Greetings and some IPCam setup/install questions

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt there would be any latency or struggling. Nothing has managed to slow it down up to this point so I dont see how a few streams would. Its a multitasking monster.

But if its a problem then an NVR would perhaps be in the future. As long as its POE and can forward WIFI...
Ryzen 2700 user here, 16GB RAM, 4 Dahua cams recording 24/7 stays under 10% CPU. RAM usage stays under 4GB.

I have a few new cams that have not found a permanent mounting location but I have had 7 cams running at once and CPU was around 13%

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WIFI is OK for watching the bird feeder but not for security. It is very unreliable for a surveillance system. It also can be jammed or blocked. Your neighbor can watch a Netflix movie and kill off some of your wifi cameras at the same time.
==============================================
I have posted this before.
I did a WIFI test a while back with multiple 2MP cameras each camera was set to VBR, 15 FPS, 15 Iframe, 3072kbs, h.264. Using a WIFI analyzer I selected the least busy channel (1,6,11) on the 2.4 GHZ band and set up a separate access point. With 3 cameras in direct line of sight of the AP about 25 feet away I was able to maintain a reasonable stable network with only intermittent signal drops from the cameras. Added a 4th camera and the network became totally unstable. Also add a lot of motion to the 3 cameras caused some more network instability. More data more instability.
The cameras are nearly continuously transmitting. So any lost packet causes a retry, which cause more traffic, which causes more lost packets.
WIFI does not have a flow control, or a token to transmit. So your devices transmit any time they want, more devices more collisions.
As a side note, it is very easy to jam a WIFI network. WIFI is fine for watching the bird feed but not for home surveillance and security.
The problem is like standing in a room, with multiple people talking to you at the same time about different subjects. You need to answer each person or they repeat the question.

Test do not guess.

For a 802.11G 2.4 GHZ WIFI network the Theoretical Speed is 54Mbps (6.7MBs) real word speed is nearer to 10-29Mbps (1.25-3.6 MBs) for a single channel

============================

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW - zmodo as a brand is not recommended... numerous problems with Zmodo and deceptive product descriptions on Amazon ..

Zmodo ZMD-DD-SBN8-1TB 8-Channel Security Surveillance H.264 DVR
I would like POE though. Much easier to run a single CAT5. its about 7 y/o. Time to buy new.
Eh, time to upgrade. No POE.

What do you guys think about using WIFI to connect the NVR to the network? Too slow? I used to do it with the ZModo.
The closet the NVR will be in is in middle of house. Computer and Tablets are on fringes of house.
It all comes down to difficuly attic space. Only the middle is stand-up, the rest is crawl space pretty much. I'd like to have it under my router, but then the camera lines couldnt be run....maybe outside under eaves like the cheapo cable guys do it.