FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I've discovered a problem..

I mentioned previously that some of the cameras would go black and that I'd randomly click and they'd eventually appear again. Well, I'm thinking that it coming back on was not a result of randomly clicking, and was just a coincidence, because I've been checking and there is a lot of missing footage. It is supposed to be recording constantly by default, but there are a lot of gaps. It appears to be completely random, both with the length of the gap and with the camera that is missing footage.

I've also seen cars driving and completely disappear.

There's definitely something wrong here. I'm just not sure what it is. Hopefully it's not the cabling.

Any ideas?
Hi,

Chances are there is a configuration issue.

You need to be certain the cameras are set to record 24 7. I'm still learning this so I can't readily give a step by step instruction on this from memory.

Also, cabling errors / connection issues are possible - however if the issue seems to be random then I don't think it would be a cabling issue - as typically if we are careful we don't screw up on too many cables.. perhaps just one or 2 - I had to redo a cable connection myself ;-)

When you go to search pick thurdays 10/5/2017 date and you should see a green bar showing the recording times available to review when looking at the OSD after having selected the cameras. You should have the green bar available up to the time you are looking at it showing that the cameras have recordings up to that time.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I've discovered a problem..

I mentioned previously that some of the cameras would go black and that I'd randomly click and they'd eventually appear again. Well, I'm thinking that it coming back on was not a result of randomly clicking, and was just a coincidence, because I've been checking and there is a lot of missing footage. It is supposed to be recording constantly by default, but there are a lot of gaps. It appears to be completely random, both with the length of the gap and with the camera that is missing footage.

I've also seen cars driving and completely disappear.

There's definitely something wrong here. I'm just not sure what it is. Hopefully it's not the cabling.

Any ideas?
Well, I've had the live view on for over 30 minutes without it cutting out, and now checking the recording there are gaps.. So, I don't think it is the wiring. That's good news.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Chances are there is a configuration issue.

You need to be certain the cameras are set to record 24 7. I'm still learning this so I can't readily give a step by step instruction on this from memory.

Also, cabling errors / connection issues are possible - however if the issue seems to be random then I don't think it would be a cabling issue - as typically if we are careful we don't screw up on too many cables.. perhaps just one or 2 - I had to redo a cable connection myself ;-)

When you go to search pick thurdays 10/5/2017 date and you should see a green bar showing the recording times available to review when looking at the OSD after having selected the cameras. You should have the green bar available up to the time you are looking at it showing that the cameras have recordings up to that time.
There are random gaps on the green bar ever since we setup the cameras on the first day through today.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are random gaps on the green bar ever since we setup the cameras on the first day through today.
Hmmm.... I'm guessing here at this point, Try to unplug all but one camera and let us see if that makes a difference.

Next step after that is to try different encoding, such as H.264

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I'm guessing here at this point, Try to unplug all but one camera and let us see if that makes a difference.

Next step after that is to try different encoding, such as H.264
Well, looking back, on the first day we had two cameras setup, and even then there were times when one, or both cameras weren't recording. Everything was default then. If anything was changed the first day it would have been the time.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, looking back, on the first day we had two cameras setup, and even then there were times when one, or both cameras weren't recording. Everything was default then. If anything was changed the first day it would have been the time.
Hi SC

I have seen various announcements / warnings that the newer encoding H.265 and H.264+ sometimes has issues with NVRs - thus why I suggest trying H.264

Naturally if you are seeing this issue during you initial bench testing before adjusting anything something is clearly not as it should be. I would try another NVR if possible ( maybe swapping it out with another ) and/or calling lorex tech support after you're comfortable that you can clearly state the issue to them. Before calling lorex tech support check the firmware version so that you will have that information available.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi SC

I have seen various announcements / warnings that the newer encoding H.265 and H.264+ sometimes has issues with NVRs - thus why I suggest trying H.264

Naturally if you are seeing this issue during you initial bench testing before adjusting anything something is clearly not as it should be. I would try another NVR if possible ( maybe swapping it out with another ) and/or calling lorex tech support after you're comfortable that you can clearly state the issue to them. Before calling lorex tech support check the firmware version so that you will have that information available.
I'll need to check, but I thought the NVR was actually on H.264 because I was surprised it wasn't on the latest standard by default. I'll need to double check though, because I could be wrong. Regardless of what it is set to, I might go ahead and change it to see if it makes a difference.

