Hi from San Diego; not new to ip cams, but trying to learn more

Mojave66

n3wb
Reaction score
I've lurked in this forum for a bit now and like what I see. Thanks for having this!

I've been running a completely DIY system for the last few years. I really haven't done much research. Just scrapped together cameras over time, first to keep an eye on old cats, now to keep an eye on the house and yard.

All of my cameras are from Sharx Security. They've worked great, so I keep buying them. They are all wifi cams in various locations around the house and two outside. I record them directly to a NetGear NAS (well, ReadyShare) onto an old external HDD that does pretty well. Sharx is just not keeping up with the latest specs I see on other cameras which are actually cheaper. So I'm just starting to research them.

I use AnyCam on my Windows PC and TinyCam on my Android Phone - both work great. I do have ports open to the cams which I know is a no-no. I have a new router which supports VPN so I will be switching to that.

I guess I am just saying hi, but I do have a few questions:

Everyone seems to run Blue Iris. What is the benefit of that over my own DIY system (no specialized NVR or anything, just recording video to my NAS)?

I've been looking at Amcrest for a new outdoor wifi cam (specifically the IP4M-1026W). It suits my needs, I've never had trouble with bullet cams and spider webs. Is there anything I should look out for with that cam?

Thanks again!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Mojave66,

I REALLY dislike the form factor that Amcrest has introduced - so very hard to get those cameras mounted and aligned right so that it does not look like you were drunk off your bottom mounting them due to the hex cross section.

For the price you can get a better camera imho.

Please do take some time and check out the notes which Looney2ns has referred you to.