Green Horn Questions - DVR/NVR/Cloud(self vs vendor hosted)

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I use cameras digital input or motion alarm for detection within each of the PTZs preset positions.
I couldn't find a way to get the trigger/detection I wanted from each preset postion within BI. I think it may have been limited to a single view, so using camera motion detection works well in this situation

Tinker around with it and see if you can get what you want from Dahua AI handled by BI.

I'd have a play, but I'm so close to getting all my fixed cameras and PTZ's to syncronise /call each other when they trigger.
Worked well for a few fixed and a single PTZ, but now is getting a tad complicated getting 8 cameras to work smart with each other under different scenarios.....

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not know where to begin.

Maybe terminology is issue as I am not familiar with ai detection/trigger/object detection and difference between them all and what you are referencing. My apologies but thanks anyway.
Feels like this thread is getting a bit hijacked.

Out of curiosity is there a brand that people favor? I know you mentioned Hikvision doesn’t have much of a complete solution but does anyone else have something a bit closer?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So then really it’s all about Blue Iris with any NVR?
aristobrat gave you everything you asked for in his reply:
-BI machine as the NVR.
-Record locally
-use windows cloud
-notifications through VPN so it is more secure than any system you can buy off the shelf.

It is the best of everything. You can buy a a computer right for your needs:
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

how to install them:
IP Camera Installation Tools & Accessories | IP Cam Talk

I might be missing the follow up question you have.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok my first question. I see if the cliff notes it says there is an advantage to buying a NVR from the same companies you buy your cameras. However it seems if you do a BI build you’re by default going with a different company. It feels like the info is somewhat conflicting. Am I missing something?

What’s the best bang for the buck CPU for BI? A refurb i9-9900 is like $750+ plus the cost of the WD Purple drives. Feel pricey compared to a regular NVR but maybe I’m wrong. What do you guys think?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok my first question. I see if the cliff notes it says there is an advantage to buying a NVR from the same companies you buy your cameras. However it seems if you do a BI build you’re by default going with a different company. It feels like the info is somewhat conflicting. Am I missing something?

What’s the best bang for the buck CPU for BI? A refurb i9-9900 is like $750+ plus the cost of the WD Purple drives. Feel pricey compared to a regular NVR but maybe I’m wrong. What do you guys think?
Have you decided what cameras you are buying and how many?

This is helpful:
0-500 MP/s
----- 3rd-7th gen i5 desktop CPU (4 cores)
500-800 MP/s --- 3rd-7th gen i7 desktop CPU (4 cores + hyperthreading) or 8th-9th gen i5 desktop CPU (6 cores)
800-1100 MP/s -- i7-8700 (6 cores + hyperthreading) or i7-9700 (8 cores) or the K edition of either
1100-1500 MP/s - i9-9900K
1500+ MP/s ----- Then it varies. Pick something near the top of this chart, or consider a different VMS than Blue Iris.

---

If you are buying Dahua then purchase a Dahua NVR - not a hikvision NVR because the Dahua NVR firmware is more geared to work with Dahua cameras. Blue Iris build you can really use any camera and not sure what 'default going with a different company' means?

---

A regular NVR... You are not going to have even half of the features you have with Blue Iris. You cannot pay me to go back to a NVR after using Blue Iris.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was probably thinking 8 cameras maybe 10. What I’ve read makes me believe I’d probably mostly stick to 4mp cameras to get the best mix of clarity and low light picture. So does that mean an i5 is the right choice for me?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw that but wasn’t sure how to read it. It’s a i7-4790S 3.2Ghz. I’m guessing maybe that’s too slow based on this for 8 cams at 4MP?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I found a i7-6700 3.40 GHz for about $450. That seems like a better box. Decent deal?

Stupid questions but so I’m guessing all the cameras go into a hub/switch on the same subnet as the computer than you assign a static ip to each camera and the BI software than reads them? Is that right?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I found a i7-6700 3.40 GHz for about $450. That seems like a better box. Decent deal?

Stupid questions but so I’m guessing all the cameras go into a hub/switch on the same subnet as the computer than you assign a static ip to each camera and the BI software than reads them? Is that right?
I setup dual NIC to keep cams off net:
Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

You can see some tips how to setup network to make it a bit more secure:
Router Security - Subnets and IP addresses

And you are also going to want to setup a VPN - easiest way:
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

that is not a good deal.
See:
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz
Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better):

Rank (lower is better):

CPU Value (higher is better):

You can get a i5-8500 for $450 if you wait and look:
Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better):

Rank (lower is better):

CPU Value (higher is better):

Maybe someone else can help with what Computer is best for your setup but I always feel buying a bit higher power CPU allows you to expand cameras in the future.

I like this computer as you can install 2 HDD - SFF so compact:
HP Elitedesk SFF G4

Also, the Dell 7060 is very small but only 1 HDD:
Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF i7-8700 8GB 500GB DVD+RW Windows 10 Pro (Open-Box) | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That design works and IMO is the most commonly used. You'll need a PoE switch to provide power to the cameras over the ethernet cable. Regarding the static IP address, each camera will come from the factory with literally the same initial IP (192.168.1.108 for Dahua), so you'll have to add them to the network one at a time and change it to a new unique static IP before you plug in the next one to be configured.

Like @TL1096r mentioned, there is another network design where you can add a second NIC to the Blue Iris computer (if it doesn't come with two already) and put the cameras on a separate subnet. The only thing the cameras can talk to in this design is the Blue Iris PC -- they'd have no access to/from the Internet.