Hikvision IP Camera stopped working and can't activate

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought Hikvision IP Camera DS-2CD2542FWD couple of days ago and already facing a problem.When I received the camera I plugged it into POE switch, went to the browser and used 192.168.1.64 to bring up the cameras feed.
Everything worked fine and I even tried Blue Iris and IVMS 4200 client just to do some comparison and testing before it goes up to the front of my house.I was all happy until Thursday morning.
I decided to install camera into planned location.Plugged it into CAT6 cable that is at the front door and its connected to the same POE switch.But thats how far I have gotten.
Camera couldn't be seen in any of already mentioned clients neither could browser load up 192.168.1.64.
I went back to very same setup I done first time but nothing worked there either.After bit of searching I installed SADP tool to try to activate the camera.And here Im facing another problems:
When plugged into POE switch than SADP wont see the came.
When plugged into the socket and connected to a router then SADP sees the camera but it occasionally disappears and come back again.
When plugged into the socket and connected to a router then SADP sees the camera but can not activate (see the picture attached).
(The second camera in SADP is connected to the same POE switch and its working fine - but its not Hikvision camera)
This is my second day trying to fix this with no success.I have hard rested camera couple of times aswell.Please if anyone can help me with this.
ip_cam_prob.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When plugged into the socket and connected to a router then SADP sees the camera but it occasionally disappears and come back again.
Off-the-wall suggestion - (firmware 5.5.0 is known to be a little cranky) - have the camera wired with a short, known good ethernet cable to the router, and power with the 12v DC adaptor (presuming that's what you mean by 'plugged in to the socket) and check it out while it's in a tin box to block the WiFi signal.
See what SADP makes of it, try to activate, point the browser (IE11) at it and do the same.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion alastairstevenson but it's still the same.Yes by "plugged in to the socket" I ment 12v DC adaptor :).I used tin foil instead of the tin box as I couldn't fine any.
IE11 same result.
I would have upgrade or changed the firmware but since I cannot connect to camera I'mn not sure it's possible.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh well.
I was wondering if there might have been some clash between the WiFi (always on, Hikvision) and the wired networking.
Where are you located?

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Great suggestion would have never thought of it.Im located in Ireland but bought the camera from China.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the mini dome
Had one do this to me once
Can you take the cover of when it’s plugged into the power brick only hold down the reset button then power up with the dome on 12v power and the camera plugged into your laptop or computer sadap should grab it and go modify it quickly

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the mini dome
Had one do this to me once
Can you take the cover of when it’s plugged into the power brick only hold down the reset button then power up with the dome on 12v power and the camera plugged into your laptop or computer sadap should grab it and go modify it quickly
Thank you for suggestion but this didn't work either.I tried it before (and again after your post) but my laptop can't see the camera when direcly connected to it.
Im not sure why?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....my laptop can't see the camera when direcly connected to it.
Im not sure why?
Have you tried giving the laptop a static IP of 192.168.1.XXX (0-255, but not 64) when cam (192.168.1.64) is plugged directly into it?

Default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should suffice.

Last edited:

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried giving the laptop a static IP of 192.168.1.XXX (0-255, but not 64) when cam (192.168.1.64) is plugged directly into it?

Default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should suffice.
marku2 said:
alastairstevenson said:
Thanks TonyR for this.I tried it and noticed that when plugged into the laptop it keeps disconnecting.I went to Network connections in Control panel and could see it changing between "Enabled" and "Network Cable Unplugged".
I tried 3 different ethernet cables just to eliminate faulty cable.I suppose the camera is faulty.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR for this.I tried it and noticed that when plugged into the laptop it keeps disconnecting.I went to Network connections in Control panel and could see it changing between "Enabled" and "Network Cable Unplugged".
I tried 3 different ethernet cables just to eliminate faulty cable.I suppose the camera is faulty.
Or maybe cam power supply cutting in / out. Check those connections, if check OK try to swap out power supply if possible. If powered by POE switch try another port.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
tried it and noticed that when plugged into the laptop it keeps disconnecting.I went to Network connections in Control panel and could see it changing between "Enabled" and "Network Cable Unplugged".
As an experiment - try a 'ping -t 192.168.1.64' from the laptop and see if that changes the disconnect behaviour at all.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it show any signs of life when power is plugged in, such as IR lights coming on? Has the CAT6 you plugged into been used before? Hopefully there isn't a problem with that cable that could possibly affect the camera.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Or maybe cam power supply cutting in / out. Check those connections, if check OK try to swap out power supply if possible. If powered by POE switch try another port.
As an experiment - try a 'ping -t 192.168.1.64' from the laptop and see if that changes the disconnect behaviour at all.
Does it show any signs of life when power is plugged in, such as IR lights coming on? Has the CAT6 you plugged into been used before? Hopefully there isn't a problem with that cable that could possibly affect the camera.
Thank you all for your help.
I figured it out.It looks like the ethernet socket coming out of the camera has loose connection.When I plug in the CAT6 cable then the connection comes and goes but when I push each side against each other and hold it there then the connection is fine.I was able to activate and view the camera.The problem is everytime I let go it disconnects.I was wondering if I could wire the camera direcly with cat6?ip_cam_prob.fixed.pngconnector.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help.
I figured it out.It looks like the ethernet socket coming out of the camera has loose connection.
Hey, do I get Brownie points for my "....Check those connections"...? ;)

Just kidding. But seriously, folks....it always amazed me how many times the problem turned out to be a simple, mechanical issue with some very complicated microcontroller based traffic signal controller, programmable logic controller and so forth and so on. The outdoor or industrial environment introduced many mechanical failures due to heat-cycling, vibration, dust, moisture, etc. I learned long ago (after getting worked up about what the issue could be during my half hour drive to the site) to look at some basics as soon as I got out of the truck before I assumed it was a highly technical issue.:cool:

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Ha ha!
Well done for figuring that out. Certainly a bit more basic than what now seems like an esoteric suggestion of mine.
And not just the 'cover it in tinfoil' one ...
As I said before I would have never thought of it.I'm buying extra roll of tinfoil for future troubleshooting.:). I suppose everyday is a school day.

Hey, do I get Brownie points for my "....Check those connections"...? ;)

Just kidding. But seriously, folks....it always amazed me how many times the problem turned out to be a simple, mechanical issue with some very complicated microcontroller based traffic signal controller, programmable logic controller and so forth and so on. The outdoor or industrial environment introduced many mechanical failures due to heat-cycling, vibration, dust, moisture, etc. I learned long ago (after getting worked up about what the issue could be during my half hour drive to the site) to look at some basics as soon as I got out of the truck before I assumed it was a highly technical issue.:cool:
Most Brownies goes to you :secret: but I must say that every single post got me step closer to the solution.I appreciate everyones effort!
I was definitely the connections.I connected wires without any of connectors and it works fine (btw Hikvision color pattern is differend than standard CAT cable)
.Now its time to install the camera outside.
Thanks again for help and I hope I will be able to help someone else in future.This forum is a great place to stay around.
cam.jpg