Getting started—advice needed!

Talmania

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought my first home and am looking to start with an exterior monitoring solution.

I’m highly technical and in my initial research the Nest looks like the one everyone recommends but I’m not paying 300 a year for cloud service per camera when I run my own storage array with over 100TB.

I will have Cat6 cable run to the eaves/garage/porch and my plan is to run with a POE controller from Unifi with added WiFi hot spots. I don’t want the cameras running WiFi though.

I don’t necessarily need 4K or anything super high end—the equivalent of the nest in resolution and night view would probably be adequate. I’d want to be able to make out a face if necessary (hopefully never).

I’m open to spending 200-300 per camera but definitely don’t want to go much higher than that.

Should I be looking at a kit or rolling with some software solution? Storage would be via NFS or CIFS share to my internal storage array. Also not opposed entirely to a monitored solution like something from ADT or ??? Preference would be to do it myself but would consider a fully integrated offering.

Anyone have a recommendation on what I should be looking at or considering?

Much thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Talmania, welcome.

There's a LOT more to learn here than you may expect. Also note 4K isn't "high end" anymore, you can get a decent 4K camera within the budget you posted.

You'll need to decide if daytime matters more than night time. If night time is more critical you will want to look at the "starlight" models of cameras ( see links below for more info and sample images )

Also being able to ID a suspect - the standard is 100 pixels per foot ( ppf ). Nest cameras are poor for evidence - no date / time stamp, and the resolution and FOV combine to very short ID distances.

Take some time and start with the following notes to guide you on valuable information we have been sharing. You will have a number of options to look at while putting together a system and we'd be happy to share our experiences with you so that you can get a better solution for your needs in the end.

Remember, It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Talmania

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow!! Thank you so much for the great resource summary. I’ve been reading non-stop and realize I have a lot more to learn.

Looks like Dahua is the camera of choice so I’m one little step closer.

Thanks again for providing the great summary/resource!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow!! Thank you so much for the great resource summary. I’ve been reading non-stop and realize I have a lot more to learn.

Looks like Dahua is the camera of choice so I’m one little step closer.

Thanks again for providing the great summary/resource!
Happy to help out,

Also checkout the wiki in the following page for notes that I have been compiling for those in another forum who are new to security cameras:
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99

Have fun!

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the system mat200 linked above.. You can read some of my experience with the system so far within that link.

I've also been concerned with getting them secure on the Internet. Personally, I trust companies like Nest Cam to handle the work for me, but I don't want to pay the amount of money it'd cost. And if the camera's aren't as good like mat200 said, then I'd need a lot more cameras for the same coverage. Again, more money.

Here's my post where I've been looking for advice on security: Easiest Way to Secure Camera System

This post is interesting, but a little complex in my opinion: VPN Primer for Noobs

This is a little easier to understand in my opinion: VPN Primer - or answers to questions you dare not ask....

Hopefully this is helpful.