Hik 2032 vs 2632

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I've attached a photo here of what I expect an IP camera to do for me. Our lake is under ice right now but I hope to have a camera that will take snapshots and upload to my webpage decent res photos that will show the mountains and the lake, boats, floatplanes, etc. reasonably clearly. The camera will be mounted under the eave of my house which sits about 16 feet above the ground and the house another 7 feet above the lake. I'm not sure if I have the bandwidth for a video feed (I'm in a remote area) but I do for high res snapshots to be uploaded every 10 minutes or so.
Nimpo-Lake-landing.jpg

Attachments

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the photos haven't uploaded properly. They're kind of a mess.

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying this again. Plane-landed.jpg
So this would be an example of the resolution I would like to have in an IP camera during the day in a winter time shot.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to love Stardot, made near me, but I'm not impressed and didn't see them this year at ISC West. This is a Stardot webcam near me so you can see the quality day/night - http://mountaininfo.com/arrowheadcamera.html

Wow, that is worthy of a photo contest. Unbelievable! That really is a beautiful shot. Thanks for posting. I'm still doing the research on this particular camera. Like I said, one post mentioning how hard it is to focus is the only thing that has me concerned now. That and I still haven't seen a daytime still at high resolution that shows a landscape view at distance other than what Network Camera Critic had on his site for the Hik 2032 and I'm hoping this will be as good. The only other choice I'm looking at now is a Stardot but it's $908 at its cheapest and if I can something good for less, then I would like to.

Thanks again for posting, Dalepa.

J

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to love Stardot, made near me, but I'm not impressed and didn't see them this year at ISC West. This is a Stardot webcam near me so you can see the quality day/night - http://mountaininfo.com/arrowheadcamera.html
So you think the Hikvision 2632 will give me at least that good or better picture than the Stardot? Because that would definitely make up my mind. The Stardot Netcam XL on your link is exactly the one I was looking at but on sale at half price it is still $908 as mentioned above. If you think the Hik will do as well (I'm looking for 12mm Varifocal as per your suggestion on the 2032), then I sure would appreciate you letting me know and I'll put my order in.
Thank you very much for your reply, by the way. I've been wracking my brains over researching this for weeks knowing absolutely nothing about the kind of camera I might need to knowing just enough now to be dangerous.

J

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you will be more than happy with the IQ of the Hik 2632.

Here's another timelapse showing the dynamic range. (Switch to 1080p)

Thanks Dalepa. I can't tell the distance to the top of the farthest trees in your video without something to compare them but to me they look blurry while the leaves on the closest trees look really clear. On the other hand, your clouds look really clear and they have to be some fair distance away.
The distance I'm trying to cover is about 1.5 miles to the far lakeshore and then where we start up into the mountains snowmobiling is about 15 miles away. So I need a camera that can show fairly clearly 20 miles or more away. About the same as what my Canon camera can do.

I appreciate your examples. They are helpful in case I decide I have the bandwidth to support video and not just still shots.

Thank you,

J

dalepa

Reaction score
The hik 2632 is a manual focus, but it's not east to set to focus. you have to turn the lens manually and it's not easy to fine focus it... But you CAN focus it, most cams dont allow you to focus at this price... For $170, you get a great deal. I say just get it and try it, the cables, PC, network etc will cost way more than the camera.

Soon the 4K cams will be cheap and make this one look like cr@p, but you'll be ready with the setup...

After watching this cloud clip fullscreen, I'm ready to move to 4k! amazing.

[video=vimeo;73184056]https://vimeo.com/73184056[/video]

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What does everyone use for their settings when they encode a section of video for youtube? I am still trying to figure out what is the best, I'm running 3.50 and the advanced preset setting is confusing and the help file isn't much help, I tried both extremes super fast and super slow and it seems like the only thing it does it make the frame rate lower when you pick the slower one. Ideally I want to export clips at the same quality they were recorded in and not lose any quality and have the same frame rate.

dalepa

Reaction score
Your canon is 16-20MP? Don't expect the same quality as a DSLR or even a newer 2k or 4k camera phone... The Hik is 3MP and I'm only using 1920x1280 or about 2.5MP... It still looks great, not 4k great, but pretty dang good.

Since the HIK 2632 is VF, you will be able to change the focal distance from 2.8 to 12mm manually... this will make it easy to get the shot you want...

I think I could get my clouds into better focus, but the focus is so sensitive, it's hard to get it right for long distances. It was really easy to get it to focus in the 2ft range, but 2 miles is a different challenge.

I think you will be more than happy with the IQ of the Hik 2632.

The distance I'm trying to cover is about 1.5 miles to the far lakeshore and then where we start up into the mountains snowmobiling is about 15 miles away. So I need a camera that can show fairly clearly 20 miles or more away. About the same as what my Canon camera can do.

J

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Your canon is 16-20MP? Don't expect the same quality as a DSLR or even a newer 2k or 4k camera phone... The Hik is 3MP and I'm only using 1920x1280 or about 2.5MP... It still looks great, not 4k great, but pretty dang good.

Since the HIK 2632 is VF, you will be able to change the focal distance from 2.8 to 12mm manually... this will make it easy to get the shot you want...

I think I could get my clouds into better focus, but the focus is so sensitive, it's hard to get it right for long distances. It was really easy to get it to focus in the 2ft range, but 2 miles is a different challenge.

