Hello from.....somewhere :)

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new here (obviously, the forum I'm posting this in). I'm a computer nerd who is experimenting. I'm looking into Synology Surveillance Station but I need to read up on this BlueIris thing I'm seeing. I've got a lot of learning to do and I really enjoy the tech and trying new stuff. So far I've read about 30mins of posts and I'm quite impressed. Not a lot of "rtfm" responses and lots of helpful folks. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for stupid questions that will come but I promise that I WILL look for answers before I ask them. While looking ahead, I'd like to thank those that have already posted on here and thanks to the helpful replies that I can imagine that will come.

I'm in the United States and even though I WFH, I'd really like to have multiple cameras that I can monitor in realtime, recording lots (just in case it's needed) and be able to access it remotely. (like when traveling for work). I'm not into bragging so this is to give a little background. I'm fairly technical (seen better, seen worse) & I don't mind reading manuals or looking/modifying (basic) code & scripts. One thing that might be a little obstacle is that my family only uses linux (w/ the occasional iphone my wife has). I've got plenty of cpu, ram and storage (also a NAS) and I'm already set up with remote access.

Well....that's it. I'll be on the forum continuing learning and helping others as I can.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. There is a lot to read and thanks for reading, there are a lot of helpful people here.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

ah...I hadn't noticed the wiki yet. I just gave it a quick scan and it looks like Blue Iris is really nice but it's Windows only. dang. I guess I could run a virtual machine instance of windows but then that would produce a whole host of obstacles. I'll keep that in mind though.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A good blue iris pc can be purchased for $250 on eBay withwsome reasearch. There is info in the wiki and the forums on a good windows PC. It is strongly recommend that the bi PC run only bi. It should not be used for any other software. It is a tool just like any other NVR .

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A good blue iris pc can be purchased for $250 on eBay
withwsome reasearch. There is info in the wiki and the forums on a good windows PC. It is strongly recommend that the bi PC run only bi. It should not be used for any other software. It is a tool just like any other NVR .
I agree. I got the PCs (& servers if I need more horsepower). The issue is running Microsoft Windows. But I could resort to that if I had to. So far, looking at the cost of camera licenses for Synology Surveillance Station are absurd. You get two free licenses with your NAS but then each additional license is around $50. (I could get around those as well as MSFT licenses. CYA disclaimer - I'm not advocating anything......I'm just saying things can & have been done before to get around such.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I got the PCs (& servers if I need more horsepower). The issue is running Microsoft Windows. But I could resort to that if I had to. So far, looking at the cost of camera licenses for Synology Surveillance Station are absurd. You get two free licenses with your NAS but then each additional license is around $50. (I could get around those as well as MSFT licenses. CYA disclaimer - I'm not advocating anything......I'm just saying things can & have been done before to get around such.)
There is no issue running windows despite what linux snobs might think. THEFT of software and discussion of same is prohibited on this site. If you steal a software license you are no better than a shoplifter at walmart. If you cannot afford it, dont use it.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is no issue running windows despite what linux snobs might think. THEFT of software and discussion of same is prohibited on this site. If you steal a software license you are no better than a shoplifter at walmart. If you cannot afford it, dont use it.
Very well said! That's especially why I put in the "cya disclaimer". So many times online I've seen people saying "just steal it". I actually work for a software company so we deal with that daily. That's why I mention it. I don't agree w/ it but acknowledge that it can be & has been done. And I agree that there's no issue running Windows. It's just another license to buy but really that's not THAT big of a deal. Heck, a MSFT license is cheap compared to the price of all the hardware we're playing with. Right? :)

Really the only issue is having to re-learn an OS that I haven't had to touch in years.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well said! That's especially why I put in the "cya disclaimer". So many times online I've seen people saying "just steal it". I actually work for a software company so we deal with that daily. That's why I mention it. I don't agree w/ it but acknowledge that it can be & has been done. And I agree that there's no issue running Windows. It's just another license to buy but really that's not THAT big of a deal. Heck, a MSFT license is cheap compared to the price of all the hardware we're playing with. Right? :)

Really the only issue is having to re-learn an OS that I haven't had to touch in years.
You can buy a pc with an i5-3570 processor sufficient to run blue iris in 99 percent of case uses for 100, including 10 pro license.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can buy a pc with an i5-3570 processor sufficient to run blue iris in 99 percent of case uses for 100, including 10 pro license.
I agree. PCs, especially those that come off lease are a dime a dozen. I've got several extra i7s laying around just running Seti because I have nothing else for them to do right now. As I mentioned before, the hardware availability and the cost of any MSFT licenses isn't an issue for sure. I do like running my NAS for all the storage though. The 10gb network infrastructure I'm at now is lightning fast!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. PCs, especially those that come off lease are a dime a dozen. I've got several extra i7s laying around just running Seti because I have nothing else for them to do right now. As I mentioned before, the hardware availability and the cost of any MSFT licenses isn't an issue for sure. I do like running my NAS for all the storage though. The 10gb network infrastructure I'm at now is lightning fast!
you dont need 10gb for anything surveillance related or for that matter, anything that will take place in your home.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you dont need 10gb for anything surveillance related or for that matter, anything that will take place in your home.
Oh no doubt. My home infrastructure is like that just because I'm home officed and it's because I need that type of setup for my work. It does come in handy for personal uses though I gotta admit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no doubt. My home infrastructure is like that just because I'm home officed and it's because I need that type of setup for my work. It does come in handy for personal uses though I gotta admit.
lol, no one needs a 10gb connection for work.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
lol, no one needs a 10gb connection for work.
It depends on the work that you do. When a networking HW company gives your company a new driver and needs it qualified so it can be supported, lots of testing goes into place. Or when a customer opens an issue and you need to replicate it, getting as close to their configuration is a good idea. Definitely not everyone needs it. I'm just saying that if you're home officed, you either test in your home lab, or you get on a plane to go halfway around the world to a company lab to test it.