hikvision 7616NI nvr reboot every 20 minutes

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have this nvr for about half year. recently reboot by itself every 20 maybe 10 min. I didn't use the PoE from the back to power the cameras. and I also updated the firmware to 3.10. don't know what wrong....it doesn't happen everyday. maybe every 2 weeks. thx for help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Has it only done this since you updated the firmware to 3.0.10?
Unfortunately the Linux kernel log isn't stored between reboots, so you can't look back to see what caused this.
However, you might get a clue when it next gets into that state if you have a telnet session checking the log set up before a reboot:

Enable telnet if not already done - Network settings | Advanced | Tick the enable telnet box, click save.
With a telnet client that has a large scrollback such as PuTTY, or even the Windows telnet, connect to the NVR, log in with 'root' and your admin password.
You will see a command line.
To connect to the kernel log, use:
cat /proc/kmsg
Lots of unread info will scroll up the screen. Just leave the session running, no more typing. There will not be a command prompt now, unless you type Control-C to exit.
Next time the system reboots, the telnet session will disconnect.
Copy / paste the entire screen contents to notepad or similar and save it somewhere.
If you are very lucky, there may be some log entries just before the reboot that might provide a clue.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, not sure if it the same as yours but may be worth looking into.

My 7816 started re-booting every 10-30 min, I notice it was doing it after a recording, not all recordings just at random times.
I then notice that my hard drive was full, overwrite is enabled and it was working properly still recording but would reboot after some recordings.
I reformatted the drive (lost all recordings) and the problem went away, I am keeping an eye on my drive space to see if it happens again.

Again this may not be your problem but may be worth looking into.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
last time was full and said hd failed. and I reformat it..everything ok. now the HD not full...time to take out the hd and try again.
and when I try login as root and try the command "operation is not permitted:

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, not sure if it the same as yours but may be worth looking into.

My 7816 started re-booting every 10-30 min, I notice it was doing it after a recording, not all recordings just at random times.
I then notice that my hard drive was full, overwrite is enabled and it was working properly still recording but would reboot after some recordings.
I reformatted the drive (lost all recordings) and the problem went away, I am keeping an eye on my drive space to see if it happens again.

Again this may not be your problem but may be worth looking into.
I think it was the HD...and I took it out...fixed the problem.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has it only done this since you updated the firmware to 3.0.10?
Unfortunately the Linux kernel log isn't stored between reboots, so you can't look back to see what caused this.
However, you might get a clue when it next gets into that state if you have a telnet session checking the log set up before a reboot:

Enable telnet if not already done - Network settings | Advanced | Tick the enable telnet box, click save.
With a telnet client that has a large scrollback such as PuTTY, or even the Windows telnet, connect to the NVR, log in with 'root' and your admin password.
You will see a command line.
To connect to the kernel log, use:
cat /proc/kmsg
Lots of unread info will scroll up the screen. Just leave the session running, no more typing. There will not be a command prompt now, unless you type Control-C to exit.
Next time the system reboots, the telnet session will disconnect.
Copy / paste the entire screen contents to notepad or similar and save it somewhere.
If you are very lucky, there may be some log entries just before the reboot that might provide a clue.
operation not permitted.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Was this at a # (root) prompt or a $ (user) prompt?
If a $, type 'su' return, and supply your admin password.
The prompt should change to a superuser (root) # prompt.
and try the 'cat /proc/kmsg' command again.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was this at a # (root) prompt or a $ (user) prompt?
If a $, type 'su' return, and supply your admin password.
The prompt should change to a superuser (root) # prompt.
and try the 'cat /proc/kmsg' command again.
root and 12345.
I check system log and found record buffer overflow!!! will that cause reboot? I have a 9600 6 channes nvr that reboot too.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This was the web GUI log?
If 'record buffer' is associated with writing to the disc, that sounds quite serious.
But I thought you said:
I think it was the HD...and I took it out...fixed the problem.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What brand of HD are you using? As a failing hard drive will cause all sorts of issues ranging from system shutdown failed boot, overflow and stack issues.
A cheap drive ends up costing more in the end.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What brand of HD are you using? As a failing hard drive will cause all sorts of issues ranging from system shutdown failed boot, overflow and stack issues.
A cheap drive ends up costing more in the end.
WD purple 4TB. how work fine after I reboot...what is the cause for overflow?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not being able to write to the hard drive fast enough as required for the amount of data being created. A WD purple should not suffer this like say a cheap seagate drive.

Last edited by a moderator: