Hi folks

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, Im not actually doing it. Just wanted someone to explain why connecting that way would not be secure.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have looked at that thread. I know it said that this way of connecting wasnt secure but I cannot remeber it giving a technical explanation as to why.
I'll look again
Thanks

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I buy an asus vpn router and plug it in to my resident router ( Netgear wndr3700v4) can I setup the asus router via its vpn client with a subscription vpn pia[ already have paid for sub] will this then work without any other configuring of either the new router [asus] or the resident Netgear router. If this is so presumably anything connected to the new router will be secured. Will there be away to be able to connect back and forth between routers ?
Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I buy an asus vpn router and plug it in to my resident router ( Netgear wndr3700v4) can I setup the asus router via its vpn client with a subscription vpn pia[ already have paid for sub] will this then work without any other configuring of either the new router [asus] or the resident Netgear router. If this is so presumably anything connected to the new router will be secured. Will there be away to be able to connect back and forth between routers ?
Thanks
You are confused....the PIA paid vpn service does nothing for you...all it does it hide your ip address from websites your browse...it does not secure your connection when using a remote device to access you home network...
You want to run the openVPN SERVER that the asus has. Its free.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will get my head around this. Thanks for your reply
Hi Arlobillz,

Did you ever watch Stargate sci-fi? With the large circular portal which connected with other worlds?
Or played games like diablo which allowed you to teleport between levels and the home base?

Try thinking of it this way:

PIA VPN - Using this allows you to go from your home portal to other portals on other worlds - in this case from your router to other locations on the internet based on PIA PVN servers.

Now you want to run your own VPN server on your Router at home, allowing You from outside of your world to come back into your world whenever you activate your "portal"

Hopefully this makes some sense.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello fenerman and mat

Thanks for holding my hand on this one.

Can I just run through my sketchy understanding of the position

I have read through the vpn for noobs but still fail to understand sufficiently why I am insecure/secure adopting certain paths.

My situation is that I do not understand how my cams are vunerable from the internet. If I connect to cams from my own network at home I am told I am secure.

Why am I secure?

I read that the dahua cams possibly have a calling home exploit

As soon as I connect using an outside of my own lan connection I am not.

Why am I not secure?

The other thing I wish to know is I have purchased an Asus wrt router; is there any advantage in connecting this to my resident netgear router ( no native vpn ) and setting up vpn on the new asus.

I understood the advantage of this would be easy switching from the vpn secure network to the normal network ( some websites I connect to will not let me use a vpn)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello fenerman and mat

Thanks for holding my hand on this one.

Can I just run through my sketchy understanding of the position

I have read through the vpn for noobs but still fail to understand sufficiently why I am insecure/secure adopting certain paths.

My situation is that I do not understand how my cams are vunerable from the internet. If I connect to cams from my own network at home I am told I am secure.

Why am I secure?

I read that the dahua cams possibly have a calling home exploit

As soon as I connect using an outside of my own lan connection I am not.

Why am I not secure?

The other thing I wish to know is I have purchased an Asus wrt router; is there any advantage in connecting this to my resident netgear router ( no native vpn ) and setting up vpn on the new asus.

I understood the advantage of this would be easy switching from the vpn secure network to the normal network ( some websites I connect to will not let me use a vpn)
You are not secure when remotely viewing cameras without a VPN SERVER running in your house AND using a VPN client on your phone to make a secure connection. The reason is that you will have to port forward the camera, that means anyone with an internet connection can access it....these hackers run bots and scan ip addresses....they pray on vulnerabilities in the camera firmware.
Once again you are confusing two types of vpn.
step 1 - CANCEL your PIA vpn service...it does absolutely nothing for you. Waste of money and slows you down.
step 2- disconnect your netgear router and use the asus as your router...setup openvpn, download the app and make a secure connection using your phone...none of the websites you visit will be affected by your vpn server as it will only be used when you connect remotely. The websites not like ip address masking vpn services like pia.
remember to disable upnp in BOTH the router and cameras..disable any p2p/platform access as well.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have another question and apologise in advance if its stupid.
If I connect remotely to my cameras using a mobile data connection do all the security problems highlighted in the previous post by fenderman still apply

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have another question and apologise in advance if its stupid.
If I connect remotely to my cameras using a mobile data connection do all the security problems highlighted in the previous post by fenderman still apply
Yes, absolutely.
Read how to secure your network in the wiki at the top of the page.
If not using a VPN, it's like leaving the front door on your house unlocked and wide open, thus anyone can get in.
Same thing when it comes to the internet if you don't have a properly setup VPN between your router and your remote device.
If you have problems setting this up, hire the neighborhood computer geek to do it for you.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

I had in fact setup the open vpn on an asus router but had variuos problems with the router unrelated I think to the vpn so sent it back.

Once I set up an open vpn will this protect my network when using other comps/tablets to connect to the internet as well as providing a secure connection for remote access to my cameras?