Hikvision NVR: Help choosing a model

IPCAMPR34

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need help picking out a Hikvision NVR. Here is what I currently have, all recording to Zoneminder Server using Motion Detection: -5x3MP Hikvision IP Camera running @2MP 15FPS power via PoE Switch -1x2MP Onvif IP Camera (D-Link Business line model) @15FPS power via DC adapter, connected via WiFi (dont ask , lol) I am looking at the following NVR's but cannot decide which is the best option, I still want to have motion detection (I know you get a lot of false alerts but it still saves space by not recording 24/7). I would also like to keep my FPS at 15 for each camera and recording motion detection only: 1) DS-7116NI-SN/P (Item#121599749028) 2) DS-7616NI-E2/8P (Item#121601619296) 3) DS-7716N-E4/16P (Item#111627013499) I need POE ports on the NVR (want to get rid of my switch, maybe keep it as backup). So again my musts are: -PoE Ports -Motion Detection recording 6 Cameras at 2MP 15FPS Please provide any advice you may have and your choice. Also please don't give me an infraction for the Item number, I did not mention the site just want people to know for sure which NVR I was talking about, I will delete the item numbers if required.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need help picking out a Hikvision NVR. Here is what I currently have, all recording to Zoneminder Server using Motion Detection: -5x3MP Hikvision IP Camera running @2MP 15FPS power via PoE Switch -1x2MP Onvif IP Camera (D-Link Business line model) @15FPS power via DC adapter, connected via WiFi (dont ask , lol) I am looking at the following NVR's but cannot decide which is the best option, I still want to have motion detection (I know you get a lot of false alerts but it still saves space by not recording 24/7). I would also like to keep my FPS at 15 for each camera and recording motion detection only: 1) DS-7116NI-SN/P (Item#121599749028) 2) DS-7616NI-E2/8P (Item#121601619296) 3) DS-7716N-E4/16P (Item#111627013499) I need POE ports on the NVR (want to get rid of my switch, maybe keep it as backup). So again my musts are: -PoE Ports -Motion Detection recording 6 Cameras at 2MP 15FPS Please provide any advice you may have and your choice. Also please don't give me an infraction for the Item number, I did not mention the site just want people to know for sure which NVR I was talking about, I will delete the item numbers if required.
I cant give you a recommendation on the NVR...but just wanted to make two points..
1) This forum is built on the notion of information sharing without the risk of being banned so you can post direct links to ebay if you wish...
2) NVR's direct from china will not have any warranty or support...so make sure you pay accordingly
3) NVR with poe ports will be louder because of more fan noise...

IPCAMPR34

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I cant give you a recommendation on the NVR...but just wanted to make two points..
1) This forum is built on the notion of information sharing without the risk of being banned so you can post direct links to ebay if you wish...
2) NVR's direct from china will not have any warranty or support...so make sure you pay accordingly
3) NVR with poe ports will be louder because of more fan noise...
Thanks, I am glad the forum is free from restrictions like this. I will definitely take these points into consideration once I find out which NVR can handle 6x2MP IP Camera's with possible upgrade to 8 on motion detection.

IPCAMPR34

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The DS-77XX is the one you want. The 76xx will not play back all your cameras simultaneously.
Thanks, I was leaning more towards that one to be on the safe side. I hope its good. Cheers.

xnaron

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you end up ordering the HIKVISION DS-7716N-E4/16P I am curious as to your impressions. Do you have hikivision IP cameras? I am considering this NVR as I have the hikvision cameras. I have the Dahua 4216 NVR now and I notice that the video display during realtime view isn't as smooth as I would like.

IPCAMPR34

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you end up ordering the HIKVISION DS-7716N-E4/16P I am curious as to your impressions. Do you have hikivision IP cameras? I am considering this NVR as I have the hikvision cameras. I have the Dahua 4216 NVR now and I notice that the video display during realtime view isn't as smooth as I would like.
Im ordering it this weekend, I will report back and let you know once received. Really researching this to make sure I’m making the right decision.

rooooboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Im ordering it this weekend, I will report back and let you know once received. Really researching this to make sure I’m making the right decision.

how did you go with the NVR? any updates im thinking of buying one?

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 7716 is an awesome machine and should be enough to handle any residential camera needs. I love mine!

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The DS-77XX is the one you want. The 76xx will not play back all your cameras simultaneously.
How did you figure that out? Personal experience or calculated from camera and NVR specifications?

HikVision's product literature says the 76, 8 channel model can output 80Mbps. The poster said he has 6 cameras recording 2MP @ 15FPS. HikVision's Disk Calculator software shows the recommended bitrate for 1 camera at those specifications is 2457Kbps, so 6 cameras would be 14,742Kbps, or only 18% of the NVR's capacity.

I'm not qualified to know but I am about to make an NVR purchase and this is how I determined the model I needed. I'd be happy to stand corrected but I'd like to know how you arrived at your conclusion.

IPCAMPR34

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how did you go with the NVR? any updates im thinking of buying one?
The seller sent me the Hikvision DS-7616N-E2/16P instead, I was soo pissed when I opened the box to see it was the wrong one. Worst part is they convinced me to keep it(for discount of course).

This one is OK to tho, Its running 6 Hikvision cameras and 1 Dahua without issue.

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
The seller sent me the Hikvision DS-7616N-E2/16P instead, I was soo pissed when I opened the box to see it was the wrong one. Worst part is they convinced me to keep it(for discount of course).

This one is OK to tho, Its running 6 Hikvision cameras and 1 Dahua without issue.
I would not be happy with that at all! I have just orderd the 7716 and hope that doesnt happen to me. If it does i will be spitting chips. Hope your 7616 works out

tonie

n3wb
Reaction score

I'm about to order the same NVR. Which seller did you order it from? Please PM me if you can't post it here.

Thanks

nlagaros

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 7716 with 13 active cameras and 16TB of storage. I'm happy with the performance and overall purchase. It is doing what it needs to do.

tonie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 7716 with 13 active cameras and 16TB of storage. I'm happy with the performance and overall purchase. It is doing what it needs to do.
Where did you purchase it from? Can you PM me the link? Thanks

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Will the 7716 (US version) run multi language cameras ? or do you need to buy a multi language NVR ?

Also what does the NI or N stand for seems the NI have higher prices ?

nlagaros

n3wb
Reaction score
I had gotten it from Nellies Security. Did you ever pull the trigger?