My 2632F is doing duty in the living room right now because it was the only cam I had running, the 2032 will be getting installed on a junction box on the porch tomorrow. Came up with a sweet trick for getting the network cable through the attic without having to crawl through fiberglass. I love and hate the varifocal, being able to zoom in and out is awesome, having to try and focus it manually every time is a bastard. I've been going back and forth in my head about whether to run at 1080p or the maxed out resolution at 20fps. On one hand 1080p is wider FOV and 30fps, on the other the maxed out resolution looks better. I am also occasionally getting some ghosting when something moves around fast in front of the 2632F set at 3mp, 20fps and 10 key frame interval, do I need to go lower on the key frame interval or is it an exposure thing?

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
The hik 2632 is a manual focus, but it's not east to set to focus. you have to turn the lens manually and it's not easy to fine focus it... But you CAN focus it, most cams dont allow you to focus at this price... For $170, you get a great deal. I say just get it and try it, the cables, PC, network etc will cost way more than the camera.

Soon the 4K cams will be cheap and make this one look like cr@p, but you'll be ready with the setup...

After watching this cloud clip fullscreen, I'm ready to move to 4k! amazing.

[video=vimeo;73184056]https://vimeo.com/73184056[/video]
Freak, that's spectacular!!! This is going to sound totally ignorant, but what do you mean by 4k? Is that the resolution? And what kind of camera took the Nimbus video?

Thanks for all the awesome info.

J

dalepa

Reaction score
what would we do without wikipedia... :) 4K resolution is resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_(resolution)

For example, older IP cams are 640 x 480 which is 307200 or .3 Megapixels. Hik's are up to 2048 × 1536 = 3145728 or 3.1Megapixels, and 4K over 4Megapixels.

Your Canon can take 12-16Megapixel stills, however can only record in 1280x1024 or about 1.3MP

Not sure what the Nimbus video is using... RED comes to mind, but everyone is doing 4K video now, including my next Samsung s5 phone.

Hikvision records in 3MP via IP for $180. Awesome if you ask me...

What I find cool, is that I can do time lapse directly from BlueIris with good results. No post processing and very little storage and IP used.

Freak, that's spectacular!!! This is going to sound totally ignorant, but what do you mean by 4k? Is that the resolution? And what kind of camera took the Nimbus video?

Thanks for all the awesome info.

J

dalepa

Reaction score
I've just been using AVI, but I also would like to know the best way to export to youtube... It would be cool if an "Export to Youtube" feature was added to BI...

What does everyone use for their settings when they encode a section of video for youtube? I am still trying to figure out what is the best, I'm running 3.50 and the advanced preset setting is confusing and the help file isn't much help, I tried both extremes super fast and super slow and it seems like the only thing it does it make the frame rate lower when you pick the slower one. Ideally I want to export clips at the same quality they were recorded in and not lose any quality and have the same frame rate.

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
For example, older IP cams are 640 x 480 which is 307200 or .3 Megapixels. Hik's are up to 2048 × 1536 = 3145728 or 3.1Megapixels, and 4K over 4Megapixels.

Your Canon can take 12-16Megapixel stills, however can only record in 1280x1024 or about 1.3MP

Not sure what the Nimbus video is using... RED comes to mind, but everyone is doing 4K video now, including my next Samsung s5 phone.

Hikvision records in 3MP via IP for $180. Awesome if you ask me...

What I find cool, is that I can do time lapse directly from BlueIris with good results. No post processing and very little storage and IP used.[/QUOTE]

Boy, I can see I have a lot to learn! I expect you will see me a whole lot here in future once I get this camera and try to set it up. Thank you for all your help. It has been most appreciated.

J

mqranch

n3wb
Reaction score
Just one more question, Dalepa. You are saying you can get the Hik 2632 3mp for $180. The cheapest I've found it is on Amazon (authentic Hik) is about $350. Why the difference?

Thanks,
J

dalepa

Reaction score
I got mine on Ali HERE... Looks like they are $224 now from this seller. I see another seller selling for $190 HERE I just ordered another Hik 2032 for $108 HERE

This is my 4th order from Ali vendors... So far no problems other than having to wait 10-15 days..

Really, I just noticed that a vendor is using an image of my 2032 from my flickr Here I wonder if I get a discount now :)

Just one more question, Dalepa. You are saying you can get the Hik 2632 3mp for $180. The cheapest I've found it is on Amazon (authentic Hik) is about $350. Why the difference?

Thanks,
J

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This thread is an eye-opener! Miss a few days here, and you miss a lot. :) Thanks guys!

haemse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you very very much to all of you. This thread is awesome. I did a lot of research about suiting IP-Cams, also about the 2CD2632F-I(S), however with all that example material - GREAT ... i think i found it.
I also got requirements where i need to upload high res images periodically.

On alibaba there are a lot of sellers, i have a little bit of a bad feeling to get scammed or get a fake one, or China version whatsoever ...
Where did you buy yours? @dalepa: You said you got it for 180$. Where?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:

haemse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An other question for @dalepa: How are you doing your timelapse? Did you automate their generation? What kind of software do you use?
Do you use some special codec settings?
Maybe that is your secret, however I'd like to offer people a nice Alpine timelapse, therefore I ask ...

Jacob

Last edited by a moderator: