Gas prices

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am sure that there are many small operators reworking old shut-ins. But the majors will not be working much of those, especially if the entire field has been abandoned. When a well gets abandoned, there are procedures that are done such as removing the wellhead, pulling production tubing, cutting surface casing and removing it, setting a plug over the producing zone's perforations in the casing, and filling the hole with cement. Then surface facilities are removed and the land is reclaimed. It is made to look like nothing ever was there. Permits are filed with the respective authorities that states the well is abandoned and government procedures were followed.

A well can be 'temporarily abandoned'. Generally the wellhead is not removed, but production casing may have been pulled and a temporary plug, called a packer, is place over the producing interval's perforations in the casing. Specific permits are made to do this work. To reopen the well requires more permits. Right now, if the well is on federal land, can you guess what the answer would be for a request to re-complete a T&A well?

That's probably more than you wanted to know.
I’m driving my property right now. I have a oil sell on my property. The thing hasn’t been pumping for about 5 years. Every other well is pumping on the neighboring property’s. About 7 years ago they pulled all the pipe and put new in and ran it for a good 2 years.
I do know the quality of the stuff they pull here isn’t the greatest, and they always said when oil is cheap it’s not worth pumping. But they never shut down any of the other wells.

I talked to the guys a while back and asked why mine isn’t running and they say they have no idea, that decision is way beyond them. I mentioned that if they don’t start it at some point to just pull the dang thing so we can farm that piece, but what they pay for rent for the small piece is worth it to us to just have them keep their iron in place.

Reaction score
I do know the quality of the stuff they pull here isn’t the greatest, and they always said when oil is cheap it’s not worth pumping. But they never shut down any of the other wells.
There are many reasons this could be. One big reason that comes to mind is the amount of water that is being produced by your well verses the other wells. All oil wells produce associated water. Disposing of that water is costly. Your well could be in a position in the field that gets a high water cut. Also, as oil is produced the remaining oil is less and more water is produced.

Another issue could be that as many fields have multiple pools/zones of oil, your well could be completed in a small reservoir and is getting depleted. Think of it as a multistory building. Each floor being a separate reservoir, and there is no communication between those floors, no stairwells so to speak. Some floors have a lot of space to 'store' the oil, while others have a very limited area.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm sure this is probably an anomaly, I just passed two gas stations and the price has dropped, hard to believe. One station was 4.79 and the other one was $4.88. the station that is 488 was 509 just a couple of days ago.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
$5.30 here in town. Was up to about $5.50 or so, which I've never seen before. Don't really pay much attention as my company pays the bill. If I drove my own car, I'd have been in an EV or plug-in hybrid long ago. Keeping an eye on some of the EV truck offerings, but as the family expands, it's looking more and more like a minivan is in the future.

Reaction score
OK--- I heard a conspiracy theory for all of you...

Oil companies are driving high prices purposely -- not to make more money specifically, but to generate a ton of ANTI DEMOCRAT and ANTI-BIDEN sentiment and hurt Dem chances in November and in '24...

You heard it here first.

EDIT: $4.59 now in South Dakota.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard a conspiracy theory for all of you...

Oil companies are driving high prices purposely
For me this would be easier to believe if the pipelines and leases hadn't been cancelled by Biden, or if Biden hadn't bragged about the high gas prices being part of the incredible transition away from fossil fuels.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Oil companies are driving high prices purposely -- not to make more money specifically, but to generate a ton of ANTI DEMOCRAT and ANTI-BIDEN sentiment and hurt Dem chances in November and in '24...

You heard it here first.

Hi @sdkid

Biden and his administration have clearly been a big part of the issue .. Oil companies happy to make profits? yes, of course .. still Biden Administration is a big part of the increased costs ..

John Stossel
actually covered this topic very well .. please see the following post on it:

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wish we had cheap fuel like you guys. This is per litre in Oz. The federal government graciously reduced their fuel tax by 23c until September otherwise the price would be $2.44.9 / litre and climbing. That’s 4L to a US gal so we’re going to be forking out close to $10.00 a gal soon. On the current exchange rate that’d be US$7.20
53C1E206-270D-45D4-BC60-E763FC65A4D5.jpeg

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

You heard it here first.

So the oil companies are punishing the entire world just to make a political issue here in America? Don't think so. It's basic economics, supply and demand.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wish we had cheap fuel like you guys. This is per litre in Oz. The federal government graciously reduced their fuel tax by 23c until September otherwise the price would be $2.44.9 / litre and climbing. That’s 4L to a US gal so we’re going to be forking out close to $10.00 a gal soon. On the current exchange rate that’d be US$7.20
View attachment 130347
thats where we are at in ireland now per litre in Euros. Govt did the same by reducing the tax by 20 cents a litre... some fuel stations immediately increased their prices by the same amount so when the cuts came, they were back to the price they were. Complete price gouging.

