Getting Started - Camera Selection

keithfree

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting started with camera selection and would love to get a few questions answered first. I've read and learned quite a bit from the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and various posts, which are mostly a few years old. I believe the primary takeaways thus far have been around (1) mapping the DORI areas of my property, (2) prioritizing IR night video quality (or full color nighttime if sufficient ambient light), (3) choose the right camera focal length for each camera location, and (4) more megapixels is NOT always better. Beyond focal length and night recording quality, the only other key constraints per camera are ONVIF/RTSP for Blue Iris and POE. I may need a couple wifi cams for areas where running cable is not feasible at the moment.
  1. Do most folks still favor the 5442 line of Dahua camera, likely purchased from Andy, or are there any newcomers to consider?
  2. Given the suggestion of starting with a varifocal cam, would the IPC-T5442T-ZE be a good choice?
  3. For doorbell cams, does anyone have first hand experience with the Dahua/Amcrest AD410, which is a newer version of the AD110 which is the cliff notes recommendation? I'm having trouble confirming if the AD410 has the same sensor size or focal length. Unfortunately the AD410 isn't in the database that supports IPVM Camera Calculator either
  4. I have a 35' path from the front door of the house to the public sidewalk. In DORI-terms, how far from the front door would you suggest for being able to I=Identify people? My first answer was about 20' so once someone takes more than a couple steps up the path I would be able to fully identify them (rather than just observe). To that end I was thinking a camera with 4MP resolution and a 4mm or 6mm lens would be better because it would lengthen the identify area quite a bit. Essentially I am thinking about passing on the Amcrest AD110 or AD410 in favor of something like the IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm
  5. What are the common conduits used for running ethernet cable outdoors?
Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting started with camera selection and would love to get a few questions answered first. I've read and learned quite a bit from the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and various posts, which are mostly a few years old. I believe the primary takeaways thus far have been around (1) mapping the DORI areas of my property, (2) prioritizing IR night video quality (or full color nighttime if sufficient ambient light), (3) choose the right camera focal length for each camera location, and (4) more megapixels is NOT always better. Beyond focal length and night recording quality, the only other key constraints per camera are ONVIF/RTSP for Blue Iris and POE. I may need a couple wifi cams for areas where running cable is not feasible at the moment.
  1. Do most folks still favor the 5442 line of Dahua camera, likely purchased from Andy, or are there any newcomers to consider?
  2. Given the suggestion of starting with a varifocal cam, would the IPC-T5442T-ZE be a good choice?
  3. For doorbell cams, does anyone have first hand experience with the Dahua/Amcrest AD410, which is a newer version of the AD110 which is the cliff notes recommendation? I'm having trouble confirming if the AD410 has the same sensor size or focal length. Unfortunately the AD410 isn't in the database that supports IPVM Camera Calculator either
  4. I have a 35' path from the front door of the house to the public sidewalk. In DORI-terms, how far from the front door would you suggest for being able to I=Identify people? My first answer was about 20' so once someone takes more than a couple steps up the path I would be able to fully identify them (rather than just observe). To that end I was thinking a camera with 4MP resolution and a 4mm or 6mm lens would be better because it would lengthen the identify area quite a bit. Essentially I am thinking about passing on the Amcrest AD110 or AD410 in favor of something like the IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm
  5. What are the common conduits used for running ethernet cable outdoors?
Thanks in advance!
Hi @keithfree

A varifocal 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera is a good camera to get if you want to learn more. I would highly recommend picking one up along with a small PoE switch to start playing with a camera to really get a better idea.

For me, I find that actually having a good camera to play with really helps me understand what I have read from others better.

Doorbell "cameras" are not good for longer distance image capture .. so if you need a better image capture further away then better to get a dedicated IP PoE camera

1643048702826.png

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:
  1. Do most folks still favor the 5442 line of Dahua camera, likely purchased from Andy, YES
  2. Given the suggestion of starting with a varifocal cam, would the IPC-T5442T-ZE be a good choice? YES
For question #4 I would use a 5442 in 6MM for a fixed lens or just use a 5442 varifocal and dial it in.

My advice, start with one camera, a varifocal is ideal, to get your feet wet and build from what you learn.