Hello IPCAMTALK! Happy Holidays! N3wb here asking for help!

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This place is a vast wealth of info. Thanks for having me aboard!

I went through all of this

Have confirmed that Reolink is trash.

And I have decided to go with a poe system with a decent but older PC running blueiris or xprotect essentials.

I am looking for help on deciding what cameras, at a decent price, I should get for my place.

I am in canada. This caught my eye Amazon.ca

Want to support Andy :thumb:

I have a street light brand new led bright white light about 70ft from the front of my house. So for the front could i get away with a all color night setup?

For the back i have absolutely no light. No ambient light from neighbours, nothing.

Should i get a empiretech 5442T and but an ir illuminator for the back?

Thanks for your help as I quickly go down this rabbit hole! Overwhelmed with options right now so If someone could help me and I can focus on next step software and installing would be great.

The property at the front is about 75-80ft to the road. With a T2431T-AS is it neccessary still for me to have another camera for high detail? Should i consider a 2mp vari-focal?

Again im a bit overwhelmed there too. the back of the property is a deep lot. vari-focal there makes sense for sure or am i better off with a cheaper fixed one for viewing?

Also to top this all off I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my soffits in the spring every 3-4ft with 3000k warm white 4 inch size potlights.

Will this affect things and cause glare issues anywhere?

I will only have it on the front and back lower (7-8 ft) soffits not the upper and 45 degree soffits

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. I suspect that lighting could have an effect but I'm sure there are others on here who have had experience with that so hopefully they will chime in here and help you.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome, you are off to a good start, read the cliff notes.

The sweet spot on a fixed focal Andy Cam would be the 5442, the 1.8 sensor would be a significant improvement, especially if you think you might run color at night.

Start though with the cliff notes, and then post more details of your layout and goals.

Cliff Notes

ETA

Oops, just noticed you already started with cliff notes.

How many cameras are you planning?

Do you have a budget for each camera?

Last edited:

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome, you are off to a good start, read the cliff notes.

The sweet spot on a fixed focal Andy Cam would be the 5442, the 1.8 sensor would be a significant improvement, especially if you think you might run color at night.

Start though with the cliff notes, and then post more details of your layout and goals.

Cliff Notes

ETA

Oops, just noticed you already started with cliff notes.

How many cameras are you planning?

Do you have a budget for each camera?
I am planning 8 cameras. Have attached pictures of front of house. As you can see the LED light from the street does a great job of illuminating the front.

Like i said the back is completely dark but I am planning on soffit lighting in the future. Should i consider an IR illuminator for the back?

Also for the front of the house I was planning that top right corner second story and zooming in on the driveway (direction where i am taking picture from) Would that suffice or do i need to go to the 7-8 foot level above the garage instead?

I'm just worried at that height tampering is easier isn't it better to go higher and zoom in?

My budget would be 100-150 a camera. Am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure with starlight and the front of house LED I could see full color pretty well. Also is everyone here a Blueiris user? any xprotect fans? xprotect is free up to 8 cameras why i ask before i splurge on blueiris.

Also is 4k pretty much a gimmick? From everything i'm seeing 5442 just as good

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

The 5442 series is good bang for your buck but a little over your stated budget per camera. Not by much so I'll guess it won't matter. The new crop of 8K cameras, on a 1/1.2" sensor are quite good too, but over $200 each. They perform, from what I've seen, at the same level or slightly better than the 5442.

Keep in mind you're looking at night with snow on the ground that's highly reflective. You shouldn't have a problem at night with snow. Without snow, like spring, summer, fall, it could be a problem maintaining color at night. The 5442, other than the full color" model, had built-in IR which should help in the back. Personally, I prefer auxiliary IR because it is more powerful, has a wider beam and keep the bugs away from the camera.

Either get a varifocal, 5442T-ZE, and set it up with a test rig to find the optimal focal lengths for fixed lens cameras for permanent use or use the IPVM camera calculator to get an idea of fixed lens sizes for each location. The test rig is the best way to do it though.

IPVM Camera Calculator

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The 5442 series is good bang for your buck but a little over your stated budget per camera. Not by much so I'll guess it won't matter. The new crop of 8K cameras, on a 1/1.2" sensor are quite good too, but over $200 each. They perform, from what I've seen, at the same level or slightly better than the 5442.