The only thing I've adjusted (without changing back to default) is the time. I've read that some people have had trouble with the time, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi SC

So, I checked, and it was on H.264 by default. So, I changed it to H.265 and it didn't make a difference. I might try turning the NVR off and back on.

The error message saying it can't decode came up again. It's connected to a 1080p TV, and the resolution set on the NVR for the display is 1080p. The camera resolution is 4K at 15 fps.

I checked Lorex's site to see if there was a firmware update available, and the model isn't listed on their firmware page. I read a review on Lorex's site and someone said they couldn't update the firmware, they exchanged the unit at Costco and still couldn't update the firmware, so Lorex sent them a replacement and that one was able to update.

I went to try to reset the time to default and it wouldn't change. When looking at the time one camera is about a half of a second off from the rest. Maybe turning it off and back on will fix that.

Joby619

n3wb
Reaction score
Please keep us posted on if you figure out why you are finding gaps in your recordings. The costco near me still has these in stock and I am considering buying one.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I checked, and it was on H.264 by default. So, I changed it to H.265 and it didn't make a difference. I might try turning the NVR off and back on.

The error message saying it can't decode came up again. It's connected to a 1080p TV, and the resolution set on the NVR for the display is 1080p. The camera resolution is 4K at 15 fps.

I checked Lorex's site to see if there was a firmware update available, and the model isn't listed on their firmware page. I read a review on Lorex's site and someone said they couldn't update the firmware, they exchanged the unit at Costco and still couldn't update the firmware, so Lorex sent them a replacement and that one was able to update.

I went to try to reset the time to default and it wouldn't change. When looking at the time one camera is about a half of a second off from the rest. Maybe turning it off and back on will fix that.
Hi SC,

Time sync issues certainly will cause issues - I had that when I first setup my system - ended up connecting it to an ntp server briefly to get it going properly.

I'd definitely try another NVR from a Costco kit and time sync it and see if it performs differently.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please keep us posted on if you figure out why you are finding gaps in your recordings. The costco near me still has these in stock and I am considering buying one.
Hi Joby,

Maybe worth picking up 1 or 2 kits and bench testing them. I would also pick up another camera to compare it with.

I know I read and read and looked at numerous videos and screen shots before selecting cameras, and honestly it wasn't until I really started to use them that I felt I would better determine what I liked.

I better understand now why people have become big fans of wire free cameras which are easy to setup. Unfortunately they completely fail to capture the images you need in a reliable fashion.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I turned off the motion detection completely on all of the channels and it is now recording continuously. The problem now is that the smart search feature isn't working, since motion detection is off. I'm not sure what to do to get the motion detection working again. I might try to do a search on here or Google a little later because I remember seeing some people having problems with the Dahua motion detection.

Hi SC,

Time sync issues certainly will cause issues - I had that when I first setup my system - ended up connecting it to an ntp server briefly to get it going properly.

I'd definitely try another NVR from a Costco kit and time sync it and see if it performs differently.

Is there a way to get the time to sync correctly without connecting it to the Internet? It hasn't been connected to the Internet yet and I'm really not sure how there can be a time sync issue when the time was put in the NVR and not each camera separately.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to get the time to sync correctly without connecting it to the Internet? It hasn't been connected to the Internet yet and I'm really not sure how there can be a time sync issue when the time was put in the NVR and not each camera separately.
Hi SC,

I recall reading about some using a PC or their Router as an ntp server for the NVR to sync on.

