Help deciding between these two 4k Lorex systems or an alternative

Cam-man28

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm looking into getting a NVR system for my property. Really only need 2 cameras at the moment so I'm looking at 2-4 camera package. Mostly to monitor wildlife but also to add some security when not home. Good night vision is a main point I'm after to see wildlife!. I'm looking at the below two models.

This one looks to have the NR9082x NVR and the camera specs look good with these two cameras:
LNB8973BW
LNE8950ABW
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System, 8 Channel with 4 Outdoor 4K IP 8MP Metal Cameras, 2 Audio 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision

This one is less expensive but appears to have a bit higher end camera with the 9232 (appears to have more night distance?). The other camera in the package is similar to the 8973 above.
LNB8963
LNB9232
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 4 Outdoor 4K 8MP 30fps IP Cameras, 275FT Color Night Vision, Real-time recording

Now I've read reports that the NR9082 is a bit noisy is that still the case? I can't find the difference between the that and the NR9082x but wondering if the x model might be quieter?

Aside from that, based on my needs which package would make more sense? Would I really notice much difference in the cameras between the two packages at night? I'm also open to other brands too if you have suggestions. Located in Canada so would like something that's easy to order and get support if needed.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm looking into getting a NVR system for my property. Really only need 2 cameras at the moment so I'm looking at 2-4 camera package. Mostly to monitor wildlife but also to add some security when not home. Good night vision is a main point I'm after to see wildlife!. I'm looking at the below two models.

This one looks to have the NR9082x NVR and the camera specs look good with these two cameras:
LNB8973BW
LNE8950ABW
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System, 8 Channel with 4 Outdoor 4K IP 8MP Metal Cameras, 2 Audio 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision

This one is less expensive but appears to have a bit higher end camera with the 9232 (appears to have more night distance?). The other camera in the package is similar to the 8973 above.
LNB8963
LNB9232
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 4 Outdoor 4K 8MP 30fps IP Cameras, 275FT Color Night Vision, Real-time recording

Now I've read reports that the NR9082 is a bit noisy is that still the case? I can't find the difference between the that and the NR9082x but wondering if the x model might be quieter?

Aside from that, based on my needs which package would make more sense? Would I really notice much difference in the cameras between the two packages at night? I'm also open to other brands too if you have suggestions. Located in Canada so would like something that's easy to order and get support if needed.

Thanks
Welcome @Cam-man28

The LNB9232 appears to be the lorex version ( w/o IVS features ) of the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW1831E iirc ( this is the closest I can ID that model to ) - of the 4 8MP models in the kits above this should provide the better low light performance. ( yes, the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight will still be better, and yes, you can augment the above kits with a Dahua OEM starlight .. note, it may not be plug and play, you may need to configure / sync IP, port, user/password information. )

The varifocal 8MP 15 fps cameras should be similar to a IPC_HFW58xx model

This is a fairly new model with a larger sensor for a 8MP camera and we have some reviews on that here at IPCT thanks to members sharing what they've experienced with that camera.

I would recommend looking for their reviews on that model.

In terms of noisy NVRs - in general all pizza sized boxes are running with smaller diameter fans that have higher RPMs to provide the necessary air flow and thus do tend to be a bit noisy - so keep it out of your bedroom.

Cam-man28

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Cam-man28

The LNB9232 appears to be the lorex version ( w/o IVS features ) of the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW1831E iirc ( this is the closest I can ID that model to ) - of the 4 8MP models in the kits above this should provide the better low light performance. ( yes, the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight will still be better, and yes, you can augment the above kits with a Dahua OEM starlight .. note, it may not be plug and play, you may need to configure / sync IP, port, user/password information. )

The varifocal 8MP 15 fps cameras should be similar to a IPC_HFW58xx model

This is a fairly new model with a larger sensor for a 8MP camera and we have some reviews on that here at IPCT thanks to members sharing what they've experienced with that camera.

I would recommend looking for their reviews on that model.

