Hikvision DS-7608N-E2/P8 NVR unboxing & WD Hard drive installation

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just in the process of installing a new Hikvision NVR. (my first one)

Model: DS-7608N-E2/P8
Firmware Version: V3.0.8 build 140825
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 140816

Front panel of NVR

Back panel of NVR

Base of NVR

What I got in the box.

Inside the NVR as it arrived (no hard drives)

Hard drives waiting to be installed.

Hard drives installed.

Powered on. This is the start up / main configuration screen.

I'm running two Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS and one ONVIF 2MP camera at present, but will add more.

Plan on adding a EnGenius ENS202EXT http://www.engeniustech.com/business-networking/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges/16751-ens202ext wireless access point to allow remote access, as the NVR is located away from the house.

If anyone wants more software configuration screen shots let me know.

Any set-up tips are welcome.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks physically the same as my DS-7816N-E2/8P, same nominal firmware version. Missing the 'Virtual Host' for the POE-connected cameras, and a 'Shutdown' facility in remote management. But quite a good interface, in my view.
Mine came with an Australian style mains plug.
Do you have any indications what region it may be linked to? There is v3.0.10 firmware out there - but I haven't found one that mine likes yet.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you confirm this model comes with 8 POE inputs and not 4? If I recall some versions would say 8 or 16 POE and really only support 4/8 with the other ones being non powered ports.

Also, is it this one here?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-8CH-PoE-Up-to-6MP-Onvif-Project-level-Network-video/1984469384.html

Or this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-8CH-PoE-Up-to-5MP-Onvif-Family-level-Network-video/2052102779.html

Look the same, but one says "project level" and the other "family level"?

Last edited by a moderator:

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi pbc
yep it was 8 POE connections and 1 Lan / Wan connection that is not powered.

The NVR power rating is 120watts across the total of eight ports. With one port able to draw a maximum of 30w.

My camera (
DS-2CD2632F-IS) draws from the NVR about 5w on start up and then drops back to 3.3w (no IR lights running). I'm not sure what it draws at night with the IR lights on.

From reading the sales stuff the only difference I could see was the "Project" model (which mine is) has the ability to
support Hikvision Smart IPC functions. It only does this in a limited way and to get at all the functions you still really need to log into the camera directly.

I have only got Chinese and and English language options (not multi language as other models). I understand DS-7608N-E2/P8 model is only sold by Hikvision in china so I'm not sure what the software upgrade path will be.

If you want the international version with full multi language support I think it needs to be the "NI" model. I have only seen new firmware for the "NI" version not the "N" model as yet.

Its hard to tell you the differences without having used the "Family" model.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, Seems this is not doesn't have the virtual host function allowing one to access the camera directly via its own IP address if I understand it correct? Is that the case?

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ alstairstevens
I have only got Chinese and and English language options (not multi language as the "NI" models). I understand DS-7608N-E2/P8 model is only sold by Hikvision in China so I'm not sure what the software upgrade path will be.

Where did you see the v3.0.10 firmware for the "N" model? I would like to give it a try

How do you establish the region the NVR is linked to?

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ pbc

Yep it doesn't have the "Virtual Host" function built in to the NVR, but its not a big thing as it's easily worked around by plugging a Ethernet cable from both the NVR LAN port and one of the eight NVR POE ports back to your router. This gives you access to both sides of the NVR. Then use your internet browser to access either your camera or the NVR based on the allocated IP address. I have set up a separate tab in my browser for the NVR and each camera.

The down side of doing it this way is you lose the use of one of the eight NVR POE ports and the possibility of more traffic on your LAN.

I understand the "Virtual Host" function works in a similar manner to this but you don't lose the use of one POE ports. "Virtual Host" is just the NVR providing a hot link to the camera from within the NVR interface.

The NVR does still have limited access to the camera functions just not as in depth as accessing the camera directly.

The way I have mine installed seems to work well and is easy to access.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how you establish the region, sorry. I'd like to know myself.
Here is someone who has explored the firmware in some detail - but is keeping the knowledge close to his chest! http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1728-Adventures-Chinese-NVR-DS-7808N-E2-in-Russia

Here is some 3.0.10 firmware - but maybe not quite for your model: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/V3.0.10 build141126 Multi-lingual/
And some more here: http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/download_89.html

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great photos. I'm surprised at how small the board is in these NVR's. Not much to them.
im surprised how the thing can cope with all them cameras with such a small board when you need a fairly high end PC to run it all and a POE switch.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a HiSilicon SoC with dual-core ArmV7 processor and hardware video encoder running at 2GHz with embedded Linux - a much smaller and more efficient software environment than Windows.

wzhick

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi3535 H.264 CODEC Security and Surveillance Processor by Hisilicon

http://community.arm.com/docs/DOC-7990

[root@dvrdvs /] # cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1987.37

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1993.93

Features : swp half fastmult edsp tls