Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware

javierfer

n3wb
Reaction score
good day!
I have a NVR Chinese model ds-7808n-k2 / 8p I just tried to change "the ‘Language flag’ by executing the following command using ‘2’ for Chinese device With this command "hiktools lang digicap.dav 2" What could be the problem? It is clear that the NVR has a security protection But how to remove this protection?
I hope your help thanks!

Attachments

attaran

n3wb
Reaction score
Since you've performed the mtd hack and your original firmware (fw version on the camera's sticker) is 5.2.5 or less (5.2.3 in your case) you can use any English FW rev you want and your camera will remain English. I've had no issues using 5.4.0 on 2xx2 IPCs.
I have updated the firmware on my cameras up to 5.4.5 without any obvious issues! Thanks so much for all the help!

Fotis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a DS-2CD2032-I camera with firmware 5.2.5 (Chinese)
hik1.png

In order to upgrade to newer firmware I downloaded the "Firmware: IPC - DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123" and I have to follow the first page instructions in order to change the language flag to Chinese? right?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the language flag on the firmware with this tool does not change the language of the firmware itself - just the header of the firmware, getting past the initial check on an attempted update.
If you did that - you would brick the camera, as the EN/ML firmware just loaded would object to running on a CN camera.
Also - hypothetically in this case, but valid if it was not a CN camera - going straight to 5.4.5 from 5.2.5 without applying the intermediate versions is specifically not advised by Hikvision and is likely to brick the camera.

You are discovering the obstacles that Hikvision have put in the way of people who bought their products from the low-cost on-line resellers and not the high-cost approved installers who bought from the high-cost authorised resellers who bought from the high-cost distributors adding markups along the way.

Is there a specific reason why you have a need to update the firmware?

Fotis

n3wb
Reaction score
alastairstevenson, first of all thanks for the reply.

No there is not specific reason for the update. I will stay on 5.2.5.

By curiosity is there any way to update the firmware to these chinese cameras?

Of course I didn't know about grey-cameras when I bought them...

waz

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson, I've got a DS-2CD4535FWD-IZH with Chinese firmware version 5.4.5. The TFTP does not accept any (original or modified) firmware. There is not way to get in. No SSH/Telnet or RS232. Any help be really great.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a DS-2CD4535FWD-IZH with Chinese firmware version 5.4.5.
That model of camera and firmware has more levels of protection than the R0 series.
I'd be surprised if you can find any CN firmware for it on a public download.
Do you have a link to the firmware that you tried?

waz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you can find any CN firmware for it on a public download.
You are right about that. Even the Chinese site doesn't have its firmware for download.

Do you have a link to the firmware that you tried?
I actually tried the International version (from here - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. - Baseline Firmware_IPC_ML_V5.4.5_170302 (40X5,4AX5,41X5,45X5,46X5) ) with modified header using the hiktool. No luck though.

NickCam77

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Folks!

I have HIKVISION DS-2CD3132F-IW bough on Ebay from China with the 5.2.5 fw.

I have run into problem with using the email function of the camera. Was using Gmail initially and then GMX but it seems they both have now updated the email server using STARTTLS encryption which is not supported by my current fw.

Is there a way to upgrade the camera to fix this issue?

I have been trying to the get the Ebay salesperson to send a fw update but its useless. Its like talking to a 5 year old on crack.

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Reaction score
Hello, hoping someone can assist me.

I have a Hikvision NVR 8116-P8 I bought on Alibaba a couple years ago.

It was working well until I bought a new camera that I wanted to add to it. The nvr didn't recognise it because the nvr password system only accepts numerals whereas the camera requires an alphanumeric password.

I believe I need to update the firmware to allow it to be added. It currently has firmware v2.3.7 build 131112.

I cannot locate the firmware suitable for the nvr. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, also if it won't brick the nvr or convert it to Chinese

I have tried some firmware versions available on the Hikvision Europe site, but each time my NVR says 'upgrading failed, firmware mismatches'

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The nvr didn't recognise it because the nvr password system only accepts numerals
Although I'm not familiar with that specific model - that does sound unusual.
Is this via the HDMI/VGA interface?
I have a recollection that on very old NVR firmware the keyboard defaulted to numeric and to switch to Alpha you needed to click on a button on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi, this was through the ip portal and the hdmi interface.

