Hello IPCAMTALK! Happy Holidays! N3wb here asking for help!

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs

Went with this....

One SD49225XA-HNR for back of house.

Two T5442T-ZE black color for front and side of house. Figure I would rather have the zoom capability even though need more light for proper viewing. Hoping streetlight will suffice.

Anyone reading this Andy is a gem @EMPIRETECANDY Quick responses. Fluid Transaction. Very happy.

Glad I was able to get two 5442T in black. Will also be getting krylon fusion and painting the base of the ptz black.
Have two questions for @sebastiantombs.
How good is the Night view on the ptz? Should I get an ir blaster for the back of the house?
Will the ptz have a premature life with long sun exposure at the back of the house (is west facing).
Thanks for everything! Very excited to have made a decision on cameras. I'm a long way from consumer reolinks now hahaha

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 49225 PTZ is amazing, but like everything, there are limits LOL.

At 700 feet, you would need to add additional IR along the way....or spend much more than the price of the PTZ to be able to get one that could illuminate 700 feet away.

For typical "hey I wanna see is something going on at that distance" so the shutter speed is slowed down, the IR of the camera will probably be ok.

The other problem with adding external IR for a PTZ is that unless you plan to use it as a fixed cam, the external IR will not move with the camera.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 49225 PTZ is amazing, but like everything, there are limits LOL.

At 700 feet, you would need to add additional IR along the way....or spend much more than the price of the PTZ to be able to get one that could illuminate 700 feet away.

For typical "hey I wanna see is something going on at that distance" so the shutter speed is slowed down, the IR of the camera will probably be ok.

The other problem with adding external IR for a PTZ is that unless you plan to use it as a fixed cam, the external IR will not move with the camera.
Thanks for the response and info. I would be using the camera mainly fixed position with just zooming down the property (long rectangle) when needed with some panning/tilting if necessary. But not alot of side to side as I will have fixed cameras for side/front of house.

Good to know the IR is that good. If I was to add IR I would just have it mounted near the ptz and blasting down the property line. Would that work or would it blind the ptz being too close do I need to mount somewhere else?

Also how does recessed soffit lighting affect cameras. Going to be installing potlights in the soffits. What's minimum distance away from cameras you think?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
understood no problem. you have experience with ir blaster? what you think of this? Amazon.ca
I've found that the IRs with many smaller LEDs provide a much better, wider, pattern the the ones with fewer, larger, LEDs. Adding a blaster style will definitely enhance the night vision of any camera even a PTZ. Exactly how far out is hard to say due to exactly what you local conditions are like, IE an open yard versus an area full of trees and shrubs.

Don't forget to plan for power for the auxiliary IR lighting. I routinely pull an 18/2 or 16/2 cable to the same general area that I'm mounting cameras in just for that purpose. I use 12v@3amp wall warts to power them.

Also remember you'll need a PoE switch rated for PoE+, minimum, to power the 49225 over PoE.

Here are a couple of guides for lens sizes. These are pretty generalized and things vary based on sensor size but they are close enough to give you a good idea.

dori.png

lens sizes.JPG

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like you are moving forward and have made some wise choices. Based on what I see you upped your budget quite a bit which is a wise choice if you have the extra money to spare. You really get what you pay for as you move from good to better to even better. I would suggest you look at the Axton Line of Illuminators, they are not budget illuminators but they make very specific models to cover specific scenarios and distances. Bhphoto is one of the respected distributors.

Link

Not sure what you are going to do for a POE switch, I might have missed it, also mounts? I like the Dahua PFB series personally.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've found that the IRs with many smaller LEDs provide a much better, wider, pattern the the ones with fewer, larger, LEDs. Adding a blaster style will definitely enhance the night vision of any camera even a PTZ. Exactly how far out is hard to say due to exactly what you local conditions are like, IE an open yard versus an area full of trees and shrubs.

Don't forget to plan for power for the auxiliary IR lighting. I routinely pull an 18/2 or 16/2 cable to the same general area that I'm mounting cameras in just for that purpose. I use 12v@3amp wall warts to power them.

Also remember you'll need a PoE switch rated for PoE+, minimum, to power the 49225 over PoE.

Here are a couple of guides for lens sizes. These are pretty generalized and things vary based on sensor size but they are close enough to give you a good idea.

View attachment 113777

View attachment 113778
Excellent information thank you for the visuals really helps me out! I am hoping that the difference in lighting needs won't be too bad on the front of my house and the 5442T-ZE will allow me to make the lens adjustments to what I need and if i end up going between 3.6m-6mm hopefully the quality will be comparable to if I got just the 3.6 or 6mm fixed. Like knowing I have the flexibility to adjust once they're installed. Plan on having one on the first soffit at 7-8ft on far left of the house pointing towards the front door/ driveway and the other one will be up higher as a general overview of the front of the property that i can dial in if needed.

I was doing research last night on POE. I see the 49225 needs at least 22W with IR on. Went with TRENDnet 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Switch, TPE-S50 can do 60W total and 30W on one port so should be ok I hope. 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Desktop Switch - Unmanaged PoE Switch - TRENDnet TPE-S50

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the detailed responses.

one last question what is the deal with is 4k worth it? sorry again so many options for n3wb i am overwhelmed a bit

EmpireTech Security 4K Starlight IVS IR Turret IP Camera,IP67 Weatherproof Protection,Built-in IR LED,Built-in Mic,Support POE,Fixed-Focal Lens,IPC-T2831TM-AS S2 2.8MM
My two cents, no 4k is not worth it. I takes a lot of horsepower and additional storage space to record over a 4mp.
The 5442 series is really hard to beat all around.
You obviously have not played with the lens calculator at IPVM that was linked previously.

