Having a tough time trying to build my own system..

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@looney I read the post about the sd cards but id rather spend the money to have the working nvr already in the beginning. It will facilitate having everything set up now and just adding cameras in the future as my budget allows. I just need help choosing the nvr now. I think ill be able to start with 2 cameras, nvr,+hdd, and poe injector close to my budget. The nvr i listed is the cheapest lineup in the ali express store.If i went with the nvr416-4ks2 model then id also have to purchase the poe switch. The ali express store only offers an 8ch poe switch so im looking elsewhere. I was looking at this model on amazon for the poe switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not do POE injectors. They can quickly clutter up an installation. When you get to four cameras, you will have four separate boxes to stack somewhere, each with their own power supply, and for that total cost, you could have bought a POE network switch (just one box, with one power supply). The model you link to above doesn't seem to be a POE switch.

When you're figuring out the lens size for those 4231s, remember that the trade-off for a wider field-of-view is a decrease in how far out you can identify something. For example, if you put a 2.8 mm lens on the camera covering your driveway, the view will be so wide that you'll be able to see most of your front yard, but you'll only be able to "identify" someone in your driveway if they're 13ft (or closer) to your camera. Whereas a 6.0 mm camera will have a more narrow field-of-view, but you'll be able to identify someone up to 26ft away from the camera. On the Dahua spec page that you linked to, there's a section called "DORI". It will show you (for each lens size) how many feet away from the camera you can detect something going on, be able to observe it, recognize someone you know, or identify someone you don't know. Figuring out the lens size is a give-and-take, which is why many folks recommend that the first camera you buy is a varifocal one that you temporarily mount in all of the locations you eventually want cameras, to figure out the best lens size for your locations.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay i see the difference now, i would need to add poe injectors for each camera if i went with that switch. If im looking at the Poe network switches its saying that basicaly only half of all the ports on the switch have POE. Meaning id only have 8 cameras powered on a 16 port switch? Is that the case if i choose a 16 ch nvr with built in poe?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Poe- nor vs non-Poe nor;
Consider fan noise, if nor will be in quiet area (office, bedroom, etc)

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what nor is, did you mean to type nvr? It will problably sit in a bedroom somewhere or if possible an enclosed closet. I dont know how noisy the nvr with built in poe is. Ive been reading on poe switches saying that newer models are fanless.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My .02 - it's worth spending more on the cameras especially when you consider the time you spend installing.

The dahua starlights are great, that's what i am running.

I suggest you get:
Dahua starlight varifocal cams
Dahua 8 channel nvr without POE
5 port poe switch with four poe ports.
wd purple or red hard drive.

Plug the non poe port of the switch into your router. Plus the cams into the poe port on the switch. Plug the nvr into the router. I think the non poe nvr is easier and more flexible on the install.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im problably going to go with 1 varifocal and 1 fixed lens or 2 fixed lenes to start. The nvr i posted is a non poe but i can order in 16channel. I would need to get my own Poe switch. But all the ones im looking at amazon seem to be 16port poe switch but only half the ports get poe.

Another issue i think i might have is the "multi screen display", am i correct in that it will only display the camera feeds to one monitor in either 1/4/8/9/ or all 16 feeds? I dont think i would want any more than 8 camera feeds on one monitor. Presuming i have 12 cameras connected how will that work out on the display? Would i have to select a 16 box grid where 12 of them have a feed and 4 of them are black?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im problably going to go with 1 varifocal and 1 fixed lens or 2 fixed lenes to start. The nvr i posted is a non poe but i can order in 16channel. I would need to get my own Poe switch. But all the ones im looking at amazon seem to be 16port poe switch but only half the ports get poe.

Another issue i think i might have is the "multi screen display", am i correct in that it will only display the camera feeds to one monitor in either 1/4/8/9/ or all 16 feeds? I dont think i would want any more than 8 camera feeds on one monitor. Presuming i have 12 cameras connected how will that work out on the display? Would i have to select a 16 box grid where 12 of them have a feed and 4 of them are black?
Hi Wetto,

With the Dahua NVR you have the option of showing various grids when using the NVRs OSD ( On Screen Display ). There are 2 ports VGA and HDMI on the unit - and i suspect only one can be active at a time. The power and mouse cables are super skinny .. so seeing them save money on the manufacture there, I doubt the unit has enough video memory and GPU power to display on 2 monitors.

I have a 16 feed version - and depending on the screen I am on you can opt for viewing views 1, 4, 8, 9, 16, the time I pick more screens than cameras the remaining screens are blank. I am still learning, currently my default screen is the 8 view which has 1 large view, and the remaining views are smaller on the side of the larger view. ( you can drag what you want into the larger view ), the other views all have equal sized views for each camera.

Example for the options on the view are: view 8, select 1-8, or 9-16
Thus to view 12 cameras on one screen you would need to use the 16 view option to see all views on screen.

I opted for the NVR POE version to get me started faster at a reasonable price point, as the POE switches I was looking at were rather pricey new, and I found some really nice 24 port enterprise switches which can be at times had for only a little more than a new 8 port POE switch - IF you catch the right sale on ebay. ( do take a look about here what others are using. )

So far happy with the results.