I just connected my NVR briefly to my router to sync on an internet ntp server.

Joby619

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a LaView (rebranded Hikvision 7608) with 4 x 1080p bullets, a Huisun mini PTZ v2 and a couple of wireless Hik indoor rated cameras that I am considering replacing with this Lorex system. The system I have now works fine, but I am looking for something a little more robust and will donate my current system to my parents if this system fits the bill. I've been wanting to try out the Dahua ecosystem and been really interested in the Dahua Starlights that forum members seem to rave about. My concerns about this Lorex system are the lack of IVS features and recording issues that users are currently experiencing. I also noticed that Costco.com has the 4K Qsee system on sale for $849 that comes with more fully featured NVR (IVS/IVA & alarm inputs), a 4TB hard drive, BUT only has 4 cameras. I am not sure if the better NVR and larger HD are worth losing 2 cameras. I look forward to reading more reviews on this lorex and any advise given in this thread.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I turned off the motion detection completely on all of the channels and it is now recording continuously. The problem now is that the smart search feature isn't working, since motion detection is off. I'm not sure what to do to get the motion detection working again. I might try to do a search on here or Google a little later because I remember seeing some people having problems with the Dahua motion detection.

I think the wild card here is the fact that it is a Dahua unit re-branded as Lorex, so who is writing the firmware? It could be a firmware issue.

For a time server, some use timesynctool running on a PC, and then you direct the cameras to the PC's IP Address. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and use that as my time server for my Dahua cameras. However, since you have an NVR, I would think that would be the time server.

I think you should spend some time searching in the Dahua NVR threads, as the answers may be there.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a LaView (rebranded Hikvision 7608) with 4 x 1080p bullets, a Huisun mini PTZ v2 and a couple of wireless Hik indoor rated cameras that I am considering replacing with this Lorex system. The system I have now works fine, but I am looking for something a little more robust and will donate my current system to my parents if this system fits the bill. I've been wanting to try out the Dahua ecosystem and been really interested in the Dahua Starlights that forum members seem to rave about. My concerns about this Lorex system are the lack of IVS features and recording issues that users are currently experiencing. I also noticed that Costco.com has the 4K Qsee system on sale for $849 that comes with more fully featured NVR (IVS/IVA & alarm inputs), a 4TB hard drive, BUT only has 4 cameras. I am not sure if the better NVR and larger HD are worth losing 2 cameras. I look forward to reading more reviews on this lorex and any advise given in this thread.
Hi Joby,

Lots of options and it certainly can be challenging determining what exactly to get.

I heard Hikvision has a newer low light models out, so one option you have is to replace some of those non-low light cameras with the newer Hikvision low light cameras. LOL leave it to me to give you more options.

The thing I really like about Costco is their return policy. While I would like to see more options for security cameras from them, their return policy allows you at little risk to purchase and bench test kits side by side and determine what you like to keep and then return the other.

The nice thing about the 2 kits you mention is that they are Dahua OEM kits as well as they have available ports so you can customize your setup and thus you can connect a Dahua starlight camera to them with little issues.

Another thing to note, the 4K Lorex kit appears to come with a "lite" Dahua NVR model which has an AC power adapter - THUS less fans - and less noise :)
downside - IVS features not supported. Still for the price a good deal - as I spent about $470 for my NVR ( about $350 ) + 4 TB HDD ( $120+ ).. which was a good deal compared to buying the NVR separately from many vendors in the USA.

On the Q-see kit with 4 4K bullet cameras - not a bad deal if you'd like to add starlights into the mix - perhaps ending up with 4x 4K bullet cameras and 4x 4 starlights.

I haven't looked to closely at the companies - Q-see vs Lorex - so maybe there's more to compare. I know a lot of people here really like to customize their setup with Dahua OEM components ( or Hikvision ).

Either way you go, Lorex 4K kit, Q-See 4K kit - or customizing it all - I recommending throwing in a couple of starlights or Hikvision low light cameras - as being able to capture color in low light is really useful imho for potentially IDing cars and suspects.

