Guide me to setup a Hikvision Home Security System..

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Guys

After much reading, for a home security setup in Australia, planning to buy the following cameras from Ali Express ( CCTV Camera China or E&M Security. Any recommendations of sellers or other cameras - english version only?)

1) Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I x 3 PoE cameras for outdoors

2) Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW x 1 PoE camera for indoors

3) Either a 8 port PoE Switch or a NVR (depending on setup)

Now I already have a Synology NAS (with 2-3TB to spare in 8TB setup) and a Intel NUC as well. I am literally quite confused on how to setup the cameras..

What I basically want to do is record events around the house. I am not sure if 24x7 recording is best option or motion activated recording during specific time of days and send an email of trigger well (not sure how to do that and if possible).. Read that 720p @ 15fps will be good enough for recording? And that 24x7 for 4 cameras will require around 4TB for 30 days recording? What is the best way? Also want to be able to keep an eye on the camera feed online (away from home)..

Also for hardware setup the options I see are

1) Cameras --> PoE Switch --> Internet Router --> NUC + Blue Iris / Milestone --> Record to mounted NAS drive : Cheapest option..

2) Cameras --> PoE Switch --> Internet Router --> Synology NAS (pay for license of additional cameras) and record locally on NAS : Never used surveillance station and how good it is or not..

3) Cameras --> Hikvision NVR --> Internet Router : Use a hikvision NVR and record on additional HDD put in NVR.. have read on the following NVR ..

DS-7616NI-SE/P & DS-7608NI-E2/8P (cheaper): Apart from port difference (Both have 8 PoE ports which we need) not able to get the difference.. read about one of them (E2/8P) not having virtual host.. but didn't grasp the concept and If I need it or not..

If someone can recommend me a setup and which way to go , would appreciate it... want to order everything asap before we hit chinese new year next month and sellers shut down..

Cheers

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any help guys? Already bought the cameras.. just need to think of the setup..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any of your solutions will work..depends on how much flexibility you want...a pc will give you the most flexibility but it will be the most complex to setup and maintain...nvrs are set it and forget it ...