HikVision DS-2CD2032-I Firmware

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
So I tried to update my camera DS-2CD2032-I to the newest firmware (downloaded from hikvision site) After doing to update I could no longer find my camera using the web or Hikvision Tool SADP. Tried to reset the camera using the rest button with no luck.

What did I do wrong?

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
Which firmware, which site?

What region camera? Serial number.
What original firmware, and what firmware version on the camera label?

Possibly not reading the very many warnings about this on the forum ...
I got it from Hikvision.com USA its what i typed into google and what came up. Firmware update was - DS-2CD2x12,2x32 IP camera firmware v5.3.0_150513

china maybe? its All Chinese writing-
ZQJZNS
V5.2.8_141231

Warnings?? Should it just be as easy to update your firmware from a company you bought the camera from? Kind of like any other electronic device.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doug, this has all been discussed here at ipcamtalk.com previously; you should have used forum search to find those hundreds of posts and done some homework before dumping your problem on the shoulders of the good folks here, folks like Alastair.

...I got it from Hikvision.com USA its what i typed into google and what came up...
This isn't the information you were asked for, which you would understand if you had bothered to do research before posting your problem. Answer this question: does your camera's serial number have "CH" in its serial number string?

...Warnings?? Should it just be as easy to update your firmware from a company you bought the camera from? Kind of like any other electronic device.
It isn't...but this has also been discussed many many times before in hundreds of posts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Warnings?? Should it just be as easy to update your firmware from a company you bought the camera from? Kind of like any other electronic device.
To be honest, you can't disagree with that thought, and it's generally true, a big exception being Hikvision and their nasty region-blocking tactics.

It's looking like (and hopefully other recent buyers will confirm) that Hikvision have also changed the format of the serial number (maybe) to make it less easy to figure the original region.
Or is that a paranoid thought too far?
@Doug Gloff - where did you buy the camera from?
You are going to have to go down the tftp updater road-well-travelled I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No doubt Alastair...IMO the Hikvision firmware update routine should never allow the user to load the wrong firmware into the camera; to do so is simply (1) intentionally malicious or (2) grossly incompetent.

But that's just the way it is; caveat emptor.

On a brighter note, when I recently attempted to load the wrong firmware onto my Besafe BS-BH24S200-POE (Longse LBH24S200 Rebrand) the Herospeed firmware update routine returned a "No do bad FW thing!" (or some such Chinglish error message) and aborted the firmware update. So there is hope. In the meantime, Hikvision should be ashamed of themselves.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest, you can't disagree with that thought, and it's generally true, a big exception being Hikvision and their nasty region-blocking tactics.

It's looking like (and hopefully other recent buyers will confirm) that Hikvision have also changed the format of the serial number (maybe) to make it less easy to figure the original region.
Or is that a paranoid thought too far?
@Doug Gloff - where did you buy the camera from?
You are going to have to go down the tftp updater road-well-travelled I'm afraid.
I bought it from Amazon sold by Hikvision

I saw something about the tftp updater but am completely lost by it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
"No do bad FW thing!"
Love it!
When you extract strings from firmware files you do sometimes see some things that bring a smile.
Example (Hikvision NVR and camera firmware)
VFS: Busy inodes after unmount of %s. Self-destruct in 5 seconds
Have a nice day....../home/zucker/Project/s2l_linux_sdk_
Herospeed.
libfdt fdt_path_offset() error: ....Man, too deep!

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
So is there a way to get it back to working? Preferably with a step by step for a beginner?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
The tftp updater with instructions in the link in the first post here, and the 'downgrader' firmware (1-line version) has a fair chance of success.
But, unlike the Hikvision instructions, just have the PC and camera wired as normal to the router or switch, not directly connected.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

Okay so I am at a lost here what do i use to update the camera with since i cannot get it through the webpage or find it using the Hikvision tools?

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay I went there and downloaded the .rar file- But i see no place to get the tftp updater application?

Suburban28

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So my takeaway here is find a reputable dealer but for no reason should I try to update the firmware.