I also do like the 4K sample images I have seen in the daylight - and believe they are very useful.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi SC,

I recall reading about some using a PC or their Router as an ntp server for the NVR to sync on.

I just connected my NVR briefly to my router to sync on an internet ntp server.
Alright, I'll try to see what I can do.

I think the wild card here is the fact that it is a Dahua unit re-branded as Lorex, so who is writing the firmware? It could be a firmware issue.

For a time server, some use timesynctool running on a PC, and then you direct the cameras to the PC's IP Address. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and use that as my time server for my Dahua cameras. However, since you have an NVR, I would think that would be the time server.

I think you should spend some time searching in the Dahua NVR threads, as the answers may be there.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know who is handling the firmware. There isn't an update according to Lorex's site, and someone said they had to exchange the system through Lorex to get it to update.

The time issue doesn't make sense to me, because it's set through the NVR. It's not like each individual camera was set separately. I haven't restarted the NVR. Maybe that should be done.

I have been looking around the Dahua threads and can't figure out if it's the same issue or not. I think the problem others have had are due to it dropping out on the live stream, but still recording. Mine will stream live just fine but wont record.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This setup is a mess. It's definitely not anywhere near as user friendly as the cloud based systems (Nest, Arlo, etc).

It's connected to a network now, which isn't connected to the Internet. I've been trying to get it to work on Tiny Cam Monitor, and it's not. I've tried to add the NVR manually, but it can't find it. I don't know the passwords to the actual cameras themselves. When in the NVR's interface there's a "Remote Device" page and when I open up a channel there's a password that is five characters long. If I change that password to anything else the camera will stop working. I'll need to remove the camera and add it again in order for it to work. I haven't really changed any other settings on the NVR except for allowing it to use an HTTPS connection under the network settings.

I typed in the NVR's IP address to try to bring it up on the computer and it said I needed to download a Chrome app (regardless of the web browser or operating system I was using). I can't really tell what the app does but it has a lot of bad reviews. I downloaded it and got it working with Google Chrome and typed in the IP address and it allowed me to connect that way. The interface on the computer is really buggy, worse than the NVR itself, but the settings are just about all the same. I couldn't view a live picture on the computer.

Next, I tried downloading the FLIR Cloud app on the computer. After downloading that I entered the NVR's password and it said it was wrong. I tried the default password. It said it was wrong again. So, I went to uninstall the program and now it won't allow me to uninstall it because it's requiring a password which it says is wrong. It looks like I'm going to need to download some program to uninstall this one since it won't allow Windows to do it.

I'm really not sure what else to do at this point. The main source of my problem (other than getting the VPN setup, which was due to my lack of knowledge) is this horrible interface by Lorex. I was trying to save some money but maybe I should have just went the Blue Iris route.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..I'm really not sure what else to do at this point. The main source of my problem (other than getting the VPN setup, which was due to my lack of knowledge) is this horrible interface by Lorex. I was trying to save some money but maybe I should have just went the Blue Iris route.
Hi SC,

Probably not many here who know the FLIR Cloud app well.

For mobile apps there probably are a few people in the mobile app section who know Tiny Cam,

Dahua has an app called gDMSS - there should also be some info on that app here.

The password in the NVR interface is the password iirc which the NVR uses to login to the cameras, which iirc will be a default password setup by Lorex or Dahua. You can change it iirc by accessing the camera directly.

Probably a good time to look at the other sections of the forum here on Dahua NVR, Tiny Cam, and Dahua gDMSS - as well as calling Lorex tech support and seeing if they are of assistance.

Unfortunately during my research I have found no security camera system which provides the minimum viable attributes for a security camera ( reliable, potentially good enough images for IDing - need 100 ppf for this, and includes embedded time stamps ) AND is super easy to setup as well as affordable.

It is possible to find security system installers to assist - however for me that additional cost is prohibitive.