Help with keeping or returning wrong Hikvision nvr model sent by seller

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post here. I've been lurking this forum for some time now reading and gaining valuable information from the knowledgeable folks here. So thank you everyone :D

Long story short, I went with a Hikvision setup and ordered the following setup:
1 - Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P 4POE
4 - Hikvision Dome DS-2CD3132-I

I received the nvr however realized the seller sent me the wrong model, instead it was a Hikvision DS7608N-E2/8P with firmware v3.2.1_150304

Instead of having to deal with hastles of sending it back (to China), I'm trying to find enough reasons to merit keeping this model. Based on what I researched so far the major differences between the two
(i.e. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1285-New-range-of-Hikvision-IP-NVR-s)

DS-7608NI-SE/P 4POE
-multi-language
-IR Remote

DS7608N-E2/8P
-chinese market model
-8 POE ports
-higher bandwith capability

Also, the DS7608N-E2/8P has firmware v3.2.1_150304, someone mentioned in another post that this version now has the "Virtual Host" option, can someone reaffirm this?

Can you guys please help with any more advantages/disadvantages of just keeping this model? I am still awaiting a response from the seller, but I wanted to get some advice here as well. Thanks in advance.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-7608NI-SE/P is old old old. Don't accept it. It won't work with the newer Chinese cameras for starters. Also the 2CD3132-I is not the newer 3-axis model with the better IR but I guess you are stuck with those.

v3.3.2 onwards supports Virtual Host but it's hit or miss. I have one and it doesn't.

It's a hassle sending it back. First see if they will refund some of the money. Not ideal but you have been screwed already.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @Del Boy has said, the ds-7608ni-se/p is an end of life NVR, that said it's still a good model, and slow to receive new updates.

The newer model is the one they have sent you, but is in fact a much cheaper nvr.
The camera's are older models what firmware is on the stickers?
If it's lower than 5.25 your lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@whoslooking is right, still a good model. Negotiate a partial refund.

If below 5.2.5 lucky firmware wise but less lucky model wise? 3-axis mounting is really helpful!

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Yes, I understand the DS-7608NI-SE/P is an older model, but I chose it due to it's popularity and reliability as a good model. I only paid a decent (I hope) $200 for it.

As for the the domes (2cd3132-i), I got the set from another seller who will be shipping it in a couple of days, so should I have them update or confirm (and update if necessary) the firmware is version 5.25?

UPDATE:
I took the nvr (
DS7608N-E2/8P) and booted it up and found it is using a different firmware version 3.0.10_141126, however the box label indicated the higher 3.2.1 version. So I guess my next option is to just update the firmware to a newer version but I will check with the seller first. Is 3.2.1 the most stable for now?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh... misread that. You got the DS-7608NI-E2/8P ? Good result! Update it to v3.3.4 before the cameras arrive.

Do not touch the firmware on the cameras when they arrive. Just plug them into the NVR and make a cup of tea. Once you've finished your tea you will be ready to setup motion/e-mails etc.

Reaction score
Oh... misread that. You got the DS-7608NI-E2/8P ? Good result! Update it to v3.3.4 before the cameras arrive.

Do not touch the firmware on the cameras when they arrive. Just plug them into the NVR and make a cup of tea. Once you've finished your tea you will be ready to setup motion/e-mails etc.
Hey Del Boy, the seller mistakenly sent me the DS7608N-E2/8P China market model (not the DS-7608NI-E2/8P as you stated which are only different by the English correct)? So I should be good to just update the firmware from v3.0.10 to v3.3.4 right?

Also, would I run into the issue of the box reverting to Chinese language (if I read correctly some users experience) once I restart the unit after the update? Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I received the nvr however realized the seller sent me the wrong model, instead it was a Hikvision DS7608N-E2/8P with firmware v3.2.1_150304
You got a much better model than what you ordered. And a good price.
There is a fair chance that the v3.0.10 firmware installed, as opposed to what's on the label, is seller-installed to work better with other-region cameras.
In my view, it will be much better to check it all out without making any changes. There is a good chance it will all work absolutely fine, with no requirement to update.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry... was having a moment on this thread.

DS-7608N-E2/8P. I have re-read now. Leave it on v3.0.10, it's a stable version and most likely to work with your 3132 cameras.

Reaction score
Sweeeeet! That is a big relief to hear. I appreciate all of the advice from you guys!

By the way, thanks Del Boy, now you got me itching to upgrade my cameras! :laugh: I guess I can always pass these on to my bro-n-law who is also looking for a similar setup. Haha!