of "PoE" which really are not PoE - that is they do not meet any standards at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be able to stream video from the nvr itself to a vms or synology...but its 2018, and funlux 720 cameras are garbage...bite the bullet and look at the dahua starlight cams.

shed

n3wb
Reaction score
sigh...yes, just looked at your link.

On the flip side, the most expensive part of installation was ethernet installation, and I spent some good money on those cables, so at least that is not wasted.

Looks like I may need a new proper PoE system. Any recs? I'm more concerned with good quality software and integration than I am with the best ever camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

On the flip side, the most expensive part of installation was ethernet installation, and I spent some good money on those cables, so at least that is not wasted.

Looks like I may need a new proper PoE system. Any recs? I'm more concerned with good quality software and integration than I am with the best ever camera.
look at blue iris pc based vms...with pc based vms solutions you are not locked into any one....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi Shed,

Start with this thread:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Lots of good notes there.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
100Mps ethernet with mode A poE uses only 2 pairs of wires, so even if the zmodo wiring only has 2 pairs, it should still be useable.
If the zmodo cams don't power up plugged into a 'real' poe switch, it's probably because they use 'passive' PoE, which simply applies
12+V to the wires. can probably use a 'passive' poe injector to power them if not using their NVR. So the cams should have SOME use
with other VMS or NVR systems. that said, i don't have any myself...