High CPU Consumption

cavester

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently experimenting with Blue Iris using their latest demo, initially wanted to look at Milestone but their licensing is too expensive for my needs.

Anyway I have a Server on which I am using HyperV to host a single VM for my NVR. The host is a Xeon E5-2650 V2 @ 2.60GHz (8 cores 16 logical processors) with 64GB RAM. The NVR VM on which I am running the Blue Iris demo is provided with 4 virtual processors and 16GB RAM. Nothing else is running on the system at present.

I have added 4 Hikvision 3mp cams and I am finding the CPU is consistently around 80% on all 4 virtual processors, even when not recording anything. Changing the fps output on the cams from 25 to 15 made no difference at all.

Is this normal or is there something a miss in my setup?

Any advice welcome from those more experienced.

Many thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...in the record tab of each camera, select direct to disc recording..this will significantly improve cpu use. When you allocate 4 virtual processors is do you know what percentage of the cpu that is?
Also are you running this as a headless unit and remoting in?

cavester

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Sorry I should have also said I am already running D2D on all 4 cameras. Even with the interface fps to 5fps it makes no difference either, always stays around 80% CPU. I should also note this is the x64 version of BI running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

HyperV should use full cores as there is nothing else on the system as yet.

It is headless and I am connecting using RDP, however direct makes little difference either.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have dedicated all the cpu to the VM then 80 percent is crazy high...it should be around 10 percent...i have never run a vm so just trying to confirm that the VM that blue iris is running on is getting full cpu access....
I have 22MP (8 cams) on an i7-4770 at 17-22 percent..

cavester

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure where this would be allocated. By default it should utilise all resources unless restricted I think? I will install BI directly onto the metal and see if that reveals a difference.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 22MP (8 cams) on an i7-4770 at 17-22 percent..
I'm curious how your obtaining these figures.

I'm using a i7-4770 with 5 cam at 35 to 40% with Blue Iris minimized to that task bar, Opened it's consumiming over 50% CPU, I'm running Windows Server 2012.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious how your obtaining these figures.

I'm using a i7-4770 with 5 cam at 35 to 40% with Blue Iris minimized to that task bar, Opened it's consumiming over 50% CPU, I'm running Windows Server 2012.
I am using direct to disk on all the cameras...using BI3, 15-20fps per cam, 4096kbps

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same setting as you, but using blue iris 4
I like to get my cpu usage down like yours.

I just checked mine now, with direct to disc, 10fps per cam, 4096kbps. Blue iris minimized to task bar on windows server 2012, im at 40% CPU usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same setting as you, but using blue iris 4
I like to get my cpu usage down like yours.

I just checked mine now, with direct to disc, 10fps per cam, 4096kbps. Blue iris minimized to task bar on windows server 2012, im at 40% CPU usage.
What cameras are you using? What resolution are they set to?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cameras consist of 3 x Hikvision 2332. 1 x hikvision 2432 and 1 Foscam FI9805W

Blue Iris is now on screen taking up half my Desktop space and it's at 57% CPU usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My cameras consist of 3 x Hikvision 2332. 1 x hikvision 2432 and 1 Foscam FI9805W

Blue Iris is now on screen taking up half my Desktop space and it's at 57% CPU usage.
Are you certain you enabled direct to disk?
I am also using BI3 but that is a significant difference that cannot be attributed to the version change. Also the numbers im giving you is with the blue iris console open and displaying all the cams..

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something is wrong...not sure what though..because you have 9MP recording...i get 35% recording 12mp D2D on a i5-3570s
Just out of curiosity yesterday I downloaded the trail version of Milestone and it was using more CPU power than Blue Iris, but when I minimized Milestone to task bar it was less than half of what Blue Iris was using.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you certain you enabled direct to disk?
I am also using BI3 but that is a significant difference that cannot be attributed to the version change. Also the numbers im giving you is with the blue iris console open and displaying all the cams..
Yes, Direct to disk is enabled, 57% for me with the console open displaying all cams.

I have two harddrives on my system, one is a SSD the other is a SATA 1GB Harddrive. I have Opperating system installed on SSD including all my software inc Blue Iris installed on SSD. All recordings from Blue Iris are saved on my SATA Drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Direct to disk is enabled, 57% for me with the console open displaying all cams.

I have two harddrives on my system, one is a SSD the other is a SATA 1GB Harddrive. I have Opperating system installed on SSD including all my software inc Blue Iris installed on SSD. All recordings from Blue Iris are saved on my SATA Drive.
Are you logging into your system remotely when you get these numbers or are you sitting in front of it. Also are you streaming to device using the webserver at the time you get those numbers?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you logging into your system remotely when you get these numbers or are you sitting in front of it. Also are you streaming to device using the webserver at the time you get those numbers?
No streaming via webserver, right now I'm sitting in front of computer. Also Blue Iris is only taking up half the screen, If I open up to full screen the CPU about 65%

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the Web Interface, under video/audio for your cameras what video quality do you have set? Mine is set to higher.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went into the web interface for each of my Hikvision cameras and changed the Video Quality from Higher to Medium and it's not made much of a difference.