Stories of people calling in sick to work because they cant afford to run the car. Public transport in this country is 3rd world level and riding a bike is no good when you have long commutes and Irish drivers seem unable to see cyclists.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You guys are lucky. Just hit £2.00 = $2.47 per litre in the UK.

At 4.5 litres to an EU gallon that's:

$11.12 per gallon!! o_Oo_Oo_O
at least post brexit you guys have the power to reduce VAT and Excise on fuel now without having to go cap in hand to the unelected EU. Although im sure BoJo is loving the extra coin the treasury is raking in from it. We "got permission" to do so but are still in the top 3 for fuel prices in the EU last time i looked. Rip-off-Republic.

Reaction score
Biden and his administration have clearly been a big part of the issue .. Oil companies happy to make profits? yes, of course .. still Biden Administration is a big part of the increased costs ..
As others have stated, supply and demand. The only ones making high profits are the NOCs (National Oil Companies), not Big Oil. Consider this:

Back in 2020, before Bido became pres, the USA was energy independent. Which meant that the US did not need to import oil as the amount produced in the USA was more than what was used by the USA. Now that did not mean we did not import oil. There are certain refineries here in the US that were built specifically to handle specific crude, like Venezuelan crude. Those refineries just can't take other crude without very major changes to their systems. This was done many, many years ago when very long term contracts were negotiated at very good prices for crude that was difficult to refine. So that means we had a surplus of crude that was then exported. So when you hear folks complaining that we 'have to import oil due to exporting it for more money', that is just not true. There were long term contracts that were entered into for US companies to supply crude to foreign refineries back then as we had a surplus.

Then Brandon was installed in office and Executive Ordered many things that changed our ability to produce crude. Pipelines cancelled, no new production on Federal lands, disincentives for low producing fields, and no more fracking, just to name a few. So almost immediately in 2021 US production began to drop and we are now having to import more crude to replace what is no longer produced in the US. Also, in 2021 demand began to pick back up as people's economic reaction to COVID changed. So more demand and less production generated in the US. That shortfall has to come from somewhere and it comes from NOCs. It is not coming from Shell, BP, Total, or any non-US major. It is not coming from Chevron or ExxonMobil fields outside of the USA. It is coming from the Saudis, Venezuela, Mexico, Russia, Nigeria, etc. They have NOCs and they are the ones reaping high profits on the price of crude. The gasoline producers and sellers here in the USA and all over the world have to buy that crude at much higher prices to feed the gas stations. That is why the price of gas is so high.

So demand goes up, US production goes down which in turn makes the total amount of crude produced in the world less. Note the steady gas price rise all though 2021. Then Russia invades and the US sanctions Russian oil, making even less available.

Yes, major oil companies do produce crude and the price they get is higher and they will make profits on that crude. But they buy way more than they produce, so the profits are really not that great. Remember that in 2020, they were loosing money due to the COVID demand drop and had so much crude they could not refine it as they had no storage left to hold gas. They had to pay tankers to just sail around and wait to offload since there was no more storage for crude at the refineries. That was why in 2020 gas was so cheap.

Supply and demand. But this country's policies impact the supply and hence the prices all over the world. So when a lib says 'Biden does not set the price of gas and certainly not in other countries' they are right. He does not 'set the price', but his policies control the price.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Me thinks this applies regardless of where one lives and is dependent of who is in power. The reference to Malcolm Fraser - a 1980’s Liberal Australian leader. I’d class AU liberals = US Democrats.

Every time I put petrol in the car or see prices like $10 for a lettuce at the supermarket and I just keep walking I think of this poem. Insert your own political leader as necessary. No offense intended.

“Life Wasn’t Meant to be Easy”

Life wasn't meant to be easy' a quote from George Bernard Shaw
But from that familiar saying your own conclusion you draw
Those words maybe for the masses for those who drudge on and then die
But life wasn't meant to be easy to everyone does not apply.

Not to the children of royalty or to the privileged few
Those who have only known good times and hardships have never been through
Life for them meant to be easy lean times they cannot recall
And life wasn't meant to be easy is not for one and for all.

When he was Prime Minister of Australia back there in his glory day
'Life wasn't meant to be easy' Malcolm Fraser used to say
But perhaps he ought to have said instead 'feel glad just to be alive'
To poor families on low incomes who struggled just to survive.
Life wasn't meant to be easy those words will always apply
To the many on low incomes who suffer through life and die
But not to the children of royalty or to the privileged few
'Life wasn't meant to be easy' those words were not meant for you.
Francis Duggan

Last edited: