Hello from NZ

Tourist

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
New to Ipcamtalk. Have been reading for a while and am working on updating my work camera system with Blue Iris. I've bought the license and am working on understanding setup so I have a few questions that the more experienced members may be able to give advice on. Thought I should post each topic separately to keep threads clean.

Old system is a mix. Have 4 analogue cameras on a Bosch system. Search works really well for movement in an area etc. System about 10 years old and things starting to fail. Have another 5 IP cameras on an NVR. Was put in place to catch some bad behaviour and have been able to identify and remove two people and stop some other issues. So, budget is tight, but results to date have been very worthwhile. I'm looking to do it myself because I enjoy technical things (and lack of budget to hand off to a professional)

Will post questions in the installation forum.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-------------------
You are off to a very good start.
-------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-oem-4mp-ai-cam-ipc-t5442tm-as-starlight.39203/ - 4MP starlight+

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/newbie-starter-guide-to-ip-cam-system-–-vpn-setup-–-computer-hardware-–-blue-iris-–-dahua-cameras.42278/

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tourist

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Southern.
Working my way through that list.
Just got UI3 working as part of the learning.
Got to get a POE switch now and prove the concepts on a test bed before starting any installations.
Also have to see how to interface with the work network properly. Think I've seen some posts on here that will be useful.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean " interface with the work network properly". A little more detail would be helpful. Do you mean accessing your home Blue Iris system from work ? If so I recommend setting up a VPN sing OpenVPN. Read the secure network in the wiki.

Tourist

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean " interface with the work network properly". A little more detail would be helpful. Do you mean accessing your home Blue Iris system from work ? If so I recommend setting up a VPN sing OpenVPN. Read the secure network in the wiki.
I'm looking to build a network of cameras to cover the business I manage. Likely to be around 16 cameras. Mix of indoor and outside.
My understanding is that the IP cameras should be on their own network. (not on the existing work network)
I believe I can use a web browser to access the BI pc. (did that on my home network the other day.)
I have 2, maybe 3 people that would want/need routine visibility of specific cameras. (management of access control vehicle gates etc)
Likely that the that those PC would be on the work network. But, as I type this I realise I could use a couple of cheap PCs and keep that all separate from work.

Only other (later) requirement would be for a couple of people to have remote visibility occaisionally. That would presumably require some connection to the work network to remote access the BI unit .

Any pointers gratefully recieved. Will be asking as I go along. Trying to read before asking in case it has already been answered.