Hikvision DVR Bootloop after switched off

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All

i have a Hikvision 7208HGHI-SH DVR, about 2 years old
8 channcel and a 4TB HDD, the other day i went into the loft to plug in a lamp, and i accidentally switched off the DVR from the mains, when i turned it back on, it goes to the Hikvision Logo then restarts again, iv never had a problem with this DVR, its always been in the loft, always on, and never failed!only about 2 years old, iv not updated the firmware, i rang my electrician who advised to unplug everything, so i have unplugged the HDD, the 8 cams, ethernet cable, usb mouse, its only running on power supply and HDMI, and it still keeps boot looping, any ideas how i can resolve this issue ? is it even possible to flash the firmware back onto the machine ? how do i do this whilst it is in the boot loop? any help would be appreciated as its a good machine. Thanks

Attachments

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok thanks, iv now done this and the DVR has started making beeping noises!!! 5 to be precise!, iv connected the HDD so the beeping has now stopped ,
but when i switch it on, there is no HDMI signal to the tv, do you think the DVR in its default state might be transmitting an analogue signal ?

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
right iv just connected via coax cable, and its sending the signal but again its restarting, also iv realised that i didnt let the firmware complete till success!
it said transmitting then transmit and i disconnected it! and now the TFTP tool just says initialise and doesn't connect to the DVR anymore, have i bricked it!!??

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
right iv just connected via coax cable, and its sending the signal
I don't really follow what you mean.

also iv realised that i didnt let the firmware complete till success!
it said transmitting then transmit and i disconnected it!
Disconnected as in 'powered it off' ?
If so, that's not good if it was in the process of applying the downloaded firmware. The firmware would be in an indeterminate, corrupted state.
The bootloader should still be OK.

A couple of things to try:
Does SADP show the DVR at all? Download | Tools - Hikvision

With the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128 use 'ping -t 192.0.0.64' at a command line, and see what responses occur after the DVR is powered on.

If all else fails - connecting up to the serial console might provide a way back.

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello thank you for your help and assistance so far, I just unplugged the ethernet cable when it said transmit!, iv used the Sadp tool and found my dvr in the software,I have entered the password and activated my device. What happens next please? Can I update firmware within the Sadp tool ? Thanks

Attachments

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also do I need a serial console to ethernet Rj45 cable ? Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The SADP status looks fine.
Especially if it needed activated.
Suggestion :
Use the new password you set when activating to either set the IP address back to what it used to be, or you don't remember, set it to DHCP.
Then access the web GUI using the browser.

It does look ok, just been reset to defaults.

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK thanks il try this , please note do I still connect to the Web gui without the hdd and cameras connected? Also without the Hdd the dvr is making 5 beeping noises! Once connected to the Web gui can I update the firmware? As the hdmi is giving no signal to the TV, its only working via video out , I get the dvr loading logo then the video signal goes! I really hope I can fix my machine, thanks for your help so far really appreciate it .

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
please note do I still connect to the Web gui without the hdd
There is no reason to not connect the HDD - unless it's faulty and kills the DVR, as seen by SADP
Maybe leave the cameras until you've assessed the DVR status.

Once connected to the Web gui can I update the firmware?
It would be better to connect to the web GUI and assess the state of the DVR before making any changes.
You'd need to have changed the IP address back to the usual one first - conveniently able to be done via SADP.

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
right im just connected again!

website Login

in the Sadp its only letting me set the password,

so in the Online Gui im not quite sure of the username?
im using admin, but its saying log in prohibited ?

how do i find out or set a username in Sadp? i can only set the password.

i wish i followed the TFPT instructions correctly ! it probably would have been working by now! i think when i was flashing it,
it started beeping so i disconnected the Ethernet cable!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
right im just connected again!
And I'm confused.

so in the Online Gui im not quite sure of the username?
When I mentioned the web GUI I meant using the IE11 browser on the PC that's connected to the house LAN.
Nothing to do with any internet-based services.
how do i find out or set a username in Sadp? i can only set the password.
The default username is admin
The password for admin is what you used to 'activate' the DVR.

Did you change the DVR IP address to be in the same range as that used on the LAN in the house?
Does SADP now show the changed IP address, no longer 192.0.0.64 ?

i think when i was flashing it,
it started beeping so i disconnected the Ethernet cable!
I doubt very much that pulling the ethernet cable after 'file transmitted' showed would have any bad effect other than not allowing the 'Upgrade completed successfully' message to be sent to the tftp updater tool.
The beeping would likely have been the DVR booting up OK and complaining about no HDD being connected.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd bet big bucks that 192.0.0.128 is not in the IP address range on your home LAN.
And why do your screenshots show the PC is not connected to a network?
Now I'm even more confused.

The DVR should be connected to your switch/router as normal.
The PC should be connected to your switch/router as normal.
The DVR should have an IP address set to be in the same range as your LAN, usually something like 192.168.1.x
What is the IP address of your LAN router?

*edit* And you need to stop Bing getting in on the act by prefixing the IP address with
http://
so it doesn't attempt a search.

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The ip address that I set in Sadp , is that the Ip address I type into the Internet explorer? Thanks

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK I'm with you!! My dvr is connected to my laptop via ethernet, I will now connect the Dvr to the router via ethernet,

I switched off my laptop WiFi whilst using Tftp and sadp, but il turn this WiFi back on

Thanks once again!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The ip address that I set in Sadp , is that the Ip address I type into the Internet explorer? Thanks
Yes, but ---- the IP address that you've set for the DVR using SADP needs to be in the same range as your LAN and PC are using.
It will not be 192.0.0.128

Anj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As you can see in my pictures I was connected to laptop to dvr via ethernet. I have now disconnected the dvr and connected it directly to the router via ethernet thanks

Attachments