High CPU Consumption

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I deleted all my footage 65GB of footage. Shut down Blue Iris, than deleted the db folder. Restarted Blue Iris, so it would rebuild the database.

This has dropped the CPU Usage down from about 40% to 25% with Blue Iris minimized to the task bar.

With Blue Iris open on desktop taking up half my screen CPU is 41%

With Blue Iris open full screen CPU is at 47%

A huge improvement, but still nothing like your figures. Looks like my database where corrupted.

I still feel something is not right here, as the CPU usage is still way higher than others with similar CPU as mine. I know of systems with i5 processors using less CPU than mine.

Could it be Direct to disc not working as it should on my system. Could it be because I have two harddrives? One is a SSD with the software installed on it, the other is a SATA drive, which I am using to save all the footage captured with Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I deleted all my footage 65GB of footage. Shut down Blue Iris, than deleted the db folder. Restarted Blue Iris, so it would rebuild the database.

This has dropped the CPU Usage down from about 40% to 25% with Blue Iris minimized to the task bar.

With Blue Iris open on desktop taking up half my screen CPU is 41%

With Blue Iris open full screen CPU is at 47%

A huge improvement, but still nothing like your figures. Looks like my database where corrupted.

I still feel something is not right here, as the CPU usage is still way higher than others with similar CPU as mine. I know of systems with i5 processors using less CPU than mine.

Could it be Direct to disc not working as it should on my system. Could it be because I have two harddrives? One is a SSD with the software installed on it, the other is a SATA drive, which I am using to save all the footage captured with Blue Iris.
The two drives is not the culprit. Did you have a thousands of small jpegs files or video files that you deleted?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I deleted out of the NEW folder where all my motion footage was saved to, there would have been about 150 to 200 individual movie files, This is a guestamate, as the files are all gone now, but there was certainly no where near 1000 files. Looks like to me some of the footage was joined together in the NEW folder on my SATA drive. Lots of individual Motion footage joined into one file.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the cameras properties under "Record" in the options section, there's an option called "Combine or cut each:" It has a tick on it, the settings are Combine or cut each: 8 hr(s) 0 minutes 4.0GB.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What I deleted out of the NEW folder where all my motion footage was saved to, there would have been about 150 to 200 individual movie files, This is a guestamate, as the files are all gone now, but there was certainly no where near 1000 files. Looks like to me some of the footage was joined together in the NEW folder on my SATA drive. Lots of individual Motion footage joined into one file.
That is not significant...some folks have hundreds of thousands of files which is a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@phillip da Are you using the demo version? There were some reports that the demo does not properly use D2D but I don’t know if that’s true.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I am using the full version, purchased from blue iris website, paid apx $70.00 australian dollars.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you recording in BVR format?
Also, you indicate that you are recording 10fps..is that what the camera is sending or you are limiting it with blue iris?
Yes, recording in BVR format.

fps is set in each cameras web interface, That's what the cameras are sending.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading, and learned a lot on this, so to get the best possible setup with minimal CPU usage. I just can't see why my system with it's specs is using so much CPU with Blue Iris.

Maybe Blue Iris is not compatible with Windows Server 2012?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No Antivirus installed. I'm very careful with my computer, and I did check over my computer last night and ran a online virus scanner, system is all clear.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No Antivirus installed. I'm very careful with my computer, and I did check over my computer last night and ran a online virus scanner, system is all clear.
What are your pretrigger frames set to?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All zero, except for one camera which is set to 30

I just rechecked. 3 set to 0. One is set to 15 and the other 30 pretrigger
hmmm...even though your cameras are sending 10fps, try limiting the live preview rate to 10fps as well...see if that helps..

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmmm...even though your cameras are sending 10fps, try limiting the live preview rate to 10fps as well...see if that helps..
Ok, your going to have to tell me where that option is, I don't know how to do that. I've never been able to find that option.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never mind. I just found that option. It's currently set at 15. I will try 10