Hikvision DS-7608NI-SEP compatability with 4MP camera problem...

Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SEP firmware 2.3.11_150625. I purchased and new Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS camera firmware V5.3.3 build 150630.

I'm only able to get the NVR to recognize the camera, if it is set to a lower resolution of 1920x1080P, and will not access it if it is set to 2688x1520..

Is the older NVR not compatible with the newer cameras higher resolution, or am I doing something wrong?

If resolution is too high for the older NVR, then I would like to set my new camera resolution to that of the 3MP, however with the web configuration, the drop down resolutions only contains three resolutions for the main stream, 1280x720, 1920x1080P and the 2688x1520

Thanks,

Don Carrico

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@drcarric2650 The 4mp does not have a 3mp option...you may need to upgrade the firmware, but be cautious if the NVR is china region.

Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I did upgrade my firmware to 2.3.11 today without a problem... Someone from another site sent me a link to version 3.0.15_15028... unfortunately that bricked my nvr... or at least I think so. I upgraded it without a problem, but during the reboot, it beeped twice, a minute later showed the nvr splash screen, it went blank and never came back, I rebooted after 15 minutes, the same thing, now its been about 30 minutes, and nothing. I think I will look into blue iris, it seems to be future proof.

Don

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I did upgrade my firmware to 2.3.11 today without a problem... Someone from another site sent me a link to version 3.0.15_15028... unfortunately that bricked my nvr... or at least I think so. I upgraded it without a problem, but during the reboot, it beeped twice, a minute later showed the nvr splash screen, it went blank and never came back, I rebooted after 15 minutes, the same thing, now its been about 30 minutes, and nothing. I think I will look into blue iris, it seems to be future proof.

Don
There are several members here who have expertise with these NVR's and firmware updates, hopefully they can help you recover it (its rare for a device to be fully bricked).
As far as blue iris, its fantastic...just make sure your pc is powerful enough for your camera load. You will never go back to a standalone unit.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I will at least use Blue Iris until I get my NVR going again... by then I should know which path to go. I tend to be leaning toward Blue Iris, seems like it is future proof, I have an I7 now, so I don't think my 7 camera's will hurt it much.

Don

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First I would try to see if your SADP can detect the NVR , if not, then probably try to TFTP the working firmware back on to it? TFTP'ed an IP PTZ camera back to life today...worth a try..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure to set the cameras to record direct to disc (record tab>file format)...
CPU consumption will depend on the i7 model (first gen is weak) and camera resolution...

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree Tftp the original working firmware back on and it will spring back to life then try another firmware

Hikvisions newer firmware that introduced the secure password seems to be bricking older nvrs

If your comfortable with Tftp just keep trying different firmware

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their help, I tried tftp last night, this is the process I'm using and my poor results so far.

1> I downloaded the correct version of tftp, placed the files in c:\Auto Update folder.
2> I moved the digicap.dav file to c:\Auto Update folder. DS-76xxNI-SE(P)_USA_Firmware_V2.3.11_150625, the version that was working updated successfully the day before.
3> Disconnect everything, except my PC directly to the NVR (I'm using the network ethernet connection, not the POE)
4> Changed my PC's IP address to the 192.0.0.128
5> Turned off the firewall
6> Started the tftp: and got the following message: TFTP server [192.0.0.128] initialized.
7> Restarted the NVR, after many tries I got the message: Device[192.0.0.64]test tftpserver

I never got any further.

Any ideas?

Don

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Another way to try this, though it may object to the downgrade, is to put the firmware file on a USB stick and plug in to a USB port on the NVR, and use the upgrade options in the maintenance menus of the HDMI/VGA interface.

5> Turned off the firewall
Oddly enough, this may not be good enough if there are explicit 'block' rules in place.
I'd have thought that disabling Windows firewall would be good enough - but I've seen at least one post where apparently it wasn't.
Anyway - if it is still the firewall, re-enable it, shut down the tftp server executable, use Windows Firewall | Advanced settings | Inbound and find all rules for 'tftpserve.exe' and delete them.
Start the tftpserve and when the 'Windows has blocked ...' message comes up, ensure both private and public boxes are ticked and clock OK.
That should configure the firewall rules correctly.

"except my PC directly to the NVR"
Best to not wire the 2 together directly - best to just leave them on wired ports on your switch or router, no WiFi. And you don't have to pull the plug on anything else.
And if that does not work - it's looking like, and I don't think fully confirmed, that some of the new build NVRs no longer have the over-the-network tftp update capability, but need the serial console.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, I will give your suggestions a try. I tried leaving my connection on, but I'm connect via wifi to my apple timecapsule (router), and when I'm connect to it, the tftp uses that IP address. So should I connect with an ethernet cable to the apple router, and the router to the NVR?

I think I bricked it when trying to install the latest version of firmware (3.0.15_15028) for my DS-7608NI-SEP, I guess I could try the firmware for DS-7608NI-E2/8P, but it seems that wouldn't be compatible.

Don

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So should I connect with an ethernet cable to the apple router, and the router to the NVR?
Yes, wiring both to their own Ethernet ports on the router has been shown to work best. When wired directly together, the interface down/up/down/up timing can leave the PC interface trailing in a non-ideal state.

Reaction score
Alastair,

I've been reading a lot about on this forum about updating via the serial connection. I saw one pic that you showed connecting wires directly to the nvr, while others show they use a molex, however they were using it on a camera.

I guess I should start at the basics.
1> I have ordered a ttl to uart RS232 Com cable converter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGDTA4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
[h=1]- Firstly, I beleive that the usb portion of this cable should plug into my PC.
2> It looks like from the other pics that I've seen, that the Hikvision cameras have a small molex plugin that people use to connect from the camera to the PC via the ttl to uart RS232 com cable converter... If this is correct, does the NVR have a small molex plugin as well?

Thanks,

Don Carrico [/h]

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Don,
I saw one pic that you showed connecting wires directly to the nvr
Not sure which pic that was - but I haven't connected wires directly to an NVR, the NVR and the cameras have the same 4-pin plug. Apart from the bigger NVRs that have an actual RS-232 DB9 plug on the back panel, and apparently don't have the plug on the main board.
That USB to TTL serial convertor you linked will work fine. Aren't they cheap?

Reaction score
Thanks!, if it works the ttl serial converter will be worth $300 to me if it helps fix my NVR. All I need now is to determine the molex connector that I need.

Thanks again,

Don

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't forget you will need a jst zh 1.5mm pitch connector to connect it to the mainboard

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks!, if it works the ttl serial converter will be worth $300 to me if it helps fix my NVR. All I need now is to determine the molex connector that I need.

Thanks again,

Don
Was just replying with that very information when you posted

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do a search on eBay or Aliexpress or elsewhere for a 'micro jst connector' and look for the 4-pin 1.5mm version.
There are a few links to that item on the forum here - but I just can't find them properly with the advanced search.

*edit* Ooops - didn't see the post above.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you do a search on eBay or Aliexpress or elsewhere for a 'micro jst connector' and look for the 4-pin 1.5mm version.
There are a few links to that item on the forum here - but I just can't find them properly with the advanced search.

*edit* Ooops - didn't see the post above.
Haha
I beat you to it for a change!

They are jst ZH connectors 4 pin with 1.5mm pitch.

Plenty available.
If your in the UK I have a load spare pre done just need (connecting) soldering to the pins on the usb converter ends