Hikvision NVR problem

paulmitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi . Anybody able to help an oldie ? I recently bought a Hikvision DS7608NI NVR to use with Hikvision cameras . Fitted a WD 2TB red hard drive and set up NVR & camera for a trial run . On switching
the power on I found after about 15 seconds the unit started a beeping alarm .The only way to stop this is switch off the power . Have tried disconnecting hard drive & all leads to try to stop the noise,
but have found that even with just the power lead connected it's still coming on . Until I can stop this alarm I don't think I can install anything . Any ideas anyone or have I bought a lemon ? Hope somebody can suggest something in plain language !
Cheers , Paul.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may need to initialize the drive before the alarm will stop.

paulmitch

n3wb
Reaction score
You may need to initialize the drive before the alarm will stop.
Thanks for that . Any ideas on how I can do it as no instructions came with the hard drive & nothing seems to have appeared on the computer telling me that new hardware has been installed as I would normally expect . As you can tell , I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to this sort of thing , so any advice is really appreciated .

paulmitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi catseyenu . You're right about the NVR model no. The only instruction booklet I got was the Quick Operation Guide so the link to the full manual is invaluable for me. However , I've now disconnected the hard drive and the recorder is at bare bones , with only the power lead connected and it's still setting off the alarm after a few seconds . I can only presume the equipment is faulty so I think I shall have to return it for exchange . Thanks very much for all your help and advice and I'll let you know how I get on .
Cheers , Paul

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi catseyenu . You're right about the NVR model no. The only instruction booklet I got was the Quick Operation Guide so the link to the full manual is invaluable for me. However , I've now disconnected the hard drive and the recorder is at bare bones , with only the power lead connected and it's still setting off the alarm after a few seconds . I can only presume the equipment is faulty so I think I shall have to return it for exchange . Thanks very much for all your help and advice and I'll let you know how I get on .
Cheers , Paul
It may be setting off an alarm because its not detecting the drive..

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you initialize the drive as directed?
Until it detects an initialized drive the alarm will sound.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To turn off all beeping, go to Configuration->exceptions->click the drop down arrow and select All, then click apply

now it won't beep no matter what.

yes it is normal to beep when hard drive is not formatted or no hard drive detected.