Hello from a frozen wasteland of communism. JK. Canada!

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been lurking for a while and now I've finally started the IPCam journey by installing BlueIris and a few inexpensive cameras. Long term goal is to have peace of mind and security as I continue to travel away from home base for longer periods of time. Remotely accessible monitoring and interactive technology goes a long way to having an always-on connection to home and a presence even when I am away. This gives me comfort.

Rick

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

Please read the cliff notes in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read, Study, Plan before spending money.
Thanks. As a retired electrical and computer engineer I really liked the "Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs" pinned to the top of this forum.

To help me truly understand the material I have purchased a raspberry pi camera module for bench-top evaluation. Studying the problem from an engineering perspective helps me relate. Learning the space more completely will also help me accept product recommendations from the guys with experience and doing hands on-evaluation.

It appears the manufacturers are secretive when it comes to describing their "secret sauce" which is mostly implemented by code for
inter-frames (e.g., H.264,MPEG-4) and intra-frame only (e.g., MJPEG, JPEG2000) processing and the integration to the underlying sensor.

The following link is a remarkably open discussion by the makers of the raspberry pi camera module. It shows just how secretive the manufacturers are when it comes to their Image Signal Processing (ISP) technology. The entire industry is paranoid. You don't get any view whatsoever from within the walled garden without making a sizeable financial commitment. Even then the manufacturers may insist on providing their own engineers to perform integration into your product. Wow. No wonder detailed and accurate specs are hard to come by. Even the guys making a product do not have the relevant details.

Camera Interface Specs: Camera Interface Specs - Raspberry Pi Forums

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. As a retired electrical and computer engineer I really liked the "Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs" pinned to the top of this forum.

To help me truly understand the material I have purchased a raspberry pi camera module for bench-top evaluation. Studying the problem from an engineering perspective helps me relate. Learning the space more completely will also help me accept product recommendations from the guys with experience and doing hands on-evaluation.

It appears the manufacturers are secretive when it comes to describing their "secret sauce" which is mostly implemented by code for
inter-frames (e.g., H.264,MPEG-4) and intra-frame only (e.g., MJPEG, JPEG2000) processing and the integration to the underlying sensor.

The following link is a remarkably open discussion by the makers of the raspberry pi camera module. It shows just how secretive the manufacturers are when it comes to their Image Signal Processing (ISP) technology. The entire industry is paranoid. You don't get any view whatsoever from within the walled garden without making a sizeable financial commitment. Even then the manufacturers may insist on providing their own engineers to perform integration into your product. Wow. No wonder detailed and accurate specs are hard to come by. Even the guys making a product do not have the relevant details.

Camera Interface Specs: Camera Interface Specs - Raspberry Pi Forums
Welcome Rick,

Looking forward to what you have to share with us.