High CPU Consumption

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not in front of a system now, i believe its blue iris options >cameras tab

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if it was at 15 then it should not matter much at all...im all out of ideas...

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hardly made any difference changing live view from 15 to 10 fps. With Blue Iris opened at full frame on desktop, dropping down the Live view to 10 fps, reduced CPU by about 6 fps.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you can see I've done a lot of reading on this matter and followed suggestions on here. I'm also happen to be a Computer tech for the past 15 years, so I do know my way around a computer.

I just can't figure this one out as well. I wish there was a way I could make a phone call to the creator of Blue Iris about this,

This system is well maintained and only just recently been updated. I don't have any other issues with any of my other software programs on this system.

I question the Windows Server 2012 compatibility with Blue Iris.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm probably going to have to ditch Blue Iris and all other PC based software and resort to a Hikvision NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to have to ditch Blue Iris and all other PC based software and resort to a Hikvision NVR.
Have you tried running it as a service?
I would do a clean install before ditching it...you could also just run ivms4200 instead of an NVR...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure that your video drivers are all up to date

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have some progress to report on............ It's early days yet, I'm yet to confirm this with external CPU monitoring Software, but the following appears to be the issue.

Blue Iris is giving false readings on the CPU Usage, I've found a bug in Blue Iris operating under Windows Server 2012.

I am monitoring the CPU Usage with a different Resource Monitor in Windows Server 2012.

I have both Blue Iris and Milestone open on the desktop. According to the Resource Monitor CPU Usage with both Milestone and Blue Iris open on desktop is 35% usage.

I clicked on Blue Iris, You know how it tells you in Blue Iris how much CPU Usage is consumed in the status bar at the bottom? It's telling me that 86% of CPU usage is used.

What's happening here is Blue Iris is telling me I'm using 86% of the 35% of the actual CPU that's being used in real life.
Blue Iris is giving false information in Windows Server 2012 in regards to CPU Usage. It's the same in Windows Server 2012 Performance Monitor, It's also indicating the percentage the software is using out of the actual CPU Usage.

So it's giving a false reading under Windows Server 2012

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have some progress to report on............

Blue Iris is giving false readings on the CPU Usage, I've found a bug in Blue Iris operating under Windows Server 2012.

I am monitoring the CPU Usage with a different Resource Monitor in Windows Server 2012.

I have both Blue Iris and Milestone open on the desktop. According to the Resource Monitor CPU Usage with both Milestone and Blue Iris open on desktop is 35% usage.

I clicked on Blue Iris, You know how it tells you in Blue Iris how much CPU Usage is consumed in the status bar at the bottom? It's telling me that 86% of CPU usage is used.

What's happening here is Blue Iris is telling me I'm using 86% of the 35% of the actual CPU that's being used in real life.
Blue Iris is giving false information in Windows Server 2012 in regards to CPU Usage. It's the same in Windows Server 2012 Performance Monitor, It's also indicating the percentage the software is using out of the actual CPU Usage.

So it's giving a false reading under Windows Server 2012
Cool..email support and let ken know so he can fix it..

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool..email support and let ken know so he can fix it..
It's early days yet, I want to 100% confirm this, with some aftermarket CPU monitoring tools to confirm this is the case, But I'm 99% certain this is what's happening in my situation.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know why I did not check the accuracy of Blue Iris before hand. But why would I, You would presume Blue Iris was giving out correct information on CPU Usage.

Who would have suspected this would have turned out to be the issue, I certainly did not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For me BI3/4 matches task manager...I think BI updates every 10 seconds or so...it may be the way its pulling info from server 2012..

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I check CPU Usage with the Performance Monitor in Windows Server 2012, It's giving the same readings of what it indicates in Blue Iris.

I am assuming that Blue Iris and getting it's CPU Usage statistics from the Performance Monitor in Windows Server 2012, which appears to be inaccurate.

I think the performance monitor is tracking a different reading in Windows Server 2012, It's not displaying CPU Usage.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I said before, Looks like it's getting a reading showing how much of the CPU it's utilizing out of the actual Total CPU Usage in use.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was one issue I was not going to give up on till I found out what's going on here.

Now I can move onto my next issue, I downloaded Milestone to see what it's like, and I don't know how to get the motion tracking to work in Milestone using the cameras own Motion tracking.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I seem to experience something similar as phillip da. BI shows 60-70% cpu yet the resource monitor shows 11%. My system is Windows 8.1 i7-47?? and 6 hikevision 3MP cams. Currently traveling so can't get the specifics. Am I missing something?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to experience something similar as phillip da. BI shows 60-70% cpu yet the resource monitor shows 11%. My system is Windows 8.1 i7-47?? and 6 hikevision 3MP cams. Currently traveling so can't get the specifics. Am I missing something?
I don't know what's going on with this, but I've ignored the CPU Usage that's indicated in Blue Iris. It's not correct, where it's getting this, is wrong.

I thought this might be a Windows Server 2012 issue, but your saying you have the same issue with Win8.1 ?