Help with thinking I'm being watched

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does the Maryland law not pertain to a private residence? I'm OK with recording it. All the previous footage was just test stuff. No worries there. My hounds running around was about the extent of it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If you live in Maryland I think you can do what ever the hell you want as it pertains to audio/video recording on private property, yes you have 2 party consent laws as it applies to specific audio recordings, however remember the audio portion of a recording can always be stripped out/ommited, however it would be better to have it available if it helps, then to not have it at all.

Unlawful acts. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle it is unlawful for any person to: (1) Willfully intercept, endeavor to intercept, or procure any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication;

(2) Willfully disclose, or endeavor to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle; or

(3) Willfully use, or endeavor to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle. Cts. & Jud. Proc. §10-402(a)(1)-(a)(3). (emphasis added)

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's legit to think that my post came from a place of guilt .. like I am doing something wrong. In fact, it does not. I have worked for the company since I was 20. I am going on 31. Being a young woman and the only employee and having my boss' husband make comments that lead me to believe he has been watching or listening to me is very unnerving. I have changed my clothes in the back room after closing for the day to go to the gym. Things like that. I just think if it is happening I'd like to know. That's where this question arose from.

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
And for the record, I did plug that shit right back in after the first comment was made about how it's none of my business. That's absolutely correct. It's my boss' stuff, and they get to do what they want. Of course. It would just be very sad to find out that he's been watching me.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's legit to think that my post came from a place of guilt .. like I am doing something wrong. In fact, it does not. I have worked for the company since I was 20. I am going on 31. Being a young woman and the only employee and having my boss' husband make comments that lead me to believe he has been watching or listening to me is very unnerving. I have changed my clothes in the back room after closing for the day to go to the gym. Things like that. I just think if it is happening I'd like to know. That's where this question arose from.
If you believe he is watching you change clothes, then it's whole new ball game. That's NOT cool.
But you have to have some proof that he is.
If you ask, he'll most likely deny it.
Possibly the wife knows nothing of what he is up to.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have changed my clothes in the back room after closing for the day to go to the gym.
If you are doing this in an office or open work area you give up your rights to privacy in most states even if you have closed the business for the day and believe you are the only person inside, regardless if cameras are visable or not. The reason being is you can not assume or expect privacy while in a common area. The bathroom however is different, laws and cases have proven that an individual once behind a bathroom door has a set expectation of privacy. If recording takes place - audio or video - on the inside of a bathroom behind a closed door you do have a case for sure as well as reason to be highly offended as well as concerned. With that said though if you are changing somewhere besides a bathroom, while not acceptable to be watched, it would be hard to argue if you were seen.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you live in Maryland I think you can do what ever the hell you want as it pertains to audio/video recording on private property, yes you have 2 party consent laws as it applies to specific audio recordings, however remember the audio portion of a recording can always be stripped out/ommited, however it would be better to have it available if it helps, then to not have it at all.

Unlawful acts. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle it is unlawful for any person to: (1) Willfully intercept, endeavor to intercept, or procure any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication;

(2) Willfully disclose, or endeavor to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle; or

(3) Willfully use, or endeavor to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle. Cts. & Jud. Proc. §10-402(a)(1)-(a)(3). (emphasis added)
I turned it back on for now. I'm putting up security camera signs soon.

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
@zero-degrees : totally true. I didn't have suspicions at the time that this might be happening, but now that I am aware of it, of course I am going to modify my behavior in the future.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would definitely be on guard. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but she could use her cell phone to pick up any IR lights if they are being used?

JLiz

n3wb
Reaction score
@looney2ns You're correct in that I believe I am 99.9% sure that if my actual boss found out about a camera/audio recording she would be rip shit. Honestly, I'm going to drop the whole thing. You guys have been super helpful. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions that this could totally be going on . I know NOTHING about home / office security so I was going into this totally blind. thanks a lot.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not the greatest pic but my IR remote control. My son used his Galaxy S7 Edge and could see the IR when the cams were on my bench. Will try it to night for giggles. 20170224_164107.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on the phone, the vast majority have a fixed IRC filter, mine does.. wont see cameras..

some higher end smartphones striving for the best in low light capabilities might squeeze a mechanical IRC filter in there and open it in low light situations, or not have any IRC filter and use software processing to fix the redshift.. a phone w/no IRC filter in the optical path will be able to see the IR light coming off cameras and the illuminators will be very bright on the display.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How in the world do you do this ??
Turn on the phone camera, point it around the room and look for light sources that the human eye hardly sees.
Even better if the normal lights could be turned off.
A phone camera isn't as sensitive to near IR light as a surveillance camera - but it's more sensitive than the human eye.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Turn on the phone camera, point it around the room and look for light sources that the human eye hardly sees.
Even better if the normal lights could be turned off.
A phone camera isn't as sensitive to near IR light as a surveillance camera - but it's more sensitive than the human eye.
This is interesting,thank you !

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns You're correct in that I believe I am 99.9% sure that if my actual boss found out about a camera/audio recording she would be rip shit. Honestly, I'm going to drop the whole thing. You guys have been super helpful. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions that this could totally be going on . I know NOTHING about home / office security so I was going into this totally blind. thanks a lot.
As the old saying goes, when there is a will, there is a way. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you know this already but, guys are pigs. :)