Help deciding on new cameras

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading a whole bunch of reviews of cameras members have received from Andy, i have decided that's where i'll be buying from.
I have narrowed down my list based on Features/Price - was hoping to get an insight and some thoughts
(from Aliexpress)
1. IPC-T5241TM-AS @ AU$170 - Only 3.6mm available
2. IPC-T5241H-AS-PV @ AU$177
3. IPC-T2231T-ZS @ AU$177
4. IPC-T5442TM-AS @AU$177 $220 - All sizes available
5. IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED @AU$215 - All sizes available

EDIT - updated price on #4

The only difference I can tell between #1 & #2 is #1 has face capture? which could be handy to link this feature to my HA

Is there any others I should be considering?

Cheers all
Adam

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picking a cam should be done based on it's ability to fulfill the requirements that you have laid out in your plan for that cam's job. What are your requirements for the cam? Is it to be used indoors or outdoors? Do you want good low light color performance or are you planning to use IR at night? How far away from the intended target will your cam be mounted? These questions and a host of other requirements will dictate which cam to buy. Without knowing those requirements, no one can give you a knowledgeable recommendation.

The first three are 2MP on 1/2.8" sensors. The fourth is a 4MP on 1/1.8" sensor and is considered the current top dog in the prosumer line, especially for good low light color performance. I have two of those, one in 2.8mm and the other in 6mm and am very happy with them.

I have the T2231T-ZS-S2 on my front porch and also very happy with that cam. It runs in color 24/7, but I have lots of light on the porch.

If you do not get a varifocal cam, you will need to pick a focal length. Most of these come in three versions: 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm. The lens you select must be based on distance to the intended target and FOV desired. We generally suggest to buy one good varifocal cam first. Use that cam to test your plan at different locations by using a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes. This will help you decide on the proper fixed lens for a specific location.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several of the 2231s too. They're great little cams.

But at the prices that you're showing I'd probably have to go with the 5442. Kind of no reason not to in that case.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens, lighting, camera placement.

1) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
2) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
3) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
4) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
5) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

The best camera to start with
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and info
I've updated my pricing as I realised #4 is dearer. (looked at wrong cam)

The cameras will be mounted under my eave ~2.1m from floor (~7ft) at either side of my house, so roughly 12m (~39ft) apart facing front yard.
Ideally would like to see out to street frontage roughly 12m.
Images i've seen from 3.6 and 6mm will cover all my yard, so i'm on the fence as to which size!!

A good low light cam could be possible as i have a street light pretty much out the front of my house, but in saying that, if there's a cam that offers good daylight and IR night footage, i'm happy with IR
Most of the cams with no IR that use led to light the area are pushing the AU$250 mark, so at this stage haven't really considered them

I'm sure there heaps more to consider, so for now, will continue reading and looking thru all the links above

Cheers

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If the 6mm will cover the area that you need to view, then go with that. The 3.6 will just show you a wider (and more distant) view of what you don't really need to see. Especially if you have two cams covering the same area from two angles. Or varifocal as suggested above. Hard to go wrong with that and you can always repurpose elsewhere.

If you have good light, then you may not need to use IR. Hard to judge until you try it.

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Mike A.
I was just looking at the review for the T5442TM-AS-LED as the street light out front could just about provide enough light to not need IR
Going to double check tonight just how much light is available. May even take a phone pic and throw it up, to get another opinion. But from the photos I saw in the review, I think that camera will work also!!
Am I right that the only LED model in which the LED can turn on via motion is the HDW3449H-AS-PV 2.8mm??

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not very familiar with all of the newer LED-based cams. I'm sure someone here can tell you. If you don't get a response to that in this thread, post a more specific question and you'll have the answer.

Reaction score
I was just looking at the review for the T5442TM-AS-LED as the street light out front could just about provide enough light to not need IR
Realize that with this cam, if there is not enough light even with the LED, it will switch to B&W. This cam does not have IR and even if you use a separate IR source, this cam will not see the IR light.

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Realize that with this cam, if there is not enough light even with the LED, it will switch to B&W. This cam does not have IR and even if you use a separate IR source, this cam will not see the IR light.
Thanks - I also have some bright downlights mounted in my eave that I can put on a motion sensor and use my home automation to turn on in the event of motion - These will definitely be enough to light up the area to enable to camera to see in colour
But definitely something else to keep in mind when choosing - Cheers!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lights that have motion sensor, when they come on, the change in light will blind the camera for a few seconds as the camera adjusts to the light.

Do not try to over think the problem, go with the camera recommended as your first test camera.
===============================================================
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.