Hikvision DS-7108NI-E1 NVR Royally Disrupting the Network

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

In my hellish journey to make this NVR work (see: Hikvision DS-7108NI-E1 NVR turn off or disable wifi) I finally got the unit upgraded to current firmware, changed from router to AP, disabled any/all wireless, upgraded the HDD to 1TB WD RED SSD, and plugged into my network.

The NVR automatically added cameras (and continues to do so even if I delete them), but I'm experiencing issues on my wireless lan with other connected devices. The IPCams are all wifi enabled on a separate 2.4GHZ wlan (3 x DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS). The NVR automatically sets each camera to continuous capture when it auto adds them and seems to saturate the wifi access point (unconfirmed, but suspected). I remove continuous recording schedule from each camera that was added, however, I am still getting dropped connections on both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on other clients (phones, tablets, laptops, etc. on the 5ghz networks). 2 x concurrent video calls are next to impossible now in this situation.

Additionally, navigating to the individual camera management pages is also next to impossible (beyond SLOW) to diagnose what may be happening there. Further, my fourth camera never gets 'auto-added' in the NVR and is further inaccessible via its standard management page to troubleshoot. Once cameras are added automagically to the NVR they do not show up in SADP -- only the wired (CAT6) camera and the NVR show up. Loading up IVMS-4200 on phone/tablet devices and hooking into the NVR worked fine to view video -- all the clocks ticking live. Further, I disabled UPnP on the NVR and did my own port forwarding at the router level. Perhaps I should turn off UPnP at the router?

I am running the following:

ISP - Xfinity Gigabit
Cable Modem - Arris Surfboard 8200 (latest firmware);
Router - RT-N66W (firmware 3.0.0.4.382_52272)
WAP - Ubiquiti Unifi AP-HD (separate _IoT 2.4GHZ wlan for 2.4g only chipset devices; latest firmware -- all WLANs run on same LAN)
Switch - ASUS GP-108 (8 x PoE+ gigabit -- only the 2DE4A25IW-DE is plugged into PoE at an outbuilding that runs into interior PoE switch and uplinked via CAT6)
NVR - Hikvision DS-7108NI-E1 (firmware: V3.4.80 build 160817)
Cameras - 3 x DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS (each camera has its own 12v transformer; no PoE; wifi on 2.4GHZ; firmware: V5.5.82 build 190220) & 1 x DS-2DE4A25IW-DE (firmware: V5.6.14 build 190826)

I never had problems locally savings feeds/events to a router-attached NAS until I added the NVR to the network. Things don't clear up until I physically unplug the NVR and all goes back to 'normal'.

Help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are strongly highlighting the oft-stated advice that surveillance cameras over WiFi is a troublesome combination that's best avoided.

grashoper

n3wb
Reaction score
You are strongly highlighting the oft-stated advice that surveillance cameras over WiFi is a troublesome combination that's best avoided.

Agreed 100% Also, I have had big problems in the past with an hikvision camera causing major network congestion problems because of DHCP. The camera was hammering the router for new DHCP info. steady. Now, I do no have any of my cameras set for DHCP. I manually set all my network information on each camera, and completely disable DHCP on the cameras, as well as the DHCP server on the router. It made quite a big difference overall.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my tests with 2MP cameras at 15FPS, with VBR. A wifi network will support reliably only 3 cameras. The more interfering traffic on the same channel the less cameras can be reliably supported. As there is more traffic, there will be more network retries, until the network collapses under retry load.

DO not used DHCP, set camera IP address to static.

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
The interesting part is that nothing is on DHCP and ONLY when I plug the NVR in does everything cease to work effectively...I never record on continuous mode, so appears that something else may be happening here.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is pulling the data from the cameras over WiFi when you activate it.

Recording on events only still requires that the video stream operates continuously.
That's how you get the pre-event recording - the video needs to be continuously buffered.

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it -- so... NAS For now until I rewire the cameras to the PoE switch...

Is there a good bandwidth calculator out there that can sum up bandwidth requirements for an NVR x X cameras on a single LAN?