Help with thinking I'm being watched

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Another good Android app is Fing, It'll show everything connected to the local wifi network (as long as you're connected to one).
I use that, a buddy of mine has a monitor that is always displaying a software that shows ARP changes on the network, forgot what it was called now

myfewsense

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes my picture post was Trolling but it is well deserved in this case! This type of post is no different then when someone shows up and plays the "I believe my girlfriend/wife/whatever was recorded in a dressing room/bathroom/somewhere private and I am trying to access the HIK NVR to delete said recording"... Okay, yea sure...

99% of the time when someone is paranoid about a camera it is because they are doing something they shouldn't. In addition as Nayr pointed out - unplugging shit that isn't yours especially in a business environment is total bullshit and a dick move that in a lot of cases should get someone fired. You come into one of my businesses and start unplugging equipment that you can't account for or don't know what it does will get you put on notice especially when you did it out of paranoia. That device could be a link to a cooler monitor in my case or even a range extender for some of the wireless temp probs. Sure your in an office setting not a brewery, but still the same principal applies. Your at work, if big brother wants to watch and he's paying your paycheck get over it. Pick your nose proudly without a care, or go out to your car on break to do so. 99% of people with video security hidden/out in the open don't review footage unless their is a problem. I personally have way better shit to do on a daily basis then go back and watch footage UNLESS something is likely occuring that I am trying to prove/track down...
I'm new here and want to say you don't know the different nuances going on in people's lives, please do not assume.

Not everything is about cheating or paranoia. I have cameras around my home that are an enormous asset. At work in my opinion, some cameras are misused by the executives to gain a competitive edge over their colleagues.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
At work in my opinion, some cameras are misused by the executives to gain a competitive edge over their colleagues.
What?!?! Using a security camera to monitor and protect employees and company assets does not exactly provide a competitive advantage over one employee to another. Rarely if ever are cameras placed in "executives" offices or behind closed doors, cameras typically protect common areas. Also the context of this thread is in regards to a small family business with the "owner" of said company being at the center of conversation - don't think he's trying to "get a competitive edge over anyone" - Strap on your tin foil hat buttercup.

And no offense but this is going to be your first post on this forum? Not trying to attack you on your first post but it isn't exactly a question or contribution to IP Cameras so... oh well

Also comparing "Home Use" and "Business Use" are two totally different situations.

myfewsense

n3wb
Reaction score
What?!?! Using a security camera to monitor and protect employees and company assets do not exactly provide a competitive advantage over one employee to another. Rarely if ever are cameras placed in "executives" offices or behind closed doors, cameras typically protect common areas. Strap on your tin foil hat buttercup.

And no offense but this is going to be your first post on this forum? Not trying to attack you on your first post but it isn't exactly a question or contribution to IP Cameras so... oh well

Also comparing "Home Use" and "Business Use" are two totally different situations.
You don't know everyone's work situation, but amazingly you reply like you do.

Second, this topic came up in my feed, as well as the post from the woman concerned with the router in their husband's shop. I was clear to identify myself as a newbie. I wasn't giving out technical advice, and I didn't read anywhere in this forum that I had to give a kidney and a DNA sample before replying to a post. Now I know. Thanks.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't know everyone's work situation, but amazingly you reply like you do.
Yea... Didn't say any of that... So... Okay.

Also if you read the entire thread, vs. popping off at one of the first posts you would have seen that the entire situation was explained pretty clearly - so yes, I believe we all understand exactly what is occurring and why their are concerns - so yea, pretty sure everyone knows the "work situation" as it pertains to this case. I would also say that several people provided helpful advice as more details came out AND even gave advice on ways to avoid or protect against future worries...

Sooooo... Good Day Little Sense

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What?!?! Using a security camera to monitor and protect employees and company assets does not exactly provide a competitive advantage over one employee to another. Rarely if ever are cameras placed in "executives" offices or behind closed doors, cameras typically protect common areas. Also the context of this thread is in regards to a small family business with the "owner" of said company being at the center of conversation - don't think he's trying to "get a competitive edge over anyone" - Strap on your tin foil hat buttercup.

Are they? If I owned a small business I'd have the same goals, know what is going on everywhere and be able to ID people. :)

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Tjank you to those folks who recommended the apps. It has answered a couple questions but created even more ! Haha very cool though.

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Well.. i had a little down time today and feel like i have more questions. I found the spot in the store where my normal wireless and the ipcam were the same strength. I was about 10-15 feet from my normal wifi router. Either the ip cam is in the far corner of the shop i cant get to, or its from the business next door. If its from the business next door, i dont understand why they have left its identity open bexause they have 7-10 hidden items which i think are their outdoor security cameras. This still makes me wonder why we have a belaire router that is called xfinity wifi (open), xfinity wifi (locked) and it is also called cablewifi. More work needs to be done.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
The xfinity router id's are from Comcast service. The locked ones are private network, the unlocked one is let of their blanket wifi that anyone with xfinity service can connect to and then sign in via their own personal account info

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Also - I find it hard to believe all the hidden items are cameras. Very very few businesses would deploy wifi cameras, majority are hard wired.

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah i duno man. the guy next door has a bunch of cameras he announced he was putting up. i can see one that's wired. anyway, this isn't my job or hobby so i really dont know what the FUCK i'm talking about, so i'm dropping the whole thing cuz like you guys said, it's their business if they want to use cams in their shop.