Hikvision NVR with POE; adding non-POE WiFi IPCam help needed

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the OEM version of the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR that supports up to 8 IPC and has an integrated 8-port POE switch. I have four 2332 IPC cameras connected to the POE switch and the NVR works great. The virtual host feature allows me to access each IPC on the POE side from the LAN which is nice.

Issue: I would like to add a WiFi IPC camera to the NVR and cannot figure out how.

Setup: LAN domain: 192.168.0.xxx; Integrated POE switch domain: 192.168.1.xxx

The WiFi cam is on the LAN domain and shows up in the NVR's GUI as a 9th cam. If I click "add camera" the NVR complains that it can only support 8 cams, which makes sense. Ok, so I try to delete one of the unused four cams on the POE side and it complains that it cannot delete them.

Any ideas how to make the NVR talk to the WiFi IPC?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't quite know what you mean by this, could you expand a bit please. Are you saying that the NVR is listing the camera under 'Camera Management'?
The WiFi cam is on the LAN domain and shows up in the NVR's GUI as a 9th cam
On the unused PoE camera ports - is the status 'Camera offline (camera does not exist)'?
Do you have the unused PoE ports set to 'Plug&Play'?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I am in Camera management and the WiFi cam shows up as the 9th cam. I can't delete any unused POE cams whether PlugnPlay or Manual.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully the pics below show what I mean...

Attachments

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Edit D5 to be Manual then put in your local IP for the Wifi camera, DON'T have to delete it, just edit. Should be 192.168.0.15

Change protocol to ONVIF and change user /password to whatever you use on your wifi camera, port number is a bit weird...try the http/rtsp/server port of your Camera and see which one works.

Yes the pictures are very helpful haha

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That worked milkisbad, thank you. I can see the video on the NVR. The NVR won't trigger and record motion on the WiFi cam though. I'm not sure why? It is a Foscam FI9831W that I had and I set it up as ONVIF. The Foscam is recording on its SD card but if I try to access the NVR's motion detection for this camera the NVR says "the camera does not support the function." I'm still new to this so maybe the camera isn't compatible or I need to try another protocol?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried setting the Foscam to continuous record in the NVR, nothing is recorded. Oh well, still nice to be able to see the live video. Thanks again milkisbad.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some effective guidance from mikisbad there!
I'd have thought that if you can see the video for the camera - you should be able to activate a recording schedule.
It may be worth re-visiting the recording and schedule settings. Maybe also check them out with the web GUI.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried again and this time was successful in getting continuous record to work. Of course that's not really what I want as that will fill the hard drive quickly so I'll simply rely on the local camera storage feature. Thanks for all the help.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I could ask for your suggestions.

The OEM version of the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR that I have isn't really cutting it. One, its POE power supply (fan) is loud, like you can hear it 20 feet (6m) away no problem loud (is this normal?). Two, the darn thing BEEPs every once in a while (a few times/day) for no apparent reason, which isn't good while sleeping. Nothing I see in the logs should cause this and I have it configured never to beep a warning for anything, only to send an email or simply do nothing. I can't believe this is normal?

So I'm thinking about returning it and getting a unit without the fan like this one Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision NVR 16 road 2 disk 8 way POE NVR engineering machine specialized monitoring equipment wholesale from Reliable recorder software suppliers on CSST wholesale market | Alibaba Group

I really like my current NVR's functionality except for the fan and beeping (and maybe the fact you cannot shut it down remotely!)

Q1: I'm running 5 POE cameras and most 8-port 10/100 POE fanless switches are 4-port POE, 4-port non-POE, so I'll use one POE power injector on a non-POE port for the 5th cam, another port to the NVR, another to my network. I still can expand one IPC if needed with another power injector.

Q2: Will the 7808 give me all kinds of language mismatch issues? Am I in for a nightmare? My IPC are Chinese 2332s hacked to full English (v5.2.0 and v5.2.5 mix).

I would appreciate any thoughts/opinions, thanks.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go to configuration -> exception -> hit the drop down and select All -> apply. Should stop all the beeping which might be a warning to HD error or network error.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did that but no exception found that would cause a beep:
2015-03-27 03:14:15
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:21:09
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:21:52
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:25:14
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:26:43
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:27:50
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:29:23
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:31:53
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect
2015-03-27 03:46:43
Exception
IP Camera Disconnect

All the above exceptions are from 3am to 7am today, 56 total exceptions exactly the same. Funny, no other disconnects all day. I have no idea which one of the 5 IPCs causes this (I wish it told us), my guess is it may be the one Foscam WiFi cam (the rest are HV POE IPC) I have on the LAN port. No issues with any recordings.

No other exceptions after 7AM today and it beeped twice since then in the past 10 hours. I'm baffled.

Any idea on the fan noise, is this normal? My iPhone sound meter has the room at 45dB without the NVR and 58dB at 6" from the NVR when on.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same unit. I noticed the Fan noise also. My wife doesn't like it...
I will next try moving the unit into the garage. Currently I have an HDMI cable from the NVR to my TV where I use a bluetooth mouse to navigate. If I can get HDMI from the Garage to the Living room via some coax as I have that run in the walls from the garage to the living room already, using baluns or something ... that would be good. otherwise I think we will have to interact with the Camera playback and live view on Mobile devices so we don't have to go into the garage...
I cant help with your beeps. I have not noticed that in my 7608

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same unit. I noticed the Fan noise also. My wife doesn't like it...
I will next try moving the unit into the garage. Currently I have an HDMI cable from the NVR to my TV where I use a bluetooth mouse to navigate. If I can get HDMI from the Garage to the Living room via some coax as I have that run in the walls from the garage to the living room already, using baluns or something ... that would be good. otherwise I think we will have to interact with the Camera playback and live view on Mobile devices so we don't have to go into the garage...
I cant help with your beeps. I have not noticed that in my 7608
The 40mm 1U power supply fan is loud. I've relagated the system to a closet that normally has its door shut so I no longer hear it. There are quieter 12V fans you could retrofit the power supply with but they will have a lower CFM rating so the PSU might get warm. Probably only an issue if you use higher powered IPC POE cameras on the switch (vs. the 7W HV 2xxx and 3xxx IPCs) and maybe two vs one hard drive in it, and of course, how many POE cameras you actually run. Or you can replace the PSU with this one RD-125-4812: MEAN WELL: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters that has no fan. It is only a 138W supply vs the 180W original PSU but again, unless you're maxing out the device that shouldn't be an issue. Also, it is a 48V supply vs. 52V on the original supply but I believe that will only be a factor for high power POE IPCs on the max length of Ethernet cabling, otherwise it shouldn't matter.

The beeps have stopped and the IP Camera Disconnects were caused by the Foscam IP camera though it would have been really nice if the NVR told you which channel disconnected to make life easier.

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Loud? I don't think it's that loud? I have it in my closet in my bedroom! I think it would get louder over time though - mine's only days old.

Chris