In terms of noisy NVRs - in general all pizza sized boxes are running with smaller diameter fans that have higher RPMs to provide the necessary air flow and thus do tend to be a bit noisy - so keep it out of your bedroom.
Thank you for the detailed response! In low to no light conditions, how many feet should I get out of these cameras to pickup wildlife? In all honesty this system will be more to see deer and possibly bear and wolves, so night vision is key.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI @Cam-man28

There is a number of variables which apply to low-light conditions and each night will be different. Basically the stats Dahua / Lorex and others share are overly optimistic imho. See the cliff notes for ID distance as well as some of my past posts on ID distance. Look at the term DORI. Use 100 ppf for ID, maybe 1/2x that for R,...

If you need significant distance do consider a Dahua OEM starlight PTZ. See the reviews members are sharing to give you better idea of how cameras perform for the sampling of videos they are taking during reviews.

Cam-man28

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @Cam-man28

There is a number of variables which apply to low-light conditions and each night will be different. Basically the stats Dahua / Lorex and others share are overly optimistic imho. See the cliff notes for ID distance as well as some of my past posts on ID distance. Look at the term DORI. Use 100 ppf for ID, maybe 1/2x that for R,...

If you need significant distance do consider a Dahua OEM starlight PTZ. See the reviews members are sharing to give you better idea of how cameras perform for the sampling of videos they are taking during reviews.
Thanks. Is there any out of the box system on the market that would come with something that'll cover my needs?

Looking for 2-4 cameras that have very good night vision and a quality NVR. Ideally a packaged system. Are there any brands other than Lorex or Dahua that might be worth considering that's out of the box and easily availble in Canada or US?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there any out of the box system on the market that would come with something that'll cover my needs?

Looking for 2-4 cameras that have very good night vision and a quality NVR. Ideally a packaged system. Are there any brands other than Lorex or Dahua that might be worth considering that's out of the box and easily availble in Canada or US?
Hi @Cam-man28

Out of the box systems - typically there will be some sort of compromise, and I know of no vendors in the USA including the Dahua OEM starlight models in their kits.

The 8MP 30 fps Dahua OEM camera which Lorex sells in the one kit ( Q-see also carries it in some of their kits they sell at Costco USA ) - is perhaps currently the best low light camera I have seen in kits sold by Lorex, Q-see, and others kit brands.

You can augment Lorex or Q-see Dahua OEM NVRs w/a Dahua OEM international model starlight ( Andy of Empire Tech does a good job sending products to the US, Canada, EU, UK, and other countries - often quicker than in country vendors when he has the product in stock. )

note - not all Lorex or Q-see NVRs are Dahua OEM from what I have seen. ( the 2 you mentioned originally are Dahua OEM )

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would buy the cheapest of the two and augment it with some 2MP starlight cameras for the night viewing. I bet the night viewing with those cameras that come with the kit will be disappointing. Daytime will be just fine.

Cam-man28

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again all for the replies. So based on what mat200 has mentioned it appears the kit with the LNB9232 looks to be the better of the cameras available from Lorex.

4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 4 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 275FT Color Night Vision, Real-time recording

I might just go with that kit and see how it performs and add another higher end camera if necessary.

Also FYI, Lorex support said the "x" series NVRs only have the addition of active deterrence? I can't seem to find any other info on the difference unless someone else knows any?

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Cam-man28

Out of the box systems - typically there will be some sort of compromise, and I know of no vendors in the USA including the Dahua OEM starlight models in their kits.

The 8MP 30 fps Dahua OEM camera which Lorex sells in the one kit ( Q-see also carries it in some of their kits they sell at Costco USA ) - is perhaps currently the best low light camera I have seen in kits sold by Lorex, Q-see, and others kit brands.

You can augment Lorex or Q-see Dahua OEM NVRs w/a Dahua OEM international model starlight ( Andy of Empire Tech does a good job sending products to the US, Canada, EU, UK, and other countries - often quicker than in country vendors when he has the product in stock. )

note - not all Lorex or Q-see NVRs are Dahua OEM from what I have seen. ( the 2 you mentioned originally are Dahua OEM )
Hey Mat. Is this the same Q-See camera you're referencing? Do you know anything about the NVR from Q-See? Can the cameras be converted to BI by any chance?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really like the "Rapid Recap" playback feature in their video that blends several videos througout the day into 1 not too fast timelapse.
Any way to do anything like that with BI or other resource?
Looks li,e one of the 4k cameras gives cmos size specs, (1/2.5) but the other one does not. Nice to see a couple vzrifocals in a kit too.

