HikVision NVR SSH access?

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A with firmware 3.2.1

This firmware disables telnet by default, but you can re-enable it using the latest Windows client (although apparently not the NVR's web interface.. odd)
I see no way to enable an SSH service on the NVR, but I guess it doesnt matter so much as I can at least telnet in now.

However, when I telnet in, I am greeted by a heavily crippled Busybox, rather than the normal linux operating system I was hoping for.

Are all HikVision NVR's like this?

Im a bit confused because I read lots of other forum posts about people ssh'ing into their device, and being able to access '/proc' and all the usual stuff, or is this only possible with the actual cams, not the NVR itself?

My ultimate goal was to try and hook into the NVR's motion detection and maybe run some custom scripts
(perhaps ffmpeg to generate thumbnails and then perform my own notifications... the NVR's one isn't really cutting it for my requirements
For example, the images attached to Motion Detection email alerts are tiny, and Intrusion Detection emails does not support sending any images at all).

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know - only the cameras use SSH, via the 'Dropbear' implementation, the NVRs I've seen only have telnet. Which is OK on your LAN, as you said.
The NVR 3.2.1 firmware introduced the annoying 'Busybox psh', not just via telnet but also via the serial console. Which by the way would be a good thing to have if you're going to be messing about with the internals.
But it can be worked around, check this out:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4148-Problem-with-NAS-on-Hikvision-DS-2CD2412F-I?p=36226&viewfull=1#post36226
This was for cameras - but much the same for NVRs, except for the use of the busybox-armv7l version, assuming your /proc/cpuinfo matches.