Another option is to purchase ONCE Varifocal 5442, put it on a test rig, and get your feet wet with cameras before jumping in waste deep.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like you are moving forward and have made some wise choices. Based on what I see you upped your budget quite a bit which is a wise choice if you have the extra money to spare. You really get what you pay for as you move from good to better to even better. I would suggest you look at the Axton Line of Illuminators, they are not budget illuminators but they make very specific models to cover specific scenarios and distances. Bhphoto is one of the respected distributors.

Link

Not sure what you are going to do for a POE switch, I might have missed it, also mounts? I like the Dahua PFB series personally.
I spent around the same as I was originally planning but I cut out two cameras at the back in favour of the 49225. See how it goes but after seeing a demo video I couldn't resist having that zoom functionality to the back of the property. I went with the

TRENDnet 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Switch, TPE-S50 Should be ok for the 49225 can do up to 30w on one port. 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Desktop Switch - Unmanaged PoE Switch - TRENDnet TPE-S50

does the 49225 not come with wall mount? for the 5442t-ze can I not just screw it right into my soffit?

Thanks will look into axtons lineup

Last edited:

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My two cents, no 4k is not worth it. I takes a lot of horsepower and additional storage space to record over a 4mp.
The 5442 series is really hard to beat all around.
You obviously have not played with the lens calculator at IPVM that was linked previously.

Another option is to purchase ONCE Varifocal 5442, put it on a test rig, and get your feet wet with cameras before jumping in waste deep.
My thought was to get the 5442 varifocals and once they're dialed in to what I want leave them be and should perform similar to fixed lens?

I looked at IPVM and was overwhelmed even more. Figured you guys have been doing this long enough I trust your judgements and once sebastian showed me the 49225 I was sold.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy will handle it. ;)

Don't forget to TEST every proposed location for at least 24hrs prior to permanent install mounting. Things don't always work out as planned.
Excellent ok :) Absolutely I will really appreciate it! Most difficult part is going to be waiting until spring. Hopefully we get a warm day I can at least run my ethernet cables in the meantime

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I spent around the same as I was originally planning but I cut out two cameras at the back in favour of the 49225. See how it goes but after seeing a demo video I couldn't resist having that zoom functionality to the back of the property. I went with the

TRENDnet 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Switch, TPE-S50 Should be ok for the 49225 can do up to 30w on one port. 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Desktop Switch - Unmanaged PoE Switch - TRENDnet TPE-S50

does the 49225 not come with wall mount? for the 5442t-ze can I not just screw it right into my soffit?

Thanks will look into axtons lineup
Example of Axton offerings;

Captureaxton.PNG

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
You are most likely underbuying on your switch unless you plan on having more than one switch.

Also, have not heard any mention of your cabling plan and location of server.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are most likely underbuying on your switch unless you plan on having more than one switch.

Also, have not heard any mention of your cabling plan and location of server.
Really? but it supports up to 60w. 22w for the ptz and 7w each for 2 5442t leaves me room for two more 5442t? I could just buy another switch like the one I just got if need be but i think it would be ok for now. I looked for half an hour for the specs i needed for the ptz (poe+) it was the best bang for buck i came across.

for cabling i bought a few of these . Amazon.ca

I was planning on hooking up one port of the switch into my router which I can access from the exterior relatively easily through the upstairs window.

In that room I will have an older PC I have running 24/7 with blueiris or xprotect essentials. not sure yet will play around with both but I realize the consensus here and therefore the most support I will get will be with BI.

also my previous question which you had asked... doesn't the ptz come with wall mount? and can I screw the 5442t right into my soffit or a small piece of aluminum in behind? I need to buy the bracket too?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those cables are not a good choice at all. If you haven't opened the boxes/packaging, return them. They are 32 gauge wire. Normal CAT6 is 23 gauge. The larger gauge is needed to support PoE and in the case of the PTZ PoE+. The cable needs to supply enough power to power the cameras. The voltage drop on 32 gauge may be too high under the load of the PTZ and possibly under the load of even a 5442 when the IR is on. Those cables may pass certification for data transfer but they won't pass certification for PoE or PoE+.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Really? but it supports up to 60w. 22w for the ptz and 7w each for 2 5442t leaves me room for two more 5442t? I could just buy another switch like the one I just got if need be but i think it would be ok for now. I looked for half an hour for the specs i needed for the ptz (poe+) it was the best bang for buck i came across.

for cabling i bought a few of these . Amazon.ca

I was planning on hooking up one port of the switch into my router which I can access from the exterior relatively easily through the upstairs window.

In that room I will have an older PC I have running 24/7 with blueiris or xprotect essentials. not sure yet will play around with both but I realize the consensus here and therefore the most support I will get will be with BI.

also my previous question which you had asked... doesn't the ptz come with wall mount? and can I screw the 5442t right into my soffit or a small piece of aluminum in behind? I need to buy the bracket too?

More an issue of the number of ports, little to no excess capacity. As Sebastain will tell you, cams multiply like rabbits. I knew I only wanted 4 cams, so I bought an 8 port switch to be safe.

Outgrew it in less than one year :rofl:

You could start with that switch, but you might outgrow it, the good news is if you outgrow it, you can add on vs. replace.

Those cables are a no go at 32 AWG Standard (not a standard for anything but a fire).

I have no experience with mounting PTZ (I do not own one), you might have me mixed up with another reply.