Hello from Carolina

Radmon

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad I found IPcamtalk. I recently purchased two camera's from Empire tech on amazon. I am having difficulty getting the email to work. Not to many details in the box. tried gmail and yahoo.
I did read the Wiki, however I have a few general questions
How do I contact empire tech for questions or tech support?
Is this the same as Andy@empire tech?
fyi have not tried back through amazon yet.
Camera Models purchased from Empire Tech IPC-HFW1831E 2.8MM Lens IP Camera 8MP WDR IR and EmpireTech IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP Camera 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Starlight Network IP
Thank you in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

Personally, I wouldn't use email directly from a camera. That means the camera is able to access the internet, directly, and the converse is also true....hackers and who knows who else, can access the camera. Best solution is to use an NVR or a VMS, like Blue Iris. Much better security, especially if the cameras are on their own subnet and blocked from accessing the internet.

Radmon

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I plan to get a DVR or use BI, however just wanted to get the camera's running first and to understand what I am getting into with empire tech.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have your tried contacting Andy about your email problem? He has a thread here in the vendors section and his email is listed in there as well as in the Cliff Notes in the WiKi.

Radmon

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, that is what I am looking for. I looked at the wiki cliff notes prior to me joining and it would not let me see how to contact andy . Now that I am a member I can see how to contact him in the wiki cliff notes.

Radmon

n3wb
Reaction score
I suspect it is the user. I have scoured the suggestions prior and the fix is just not jumping at me. My biggest question is on how to troubleshoot it.

Radmon

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: After discussion with Andy the SMTP Server required the actual IP address of the gmail server verses the "smtp.gmail.com" This fixed the email notification for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP . I duplicated the settings on the IPC-HFW1831E and it still immediately shows "fail" when testing the email.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
After discussion with Andy the SMTP Server required the actual IP address of the gmail server verses the "smtp.gmail.com"
That suggests that the DNS settings or access to the servers is the underlying problem. No working name resolution.
Check if the time server has a Test button. If using a DNS name for the internet time server, this will prove out DNS operation.