@Cam-man28 give us some night video samples if you do end up getting this system.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
I really like the "Rapid Recap" playback feature in their video that blends several videos througout the day into 1 not too fast timelapse.
Any way to do anything like that with BI or other resource?
Looks li,e one of the 4k cameras gives cmos size specs, (1/2.5) but the other one does not. Nice to see a couple vzrifocals in a kit too.

@Cam-man28 give us some night video samples if you do end up getting this system.
Are there any 25% discounts from Lorex or are you better off buying the components?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Mat. Is this the same Q-See camera you're referencing? Do you know anything about the NVR from Q-See? Can the cameras be converted to BI by any chance?
Hi MrMeeseeks,

Q-see appears to now carry also another OEM, so not certain which model you maybe referring to.

Are there any 25% discounts from Lorex or are you better off buying the components?
Note, the Lorex deals many were looking at in the Black Friday - Cyberweek 2018 period have expired. Not many deals available from the right now ( well, at least from when I checked out their website ). I currently do not know of many deals from US based vendors which I like.

When Andy ( EmpireTech ) comes back from his Chinese new year vacation you may want to see what sort of deals he has available.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi MrMeeseeks,

Q-see appears to now carry also another OEM, so not certain which model you maybe referring to.

Note, the Lorex deals many were looking at in the Black Friday - Cyberweek 2018 period have expired. Not many deals available from the right now ( well, at least from when I checked out their website ). I currently do not know of many deals from US based vendors which I like.

When Andy ( EmpireTech ) comes back from his Chinese new year vacation you may want to see what sort of deals he has available.
Thanks Mat. I just picked up the Lorex NR9163X NVR with 8 LNB9232s 30FPS 4K cameras for $1,1000. I figure that's $137 per camera with a free NVR. They're Onvif, so I could upgrade to Blue Iris if I find a need.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Just make sure the network cables are quality. Kits tend to sacrifice the most with the cables. It's usually best to get better cables and not install kit cables.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
And as you are prioritizing night distance viewing, you might consider adding extra IR illuminators to the mix.
You can get them in various beam widths and power levels blasting out a LOT more IR than most of the cams to help
get better visibility out there...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mat. I just picked up the Lorex NR9163X NVR with 8 LNB9232s 30FPS 4K cameras for $1,1000. I figure that's $137 per camera with a free NVR. They're Onvif, so I could upgrade to Blue Iris if I find a need.
Those look like they're related the the IPC-HFW1831E Dahua OEM cameras iirc, so they should do well compared to many other cameras.
( a ipct review here: (8MP) IPC-HFW1831E Review )

Definitely possible to use them with Blue Iris.

If you need a junction box - Lorex has some nice ones, and it looks like also available now in black to match any black cameras.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
Those look like they're related the the IPC-HFW1831E Dahua OEM cameras iirc, so they should do well compared to many other cameras.
( a ipct review here: (8MP) IPC-HFW1831E Review )

Definitely possible to use them with Blue Iris.

If you need a junction box - Lorex has some nice ones, and it looks like also available now in black to match any black cameras.
Do I need a junction box? I have cedar groove siding over top of 3/4 plywood. It's almost 1.5 inches of material. I was thinking of just screwing them in.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do I need a junction box? I have cedar groove siding over top of 3/4 plywood. It's almost 1.5 inches of material. I was thinking of just screwing them in.
Junction box - up to you to determine if you need it.

I like it when I can not stuff the cabling back into a wall / soffit cavity.

Jbird711

n3wb
Reaction score
MrMeeseeks
If I can ask were did u find that great deal I have an old 720 analog system and need an upgrade.
Thx

Last edited: