Hi folks

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi everyone

Been looking round here for awhile and have enjoyed the posts

Pretty much a newb but have a question so thought it time to post.

I’m looking for a high quality turret cam outdoor/indoor that I can run off 12v with sd card.

Absolute requirements are facial and number plate recognition. Will need detail of 12v power pac that runs camera as I understand not any 12v pack will do

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi everyone

Been looking round here for awhile and have enjoyed the posts

Pretty much a newb but have a question so thought it time to post.

I’m looking for a high quality turret cam outdoor/indoor that I can run off 12v with sd card.

Absolute requirements are facial and number plate recognition. Will need detail of 12v power pac that runs camera as I understand not any 12v pack will do

Thanks
Welcome Arlobillz

You may need 2 cameras - as catching license numbers at night requires turning of the camera which makes the rest of the image super dark.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many thanks for the welcomes and the helpful posts
Gonna read the suggested links and will get back after.

Thanks again :)

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, thanks folks, very informative and plenty to chew over.

It seems the dahua camera suggested should fit the bill nicely. I heard there have been some security concerns about 'calling home' with dahua.

How is that situation now ?

Can someone recommend a 12v power supply I can buy in the Uk (230/240 volts supply) if that makes any differance to that choice.

Also if I decide later to go the POE route which switch or injector would be advised ( 2 camera system) and perhaps go the whole hog an NVR.

Its a lot of questions for one post but this is a helpful place so I'm chancing my arm

Thanks

Last edited:

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry folks, one more thing, being that I'm in the UK is there anything else I should be aware of when ordering these cameras ?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry folks, one more thing, being that I'm in the UK is there anything else I should be aware of when ordering these cameras ?

Thanks
Hi Arlobillz,

I prefer a nice small PoE switch - even a 4 port will work for your situation.
There's a number of decent options, so I'll let others chime in on their preferred ones.
Note Giomania has a listing of PoE switches - iirc a link is also in the notes.

You should in general:
Disable UPnP on your router, use a VPN, change default passwords on all internet connected devices.

With the international Dahua OEM models you have less to worry about than the Chinese market versions.

We have a number of UK members here, and the principle referenced vendor who is also a member here has sold and shipped cameras to the UK and he does a good job so I think you will have little worries.
( His name is Andy EmpireTecAndy = user, please see #15 in my notes )

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Mat, thanks for that info. Shall I go for managed or unmanaged switch ?
I’ve dived in and bought a couple of the recommended cameras today from Andy so made a start. According to Ali express website shipping takes 7-15 days so hopefully well before Christmas.
Trying to Identify a compatible 12v power supply (Poe try later) and have posted on the relevant cam thread so hopefully get an answer.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat, thanks for that info. Shall I go for managed or unmanaged switch ?
I’ve dived in and bought a couple of the recommended cameras today from Andy so made a start. According to Ali express website shipping takes 7-15 days so hopefully well before Christmas.
Trying to Identify a compatible 12v power supply (Poe try later) and have posted on the relevant cam thread so hopefully get an answer.
Hi Arlobillz,

I like unmanaged for simplicity and lower cost.

You can ask Andy to help you get a AC power adapter for the cameras you order.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What Else Do I Need ?

Morning, not exactly sure where to post this so will do it here ( but happy to be redirected if wrong)

I will have 2 cams and a 4 port switch ( ditched PS idea as this setup is now a priority, going with switch now)

I intend to run blue iris ( when I've learnt how to use it) on my comp if its capable. ( posted ? in nvr/comp forum)

I use a netgear wndr3700v4 wireless cable router
I have a synology NAS DS215j ( if its useful)
Apart from ethernet cable ( cat 6a I thought) is there anything else I would need to setup this system to be able to monitor and record ?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Arlobillz,

Quality solid copper wires in either cat5e or cat6 cable is fine, no need to spend extra on cat6a. ( just do not get CCA or super thin versions )

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Mat
Ive looked at ethernet cables on amazon and ebay, havent seen copper wires in the description. Is there a particular brand that is reliable or do I just put copper wire in with search ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat
Ive looked at ethernet cables on amazon and ebay, havent seen copper wires in the description. Is there a particular brand that is reliable or do I just put copper wire in with search ?
Hi Arlobillz,

Are you in the states?

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi folks
Can someone explain why connecting to home cams remotely through an android phone via a vpn connection on phone is not secure
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Can someone explain why connecting to home cams remotely through an android phone via a vpn connection on phone is not secure
Thanks
who said its not secure...it is the most secure way...assuming you are referring to a VPN where you have a vpn server at home and connect via a client on your phone