Ideally I would like to update the firmware I'm any event. How would I go about finding the right one?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ideally I would like to update the firmware I'm any event. How would I go about finding the right one?
I had a look around after your other post and did not find an exact match, but posted the link to the Hikvision CN site that seemed closest.
You indicated that you thought the NVR was an OEM model.
If the firmware is OEM also, it may reject the stock Hikvision firmware, at least via the web GUI update method.
You could probably force it a bit via the tftp updater, at the risk of ending up with a non-responding device.

Reaction score
Thank you

Are there instructions to force it that I can follow?

Are there ways to make it respond again should it become non responsive?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there instructions to force it that I can follow?
The Hikvision-specific tftp updater tool and usage instructions (but not the firmware) are in the first link at this post : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

Are there ways to make it respond again should it become non responsive?
In the absence of valid firmware, matching what's currently installed, there is some uncertainty about how to recover.
If your NVR firmware still has telnet available, you could probably take a backup of the existing firmware partitions.
As a minimum though, you'd need a Serial TTL to USB convertor, and a suitable connector, to connect up to the serial console on the main board.

I'd advise against going down this route, though, it probably wouldn't end well.

HobbeS

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Folks!

I have HIKVISION DS-2CD3132F-IW bough on Ebay from China with the 5.2.5 fw.

I have run into problem with using the email function of the camera. Was using Gmail initially and then GMX but it seems they both have now updated the email server using STARTTLS encryption which is not supported by my current fw.

Is there a way to upgrade the camera to fix this issue?

I have been trying to the get the Ebay salesperson to send a fw update but its useless. Its like talking to a 5 year old on crack.

Thanks for any advice on this matter.
I have the same issue, my cams are on 5.1.0 (DS-2CD2132-I) and (DS-2CD2032-I) 5.2.0. I've never know that there are grey-versions till the camera's stopped sending emails because Gmail changed with the startTLS encryption.

Which steps do I need to do? How much 'between'-firmware versions do I need to install? And from which version does the Hikvision firmware support the startTLS encryption?

Last edited:

HobbeS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue, my cams are on 5.1.0 (DS-2CD2132-I) and (DS-2CD2032-I) 5.2.0. I've never know that there are grey-versions till the camera's stopped sending emails because Gmail changed with the startTLS encryption.

Which steps do I need to do? How much 'between'-firmware versions do I need to install? And from which version does the Hikvision firmware support the startTLS encryption?
I've did a firmware update from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0 (where I changed the language flag from 1 to 2) and after the camera is rebooted and I try to load the webpage I get the message:

Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
firmware language mismatch: /home/webLib

Is my camera now bricked..?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is my camera now bricked..?
Yes, but not permanently.
It sounds like the (unspecified) firmware was EN or EN/ML and has been applied to a CN camera.
The fix will be to use the 'whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader', probably the CN version from the second link here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
This will get the web GUI back, in Chinese.
Then you can do the 'classic mtd hack' to get back to English menus : Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack
Or if you are feeling adventurous, you could do the 'enhanced mtd hack' to allow upgrading to 5.4.5 EN/ML : Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.
But, depending on what original firmware was on the camera (5.2.8 mostly needs this) check the bytes at 0x0C and 0x8000C in mtdblock1 and if they are 0 change them to 2.

paloema

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I am desperately searching for help here. Sorry that I am kind of noob, but I managed to brick both my hikvisions. I am trying to describe as detaile as possible what happened and hoping for hints here:

- Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
- tried to update firmware on both as I had unreliable smart events
- downloaded DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123.zip for 2342 and DS-2x22FWD,2x42FWD_5.4.5_170124.zip for 2332 as these were linked on hikvision homepage
- firmware upgrade on 2342 directly to 5.4.5 went fine
- firmware upgrad to 5.4.41 on 2332 stuck on reboot

- Tried to unbrick 2332 with TFTP which stuck on "Completed file...", but didn't get a "Device update completed".
- After that tried TFTP again but I guess I messed up firmware versions. Long story short: I don't get TFTP access anymore to any of both devices.

I really don't know which versions of the cams I have. Bought the 2332 from a China seller and 2342 from UK seller.

Now I am hoping for help. As both cams are on a spot where I cannot reach them easily I really hope for a "software" solution. Do I have a chance at all? Thanks already now!!!