Hello IPCAMTALK! Happy Holidays! N3wb here asking for help!

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At 700 feet you're going to need more than a Z4E. A 5241B-Z12 wouldn't be enough. Maybe Andy has a recommendation besides the obvious one of a PTZ, 49225 should do it but that's in the $300-400 range and a pretty big camera when compared to a 5442T.
I am planning on installing soffit lighting in the front and back too in the spring. Should I be concerned about my camera choices?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just don't mount the cameras where you're going to install soffit lights near by. The added light if too close to the camera, will mess with exposure. Remember, too, that you need front lighting on the subject, not back lighting like the streetlight provides.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just don't mount the cameras where you're going to install soffit lights near by. The added light if too close to the camera, will mess with exposure. Remember, too, that you need front lighting on the subject, not back lighting like the streetlight provides.
Fair enough ok good to know. 2-3ft away then at least? was thinking of doing 4ft spacing of lights in soffits. so if i put it at 2ft from each light right in the middle would that suffice? You mean ground lights shining at my house?

Also You mentioned the 3241T-ZAS . Am i not able to do basic ai via software deepstack in blueiris?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Two feet should work, but that's a guess. Maybe someone else with soffit lighting will comment.

Sure, you can do basic AI, somewhat advanced AI actually, with BI and DeepStack. The camera AI is a little different and can filter out false triggers generated by rain/snow/fog that normally trip motion detection in BI. That can be mitigated with DeepStack, but for best performance DeepStack needs a CUDA capable, NVIDIA based, video card for processing. A GTX1030, GTX1060, or a few others are the least expensive ones that will work well. Video cards have gotten extremely expensive with the pandemic and bots buying them up as soon as they hit the market.

I mentioned the 3241T-ZAS as an alternative if you want audio more than the AI features.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two feet should work, but that's a guess. Maybe someone else with soffit lighting will comment.

Sure, you can do basic AI, somewhat advanced AI actually, with BI and DeepStack. The camera AI is a little different and can filter out false triggers generated by rain/snow/fog that normally trip motion detection in BI. That can be mitigated with DeepStack, but for best performance DeepStack needs a CUDA capable, NVIDIA based, video card for processing. A GTX1030, GTX1060, or a few others are the least expensive ones that will work well. Video cards have gotten extremely expensive with the pandemic and bots buying them up as soon as they hit the market.

I mentioned the 3241T-ZAS as an alternative if you want audio more than the AI features.
Appreciate this response very much. Understood for the Audio.

My only concern is trying to hide the cameras as much as possible. Firstly I am going to try and get black models or I will use krylon fusion and paint myself. Understood for deepstack and AI. That is actually perfect the video card in that older computer is a NVidia GTX.

That is why I was thinking mounting higher and zooming in instead.

I am torn between getting 5442 6mm or the 2mp 3241T-ZAS for the front and sides of house.

What would be my max level of clarity with this? for licence plates etc 50, 80, 100 ft?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
AT 50 feet the 3241 at maximum zoom should work. Further than that I don't think so. A 6mm at 60 feet won't be able to read license plates at all, even with digital zoom.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AT 50 feet the 3241 at maximum zoom should work. Further than that I don't think so. A 6mm at 60 feet won't be able to read license plates at all, even with digital zoom.
Ok so 3241 50 ft I can get licence plates that's decent thanks very much. I am just thinking about your points for night vision fixed vs vari . also with 6mm what is my viewfield like vs 3.6 is there much difference? Thanks man :)

They're on the cheaper side but what do you think of T2431T-AS 3.6mm. So many choices haha. I'm pretty set on 5442 6mm's just want to confirm incase I can save a bit. Is there a large difference from 2431 to 5442?

Last edited:

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6 mm is noticeably narrower than 3.6mm. BUT the detail is amazing.
Is there anywhere here where comparison pics are posted? I am pretty much ready for my order just this is last deciding factor. Don't want to have to return if i don't have to. How much better is 5442 vs T2431T-AS

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
2431 needs more light. but does a good job at my condo at front entrance. everybody should have at least one 5442 in their arsenal.
lemma see if i can upload a 2431 at night.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6mm 5442, 5442 ZE, 5241z -z12e, 3.6mm 2431
How much of a difference is night vision for 5442 6mm fixed and the 5442 ZE? i am thinking of getting all 5442 ZE so I can install once and adjust at my leisure. I know bit of difference in price does this make sense? I am so torn so many options so im thinking at least i get 5442 ze if i dont like 6mm i can go to 3.6mm

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The ze is a good first camera. esp. if your setting up your system from scratch. i like the 6 mm. for you it might work on a 1st floor soffit, looking away from the house on an angle. anything coming towards it will eventually come into the focal range of the camera and give you plate number details. or car/vehicle detail.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the detailed responses.

one last question what is the deal with is 4k worth it? sorry again so many options for n3wb i am overwhelmed a bit

EmpireTech Security 4K Starlight IVS IR Turret IP Camera,IP67 Weatherproof Protection,Built-in IR LED,Built-in Mic,Support POE,Fixed-Focal Lens,IPC-T2831TM-AS S2 2.8MM