HikVision cameras (non grey) to update firmware or not??

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've spent the last couple of nights reading a lot on the form re grey market imports and firmware issues.

My setup is mostly 2132's, 1 x 2732 and my new 4565F-IZ.

The 4565F-IZ is running 5.3.0 build 150612.

The rest are all on 5.2.0 build 150122.

The device type / serial number's in SADP are all DS-2CDXXXXXX.

All were purchased via a distributor here in Australia.

My question is, how can I confirm 100% the firmware won't brick them and second, do I download the firmware from Europe or USA ?

Thanks in advance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you having any issues that you believe will be fixed by updating?

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
are you having any issues that you believe will be fixed by updating?
No, all seems to be working OK. I found some other threads which spelt out nothing but trouble with updates (grey imports) but likewise issues with overseas WR units, so I think I'll bed the issue of updating firmware.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats a wise decision young grasshopper, if you never expose your cameras to the internet with a stupid port forwarding scheme there is no justification for you to update..
so if you want to access you cameras remotely I'd suggest you do the correct thing and setup a VPN Server so you can remotely access your network without putting any of your cameras directly on the internet.

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
thats a wise decision young grasshopper, if you never expose your cameras to the internet with a stupid port forwarding scheme there is no justification for you to update..
so if you want to access you cameras remotely I'd suggest you do the correct thing and setup a VPN Server so you can remotely access your network without putting any of your cameras directly on the internet.
Off to find out how to setup / configure VPN server for remote access of cameras!

Thanks.

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you exposing your cameras to the interwebs by using a NVR?

Looking at getting a PoE Hikvision NVR and then accessing the camera streams through that?

thanks

rustbelt

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you exposing your cameras to the interwebs by using a NVR?

Looking at getting a PoE Hikvision NVR and then accessing the camera streams through that?

thanks
That is what I have been setting up.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your exposing your NVR to the internet and thats just as bad, probably worse because now they dont have to scan for all your cameras once they crack your NVR's poor security.

If your accessing your cameras remotely with anything other than a VPN your a sucker waiting to be hacked, dont care if your running the latest firmware or not.. the internet is not a safe environment to expose these devices to, even slightly.

@Martyj is doing it right, you can run a VPN Server on your PC based NVR and expose only the VPN Server to the internet, leaving the NVR software and camera feeds unexposed.. VPN connections are are much more resistant to attacks and widely accepted as the most secure way to connect to a private network remotely.

If your putting your cameras/nvr directly on the internet you might as well just disable all passwords, setup a website and start charging voyeurs hourly fees to pay back the cameras... because if you dont someone else will with enough time and determination.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
I setup OpenVpn on my pfsense router. Took all of 5 min and client for android just as easy

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
piece of cake, hey now it says your getting the hang of it.. no longer a young grasshoper, how appropriate.

most people hear VPN and gloss over with the dread of more nights fighting technology, only to kick them selves in the ass later when they realized it took just a few moments longer than just forwarding ports.

Trust me, Corporate America makes all sorts of stupid monkeys use VPN to get there email.. if some Sales asshat with a Golden iWatch can use VPN so can you.

rustbelt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Asus RT-AC3200 and it has options for the VPN, and open vpn, After I get the VPN set UP will I still be able to view the NVR and cams with the iVMS-4500 app on smart phones ?
I have been using a VPN Private Internet Access for years but have never setup a VPN on the Router, I Just got the hang of forwarding the ports on router but that doesn't sound very safe now. Any links to setting up VPN with Hikvision NVR

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, just setup a VPN on your phone and when you enable it your phone will be on your Local Network.. It'll be like your on your at home wifi, but from anywhere.. you wont even have to reconfigure the application as the ip addresses and locations will all still be the same.

there is nothing to configure for your NVR if you can already access it on your LAN, as an added bonus everything else on your LAN will be avilable when your VPN'd.. printers, media streamers, fileservers, etc.

rustbelt

n3wb
Reaction score
Got Open VPN all set up now and have smart phone connected but when I open the iVMS-4500 fails to connect to NVR, I also have disabled port forwarding in the router, I did have the app set to connect IP/domain using port 8000 on the app, Not sure what I;m missing on the app.

rustbelt

n3wb
Reaction score
Figured it out,I had to go back into the iVMS-4500 app and it showed online DVR with the same IP address I would use on local LAN and old NVR witch was Ip Address from ISP so I deleted old and set up the New one,..Thanks again nayr !!!!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my pleasure, I've been on a mission for ages to promote the advantages of VPN over Port Forwarding... now go forth and spread the gospel.

Friends dont let friends forward ports to IPCams.