Keep in mind you're looking at night with snow on the ground that's highly reflective. You shouldn't have a problem at night with snow. Without snow, like spring, summer, fall, it could be a problem maintaining color at night. The 5442, other than the full color" model, had built-in IR which should help in the back. Personally, I prefer auxiliary IR because it is more powerful, has a wider beam and keep the bugs away from the camera.

Either get a varifocal, 5442T-ZE, and set it up with a test rig to find the optimal focal lengths for fixed lens cameras for permanent use or use the IPVM camera calculator to get an idea of fixed lens sizes for each location. The test rig is the best way to do it though.

IPVM Camera Calculator
Thanks for the reply! Have you ever used xprotect?

This is very true with the snow good point. Would soffit lights help? Will give IPVM a go. Yes I am thinking i will get one 5442T-ZE and use it for testing. After that I can use it in one spot in the back to zoom further down the property.

For fixed from everything I am reading it seems like focal of 3.6mm is the best.

My property in the back is very deep. Perhaps a bullet style with zoom and external ir illumination is better than the 5442t-ze? What would max distance be on the 5442t-ze with external ir?

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

IPVM Camera Calculator
How can i find Andy's refurb deals? Edit I sent him a PM

Last edited:

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I run two 5442 in color full time with less light than your picture. I think you would be very happy with one and your existing light. I like 3.6, kind of jack of all trades.

My recommendation is to start small and scale up over time.

I started with one 2231 Dahua (Andy) varifocal to get a good feel of focal lengths. 2.8 makes a good over view but 3.6 does pretty much the same and gets in closer, again, a varifocal would help.

Personally, I am not a fan of refurbs. I have not bought any from Andy but it is just my general experience. He published his refurbs on this site in I believe the vendor forum.

I would also rather have 3 or 4 good cameras vs. 6 - 8 mediocre cameras. I recommend you buy a single camera just to get a feel of how the system will work.

Adding a link;

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run two 5442 in color full time with less light than your picture. I think you would be very happy with one and your existing light. I like 3.6, kind of jack of all trades.

My recommendation is to start small and scale up over time.

I started with one 2231 Dahua (Andy) varifocal to get a good feel of focal lengths. 2.8 makes a good over view but 3.6 does pretty much the same and gets in closer, again, a varifocal would help.

Personally, I am not a fan of refurbs. I have not bought any from Andy but it is just my general experience. He published his refurbs on this site in I believe the vendor forum.

I would also rather have 3 or 4 good cameras vs. 6 - 8 mediocre cameras. I recommend you buy a single camera just to get a feel of how the system will work.
I respect your opinion I am more of a one and done type so I would rather get the 6-8 cameras now do all wiring and be done with it. Respect your opinion on refurbs too just thinking from Andy they would be ok. Understood on the 3.6 :)

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure with starlight and the front of house LED I could see full color pretty well. Also is everyone here a Blueiris user? any xprotect fans? xprotect is free up to 8 cameras why i ask before i splurge on blueiris.

Also is 4k pretty much a gimmick? From everything i'm seeing 5442 just as good

I am 100% happy with Blue Iris, if you have an issue or confusion, you can get any and all answers right here. Buy it from the ipcamtalk store, supports the site, they also keep all your details like license # on file. I needed mind one time, instant access, instant answer.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I respect your opinion I am more of a one and done type so I would rather get the 6-8 cameras now do all wiring and be done with it. Respect your opinion on refurbs too just thinking from Andy they would be ok. Understood on the 3.6 :)

As mentioned the 5442 in a 3.6 in my opinion is kind of the swiss army knife of cams, just my 2 cents. It does a lot of things very well and is a favorite here.

If I was inclined to throw caution to the wind, I would get a 2MP 2231 varifocal, the 5442 varifocal would also be a contender but the 2231 represents really good value, and three 5442, fixed at 3.6's. That would give you 4 cams.

I honestly believe starting slow is the best course of action, but that is your call, this way you learn as you go, and get ideas. Here is a good example, I have two 5442 watching my driveway in full color, but I am not happy with facial detail at 50 feet (the sidewalk), I added a 4239 full color Dahua with a 6mm lens and F1.0, I now get better facial detail and even better low light full color than the 5442. I would have never known that without trial and error.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As mentioned the 5442 in a 3.6 in my opinion is kind of the swiss army knife of cams, just my 2 cents. It does a lot of things very well and is a favorite here.

If I was inclined to throw caution to the wind, I would get a 2MP 2231 varifocal, the 5442 varifocal would also be a contender but the 2231 represents really good value, and three 5442, fixed at 3.6's. That would give you 4 cams.

I honestly believe starting slow is the best course of action, but that is your call, this way you learn as you go, and get ideas. Here is a good example, I have two 5442 watching my driveway in full color, but I am not happy with facial detail at 50 feet (the sidewalk), I added a 4239 full color Dahua with a 6mm lens and F1.0, I now get better facial detail and even better low light full color than the 5442. I would have never known that without trial and error.
At what height do you have this at? Could i get away with mounting it off my second story soffit or probably a bad idea? Just thinking of tampering and hiding it out of plain view. Appreciate your suggestions and help.

the 2mp 2231 varifocal probably still holds its own. I appreciate this suggestion.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to know who did it not just what happened. Forget about mounting cams on the second story soffit. That's too high. Study the links already given to you and they will help answer your questions. In general you don't want the amount of camera any higher than 7 ft off the ground. Vandalism the cameras is a very rare thing, if you position them correctly he will get a good shot of the Vandal if he does damage another camera but again it's rare. Be sure and study the links already given to you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, long phone call.

I have a few 5442's around the house. My preference is actually the 6mm. Much better for ID purposes at slightly longer ranges IMHO. Next is the ZE varifocal. The big disadvantage of the ZE is that because it is a varifocal the F stop of the lens is higher, IE doesn't see quite as well at night. Remember that a varifocal is not a true zoom. It is designed to be set at installation and, basically, left at that focal length.

I've got a couple of 2231s as well, Great 2M camera. I also have couple of the 3241T-ZAS, another 2MP varifocal, but with audio and basic AI for cars and humans. The 3241 is a little more expensive than the 2231 but has more features. In terms of performance I'd say they are equal and might even give a slight edge to the 3241, but that's from my subjective viewpoint.

I'm using an older Asus, RT68U, with OpenVPN and have no experience with xprotect.

You can contact Andy for a refurb list but I think the refurb shelf is bare after the Christmas sale he ran. I just bought a refurb VTO2202F from him and it's like brand new, YMMV.
Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Mounting cameras higher than a little over two meters is not a good idea. Think about the angles involved to get an ID shot. When up higher you get the tops of heads when they're close enough. A PTZ can be higher because you can zoom in much further out which effectively cuts the angle down.

In terms of auxialiary IR I'm using a 30 watt model to light my back yard which is about 70 meters square. It throws light out to the back fence and makes a very significant difference in night vision.

External IR
Blaster

Smaller IR

Here's a screen capture from a 2231T-ZS at night -

back yard night.JPG

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You want to know who did it not just what happened. Forget about mounting cams on the second story soffit. That's too high. Study the links already given to you and they will help answer your questions. In general you don't want the amount of camera any higher than 7 ft off the ground. Vandalism the cameras is a very rare thing, if you position them correctly he will get a good shot of the Vandal if he does damage another camera but again it's rare. Be sure and study the links already given to you.

Thanks very much for your response. I'm assuming the one exception would be a general overview of the property? Thanks I will look further into everything. So much information lol I know once I can settle on cameras at least that is big step out of the way. What is the max distance away I could zoom in on the 5442 vari? I have a deep backyard 700ft. Should I splurge with a IPC-B5442E-Z4E To see to end of property?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At 700 feet you're going to need more than a Z4E. A 5241B-Z12 wouldn't be enough. Maybe Andy has a recommendation besides the obvious one of a PTZ, 49225 should do it but that's in the $300-400 range and a pretty big camera when compared to a 5442T.

Giorgio23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At 700 feet you're going to need more than a Z4E. A 5241B-Z12 wouldn't be enough. Maybe Andy has a recommendation besides the obvious one of a PTZ, 49225 should do it but that's in the $300-400 range and a pretty big camera when compared to a 5442T.
Very much appreciate your thorough responses. That 49225 looks amazing. I am definitely considering that for back of house with an IR Blaster. Will definitely do openvpn with my older PC. I will probably just get blueiris.

Shopping list looks like 3 6mm 5442's for the sides, a IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 for front of house zoom identification and maybe the 49225 but yea that's a decent sized camera for sure.

Last edited: