Hello IPCAMTALK! Happy Holidays! N3wb here asking for help!

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
These axtons are no joke. Excellent suggestion. Will see how the 49225 does without it first and then spend accordingly. thanks very much
You can search for Axton here, one of the regulars put one in and was happy with the results once fine tuned except yes they are expensive.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cables are not a good choice at all. If you haven't opened the boxes/packaging, return them. They are 32 gauge wire. Normal CAT6 is 23 gauge. The larger gauge is needed to support PoE and in the case of the PTZ PoE+. The cable needs to supply enough power to power the cameras. The voltage drop on 32 gauge may be too high under the load of the PTZ and possibly under the load of even a 5442 when the IR is on. Those cables may pass certification for data transfer but they won't pass certification for PoE or PoE+.
More an issue of the number of ports, little to no excess capacity. As Sebastain will tell you, cams multiply like rabbits. I knew I only wanted 4 cams, so I bought an 8 port switch to be safe.

Outgrew it in less than one year :rofl:

You could start with that switch, but you might outgrow it, the good news is if you outgrow it, you can add on vs. replace.

Those cables are a no go at 32 AWG Standard (not a standard for anything but a fire).

I have no experience with mounting PTZ (I do not own one), you might have me mixed up with another reply.
Thanks guys for helping me dodge another bullet. Was so concerned with getting the right poe+ switch I hap hazardly chose cables late at night/ early morning.

Just cancelled the order except for the switch. Will start with it and add on as needed. I also have an eero system throughout the home/property so adding a switch on the other side of the house is relatively easy I don't need to run the cables all from one central switch.

Any suggestions for proper POE+ cabling? Can i get away with flat for ease of installation or probably not thick enough for the power needed for 49225?

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like you are moving forward and have made some wise choices. Based on what I see you upped your budget quite a bit which is a wise choice if you have the extra money to spare. You really get what you pay for as you move from good to better to even better. I would suggest you look at the Axton Line of Illuminators, they are not budget illuminators but they make very specific models to cover specific scenarios and distances. Bhphoto is one of the respected distributors.

Link

Not sure what you are going to do for a POE switch, I might have missed it, also mounts? I like the Dahua PFB series personally.
This was one i was referring to Rob where you asked about mounts and mentioned the Dahua PFB. I am just wondering if I can install the 5442's just by screwing into soffit do i need this additional hardware?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Jeesh, I hate to be constantly giving you bad news, but...

Don't count on WiFi to handle traffic from multiple cameras. Cameras are significantly different from streaming a video on NetFlix. NetFlix buffers, downloads a chunk of video and stops until you're close to the end of that chunk. Then it downloads another chunk, rinse and repeat to the end of the movie.

Video cameras do not buffer, at all, and are constantly sending video. WiFi has a bandwidth problem when hit like that. Dropouts are quite common and we all know a dropout will happen at the wrong time. You may get by with one or two on WiFi, but more than that will cause problems most likely.

I mount my cameras to the soffit by spanning the soffit with a piece of flat aluminum. The soffits are sections of vinyl and I take one out by bending the front facia aluminum carefully, out of the way. That gives me very easy access for getting a CAT wire in place as well. I route the cable from the camera in a groove of the soffit and carefully bend the facia aluminum back into place. No holes anywhere other than a notch in the channel for the soffit that's on the house side and that's above the soffit so it isn't seen at all.

I do custom make the flat stock with "wings", I use 2"x1/8" aluminum stock, to make the area where the camera mounts round and match the camera diameter. Three holes for mounting, with stainless machine screws cut to length, and a 3/4"center hole for the cable coming off the camera. I do paint them to match, white in my case, and use an aluminum primer, two coats, after washing with a ScotchBrite pad and dish detergent to get the oxide off prior to applying the aluminum primer.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
This was one i was referring to Rob where you asked about mounts and mentioned the Dahua PFB. I am just wondering if I can install the 5442's just by screwing into soffit do i need this additional hardware?

I mounted my 5442 with Dahua mounts so I have no direct experience with mounting without mounts. As I recall, the bottom ring is mountable so it should not be an issue but waterproofing is super essential. Reread the cliffnotes on waterproofing.

Dielectric grease, coax seal tape, neither are expensive both are essential in my opinion.

Click on accessories to see the recommended mount

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the PFA130 when it's an exposed mounting location, like on a tree or post. I'd use them if I mount on a wall, too, for somewhere to hide and protect the RJ45 connection. Here's a cell phone photo of the bracket I make for soffit use to give you and idea what I'm talking about -

soffit mount.jpg

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Jeesh, I hate to be constantly giving you bad news, but...

Don't count on WiFi to handle traffic from multiple cameras. Cameras are significantly different from streaming a video on NetFlix. NetFlix buffers, downloads a chunk of video and stops until you're close to the end of that chunk. Then it downloads another chunk, rinse and repeat to the end of the movie.

Video cameras do not buffer, at all, and are constantly sending video. WiFi has a bandwidth problem when hit like that. Dropouts are quite common and we all know a dropout will happen at the wrong time. You may get by with one or two on WiFi, but more than that will cause problems most likely.

I mount my cameras to the soffit by spanning the soffit with a piece of flat aluminum. The soffits are sections of vinyl and I take one out by bending the front facia aluminum carefully, out of the way. That gives me very easy access for getting a CAT wire in place as well. I route the cable from the camera in a groove of the soffit and carefully bend the facia aluminum back into place. No holes anywhere other than a notch in the channel for the soffit that's on the house side and that's above the soffit so it isn't seen at all.

I do custom make the flat stock with "wings", I use 2"x1/8" aluminum stock, to make the area where the camera mounts round and match the camera diameter. Three holes for mounting, with stainless machine screws cut to length, and a 3/4"center hole for the cable coming off the camera. I do paint them to match, white in my case, and use an aluminum primer, two coats, after washing with a ScotchBrite pad and dish detergent to get the oxide off prior to applying the aluminum primer.
Ok sounds good I will run all cables from a central source by the router. Good job on your custom bracket mounts looks great! What cables did you use for your install? Going over this now just wondering what you used Suggestions on ethernet cable

edit: looks like ill go down another rabbit hole and attempt to make my own cables :)

Last edited:

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mounted my 5442 with Dahua mounts so I have no direct experience with mounting without mounts. As I recall, the bottom ring is mountable so it should not be an issue but waterproofing is super essential. Reread the cliffnotes on waterproofing.

Dielectric grease, coax seal tape, neither are expensive both are essential in my opinion.

Click on accessories to see the recommended mount
Duly noted no problem.