Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alastair, I think there’s a problem with the resolution of the picture temp.png you posted. The whole scene is blurry and so does not show the effect of DOF, presumably taken with the 6mm variant.

Oh just a minute - a .png so perhaps not.
That's clearly a Google Maps screenshot of Parley's location where the 6mm camera is installed ;)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Alastair, I think there’s a problem with the resolution of the picture temp.png you posted.
It's a bit pixellated as I zoomed it in to show the items of interest.
The image isn't from the camera, it's not my camera.
It's not intended to show the DoF, just the locations of interest so @Parley 's scene can be interpreted.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just order 4 of these in 4mm version, will be with me tomorrow. These will replace my last remaining Lorex Cameras. Was planning on ordering 1 and testing first but these are hard to get hold of, so I reviewed the comments on this forum and took a punt on getting them all in one go.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, here are the measurements from the above picture. 7-8' to the tree depending on the branch you are looking at. About 12' to the face of the wall a brick or so over. The future location of the camera will be 24 feet to the edge of the sidewalk in that picture I posted. That new spot should be ideal.

Just a guess, but I would say you need around 18' for a clear, focused picture using the 6mm version. Could one get away with 16'? That is a maybe. I would have to run more tests which I may do later on today. I know the distance to the wall so I need to stand on the other side of the wall and take some measurements and then review my camera footage.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me just add that I have added more cameras since the Google Map pictures were taken. Mainly my four license plate cameras.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort Parley! 18 feet does look unsharp and 24 feet is better but still not 100% sharp but giving Hikvision defines the DOF for the 6mm at 43 feet ! that's a good result if the sharpness at 50% of that is reasonable.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort Parley! 18 feet does look unsharp and 24 feet is better but still not 100% sharp but giving Hikvision defines the DOF for the 6mm at 43 feet ! that's a good result if the sharpness at 50% of that is reasonable.
The video from YouTube says 1080HD whatever that means. So I am not sure that equals 4K that the camera is capable of??????????

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got my 4 * 4mm versions today, managed to get one up in my dinner hr. Please see snapshots of Lorex 4K @ 2.8 Vs Hikvision 4k @ 4mm. First Hikvision camera and did not like the fact I had to switch onvif on from a setting that does not even say onvif but figured it eventually and now working with my Dahua NVR :)

Attachments

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
I also got my 4mm camera. This is my first camera. What is the optimal setting for this camera?
DS-2CD2087G2-LU_2021_02_17_22_25_05.jpeg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Settings are site specific, so what works at one location won't work at another.

Take it off auto settings at night unless you like seeing Casper. Auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual priority and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.

Now what you will notice that happens immediately is your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent), but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images.

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
Go into shutter settings and change to manual priority and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.
Sorry, but I don't know where to find the shutter and gain settings?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Got my 4 * 4mm versions today, managed to get one up in my dinner hr. Please see snapshots of Lorex 4K @ 2.8 Vs Hikvision 4k @ 4mm. First Hikvision camera and did not like the fact I had to switch onvif on from a setting that does not even say onvif but figured it eventually and now working with my Dahua NVR :)
I want to order the 4mm version myself. How far would you say it is from the camera to your wood fence?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks pretty damn good to me as it is. ;)
Without motion a static image always looks good. I can make a piece of crap camera look like daytime at midnight as a static image. But then major blur and ghosting with motion.

People need to post motion videos as that is the only true test on the quality and settings of the camera...