cat: read error: Input/output error

# cat /dev/mtdblock12 > temp12

# cat /dev/mtdblock13 > temp13

# cat /dev/mtdblock14 > temp14

cat: read error: Input/output error

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First camera seems to be working. Modified block 16 and reboot and its come up in English. Now to try the UK firmware on it.

EDIT:

Then again, perhaps not. Tried to setup motion detection and got the following error:

Error code HCNetSDK.dll[11].(Data transmission failed, incorrect data to or from the device.)

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So good news is it took UK FW 5.4.41 and smart events are still there.

Bad news is still get the above error when trying to configure motion events. However, it may be due to OSX IVMS4200 (probably wishful thinking) as I noticed it is missing the mibs to show smart events.

EDIT:

Was wishful thinking :(

Fired up a Windows VM, installed IVMS4200 on it and get the same error (in this case the smart event MIBS are there, so that isn't the issue).

On the windows version I was able to try to configure smart events and line crossing detection works (or atleast it allowed me to configure it), but standard motion detection and intrusion detection give the error.

Last edited:

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still playing around with it, although should really hit bed :/

Enabling and saving motion/intrusion detection appears to work from browser. But I can't draw the zones as the plugin no longer works on any of the browsers I try on Mac. On Firefox windows I got it to work but it isn't running properly under the VM :/

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wasted another morning with these damn cameras. It looks like I can configure them directly via the web interface. The problem is I can't get the web plugin to work with any of my machines/browsers.

Even tried an old Mac on 10.7.5. But just get a black screen on both safari and Firefox ESR 45 with the plugin installed.

Anyone help please. I've got 6 of these damn cameras :/

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In Firefox, have you done the following?

1. Install the plug-in.
2. Open a blank page of Firefox and input about:config (where you normally type the web address)

3 Press Enter. Click on the, “I Accept the Risk” Button.

4. You will then be in the plugin section of Firefox.
Right click, then go to NEW from the dropdown list. You will have 3 options to choice from, you will need to select Boolean. Once you have done that, you will need to type the plugin name:
plugin.load_flash_only

Click OK and choose “false” for the VALUE.

5. Exit firefox and reload the DVR/NVR web interface to 'accept' to run the plugin at the top of the page (all being well).

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Firefox, have you done the following?

1. Install the plug-in.
2. Open a blank page of Firefox and input about:config (where you normally type the web address)

3 Press Enter. Click on the, “I Accept the Risk” Button.

4. You will then be in the plugin section of Firefox.
Right click, then go to NEW from the dropdown list. You will have 3 options to choice from, you will need to select Boolean. Once you have done that, you will need to type the plugin name:
plugin.load_flash_only

Click OK and choose “false” for the VALUE.

5. Exit firefox and reload the DVR/NVR web interface to 'accept' to run the plugin at the top of the page (all being well).
Thanks for replying. I tried that and managed to get the plugin loading. Problem is the view is black. So plugin is working but no picture. Also tried the ESR 45 release on my old MAC 10.7.5 and again same problem.

Just now dug out an old Windows 7 laptop and managed to get the plugin working on that :) thank <insert deity of your choice> Configured Line crossing and intrusion detection, just tested in and it is working.

Now formatting the SMB mount for this camera to test recordings work. I think I will run into another issue here as I have WD MY Cloud single bay (as per my other thread) and didn't realise quotas are only available on the 2 bay version. I need to have 4 cameras storing to this. I'm praying FW 5.41 which i'm running resolves the issue with storage becoming uninitialised in this scenario, but if not I have a spare HP N54L micro server. I can strip the drive, put it into the N54L and run FREENAS on it (will need to buy some memory, got a shock when I looked at current DDR prices :O ). As a bonus I can also run openvpn server on the N54L, so don't need to expose the cameras to the web.

Presuming no other issues pop up, I still want to resolve the issue with configuring these cams with IVMS if possible. I can configure most things via IVMS but events give me the aforementioned error. Its not a big issue right now as I can configure the events with the windows 7 machine and won't need to touch them that often. But its a problem waiting to sting me, as the windows 7 machine is old and unreliable. I can imagine some time down the line when I've forgotten about all this, i'll need to change the event config and find the win 7 machine has died :(

Reaction score
Thats correct we still don't know how the Chinese are managing to load what ever firmware they want, we need to know more so now with, 5.3.0
As soon as I get a 5.3.0 with 5.2.5 loaded I will see if the MTD hack still works and if we can get it to english.
As no one has posted if they have managed this yet.
Hi whoslooking, did you ever find the answer to this?

I have a 2132 camera that came with CH 5.3.0 150327 hacked to english from aliexpress (manu 05/2015). I recently made the mistake of attempting a firmware upgrade, forgetting it wasn't that simple. I fixed by reinstalling CH 5.3.0 and using your downgrader to 5.2.5. It now works.

Speaking with alastairstevenson, he has upgraded some of his chinese cameras to latest firmware 5.4.5, but they had the MTD hack done "a while ago" (presumably before V5.3). I was wondering if you know if it's possible for me to upgrade my 5.30 camera, that's been downgraded, to 5.4.5 if I do the MTD hack AND whether I can even do the MTD hack given the new tripwire alastairstevenson discovered?

You can see our chat here .

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes you can upgrade but at the moment only to Chinese to 5.45 but you will have issues if the mtd hack is still in place.

If you were to have a an IPC which came with 5.10 5.16 5.20 or 5.23 you can upgrade with the mtd still in place all the way to 5.45 and it still remains English.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can add that my 2332 Chinese cam originally came with 5.1.6 and after the mtd hack, I'm running 5.4.5 in English successfully.

I have a bunch of originally 5.2.8 CH 2332 cams that are all mtd hacked and running 5.2.5 in English. Unfortunately I believe that upgrading the FW in these will result in the cam reverting to Chinese. I'm always hopeful someone will figure out the puzzle to upgrading these while maintaining an English interface (and avoiding the trip wire that @alastairstevenson identified).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm always hopeful someone will figure out the puzzle to upgrading these while maintaining an English interface
In other words, create some 'hacked to EN/ML firmware'.
But the puzzle to be figured out, to my mind, is why the newest firmware doesn't work with all cameras that it's supposed to.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could not work out either why 5.25 and 5.28 would fail any update even a straight non mtd hacked update to 5.30

It looked like HIK rushed a firmware release just to stop the region change then abandoned what they had done.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
would it be possible to hack nvr 7116 SN/P to full englisch. The series runs until 3.13 language flag changed. 3.17 fails to boot with language flag change.

attaran

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this, whoslooking. I was able to get my DS-2CD2032-I camera with v5.2.5 build 141201 firmware which was displaying all of its menus in Chinese back to English menus. This camera's label indicates it was originally shipped with an older V5.2.3_141024 firmware, so already it's running a newer firmware.

Now I'll need to search and find the latest version of firmware I could run on this camera and still keep the English menus.

Thanks again for your writeup and procedure to do this Chinese->English hack.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it was originally 5.23 you can install the newest WR regional firmware without issue.

Gigaquad

n3wb
Reaction score
I was terrified to do this and possibly brick my just-recovered camera, but it worked! My temp6 file wasn't the same as yours, but I simply changed the same places and increased my 52 to a 53 on the second byte and was good to go. Thanks!

form

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazing, thanks whoslooking!! Worked on 5.2.3 flawlessly ... The checksum agreed in my files unlike the guy on page 5 who had the same exact build as my camera.