Help on Audio over IP Crazy Neighbor

millek05

n3wb
Reaction score
Folks have a crazy neighbor (Jailed once for stocking kids/wife/myself restraining order in place) anyway a couple years back you all helped me get my Blue Iris system up and running to get her jailed in the first place. Thank you! I am now learning that the audio portion of my videos is very critical in helping this disturbed lady be jailed again. My Improx IMP-HD5MP75-W does not appear to have an external MIC hookup nor not sure of SD card?. Audio settings not grayed out in Blue Iris and with OEM web browser (china software) able to “enable” audio however nothing but quiet static coming across so I assume no external MIC and/or feature on this cam. It also has no external MIC hookup.

Had police over again this Friday night and out of frustration amazon ordered OUVIS C2 and now struggling to get added into Blue Iris. Found some help on their site and hopefully tonight after work can get it working. Today been researching audio capture in general over IP and very little info on how to do this successfully. Very little info on what is a good camera with external MIC hookup etc.. In my case crazy lady lives directly across the street and waits for kids wife to come home from school/work and screams threats in an effort to terrorize. I have to be able to capture this audio footage to accompany my video as this will make a real impact on a judge to make a determination. (Scary situation)

Any recommendations on “best type of IP camera” with external mic hookup that works with Blue Iris would be helpful. I am thinking an external MIC route may be better for quality of audio recording? I don’t know maybe audio over IP to blue iris is crap and what I need to get a cam that loops it on an external SD card? I have cat5 waiting for a new cam install. You would think this would be easy enough to just start video rolling on an Iphone when it happens however in most cases kids/wife are to scared to pull it out and start rolling tape.

Any and all experience based recommendations greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Folks have a crazy neighbor (Jailed once for stocking kids/wife/myself restraining order in place) anyway a couple years back you all helped me get my Blue Iris system up and running to get her jailed in the first place. Thank you! ..
Any and all experience based recommendations greatly appreciated.
Hi Millek05,

As you probably have noticed by now, jailing does not help much on the mental health department.

Yes, this is a larger issue that our society has been unable to address as well as they should imho.

For better security cameras, please do take a look at the cliff notes and follow up by looking closer at the threads here.
Lots of significantly better quality cameras than the ones you currently have. ( hint Dahua OEM international models )

IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Audio over IP is not crap, the camera is.
You get what you pay for.
Don't purchase cheap no name crap. Don't use Wifi.
This has excellent audio and video.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

And this one. Aliexpress.com : Buy 2017 Top selling cameras 2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW4231EM AS free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd I suggest with a 3.8mm lense.

Purchase either from the trusted seller: EmpireTech Andy if he has stock, you will have it in 5 days or less.

I'm not a lawyer, but in my experience, best way to deal with this is to NOT engage the lady. Meaning, don't reply or acknowledge her verbal abuse.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
millek05,

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. And your struggles getting audio working. mat200 and looney2ns have excellent guidance.

Check these threads for external mic info:
Bullet Mic Review
How-To: Audio Inputs

Check out the dahua starlight turret - it has an internal mic IIRC, and excellent night video.

Good luck!

millek05

n3wb
Reaction score
All thanks for the input. Sending cheapo back to amazon. I did get it in Blue Iris and can hear sound on android app but still no sound on recorded video. Have a question about recording video/audio in Blue Iris. Once I have the camera up and online via cat5 I assume on the cam setting in Blue Iris I “enable” audio and then what else do I need to do so it captures audio along with the video? When I play back the video on my PC I should hear the audio correct? If not then something is not correct. I also assume I enable audio on camera web interface. I would prefer an IP camera that has an input for external MIC as I believe I will get better audio performance tuning options and placement of MIC if I use an external setup to get better audio quality (wind noise etc..) I have already purchased external IP mic. If you all disagree let me know that as well.

Sorry to complain but real frustrating on attempting to even see full specs on IP cameras as I shop for them. Spec sheets don’t say if they come with a power supply or if you have to order separately if they have external MIC hookup etc… Sending emails to vendors with questions. Can’t you just show a picture with everything that is “in the box”

If anyone has experience with PTZ cam with external mic that works that I can plug in Cat5 and reg power supply into an outlet (that I already have wired) it would be greatly appreciated. I am mounting the cam under eves in front of garage so it is somewhat out of the elements. Android app would also be needed for remote viewing. Believe it or not Improx mini PTZ (Model IMP-HD5MP75-W) works perfectly on all fronts but has no audio. Been using if for two years 7/24 with Blue Iris and not one single issue (once you all helped me figure out how to right direct disk to remove my pegged CPU) Recording on Windows 10 running on Beelink BT7 PC with an Atom X7-Z8700 plugged in my TV via HDMI writing out to a USB external drive. Very simply basic configuration only need one camera but need great audio.

Sorry for the stupid questions I have been searching and just not a lot of info on “how to for audio”

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd also suggest the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that looney2ns suggested in post #3, if you don't have a POE switch you'll want one of those or at least a POE injector for it rather than the power brick.

For audio recording make sure you have recording of audio turned on in Blue Iris on the cameras properties for the profiles you use...

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Please do your self a favour and buy a microseven M7B57-WPS
I will post up pictures on how to hook up to a camera for you
You will hear your crazy neighbor snoring with this microphone

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The specs sheets do list the info you want. If you are looking at Dahua's International site.
You want POE=Power over Ethernet.
So no, most cams do not come with a power supply, but it's expected to use POE.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That cam is crap, sending it back is the right choice. Even on a good camera, you often have to change a few settings to get a decent audio recording. The main thing to check is that the noise filter is disabled.

You should acquaint yourself with your state's laws on audio recording. I think MN is a 1-party consent state, but you could capture conversations that you aren't legally a party to. Some subtle signs that say something about video and audio monitoring/recording might be a good CYA move.