Hikvision Permanent Region Change

b166erobot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry for English use Google translate, they are Italian. Reading the forum let's see if I understand correctly. I bought a Cam from aliexpress with Chinese firmware 5.2.5 firmware English just to make it only an update via TFTP with the file signature https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qqgksfzdu899ha1/AAD3Zp0_tg-dofxme9dq3onTa?dl=0 at this point it has become firmware English

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry for English use Google translate, they are Italian. Reading the forum let's see if I understand correctly. I bought a Cam from aliexpress with Chinese firmware 5.2.5 firmware English just to make it only an update via TFTP with the file signature https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qqgksfzdu899ha1/AAD3Zp0_tg-dofxme9dq3onTa?dl=0 at this point it has become firmware English
On some build dates yes, it will become English / Multi-language on the others, you will need to do the mtd hack

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the 2014 the mtd hack will make this English and upgradable,
The other two will be limited to using 5.25 firmware.

b166erobot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[QUOTE = whoslooking; 52741] Il 2014 l'hack MTD renderà questa inglese e
aggiornabile,. Gli altri due sarà limitata a 5,25 con firmware [/ QUOTE]
I used the command prtHardInfo, the two cam of 2015 is kanguage = 1 means firmware English?
if you wanted to use this firmware to increase the lines which I have to use. In serial I CCCH so is Chinese?
V5.2.5DS-2xx2_v5.2.5_141201_CH_4_line_intrusion_roi.zip
https://mega.nz/#!t4FhiKbQ!6tpEciLkU...AaXzeMVylnxGds
DS-2xx2_v5.2.5_141201_EN_4_line_intrusion_roi.zip
https://mega.nz/#!IxFxRILK!LZa5q5Mn7...lLpr1qnCcIKEEA

Last edited by a moderator:

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Make a network shared folder on your PC.
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Copy the folder (mtdutils-1.5.0-arm-linux-gnueabi) you downloaded into the folder you are sharing on your PC.
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] On your Camera setup NAS Storage to the folder you have shared on your PC (don’t format it)!

Hi,
I have used ftp in the past to recover some cameras that were corrupted, so I'm comfortable with that side of things, but I'm stuck here at step 3, feeling like an idiot! I simply want them to work in english so they are seen by my new NVR.

Do I need to use an actual NAS or software that emulates a NAS on a PC?

Also, does this method allow me to turn a Chinese camera into English without taking it down from the roof? (assuming it worked first time)

Thanks,

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to use an actual NAS or software that emulates a NAS on a PC?
A shared folder on a Windows PC will do, for the SMB/CIFS file sharing protocol.
You will need to create a Windows user/password for the cameras to use when setting up the NAS storage destination in the camera web GUI, example below from a NAS, Windows is just the same:

Also, does this method allow me to turn a Chinese camera into English without taking it down from the roof? (assuming it worked first time)
Yes, assuming that you can power-cycle the camera, and it's not connected to a not-easily-accessible network location such as a PoE port on an NVR.

Attachments

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A shared folder on a Windows PC will do, for the SMB/CIFS file sharing protocol.
You will need to create a Windows user/password for the cameras to use when setting up the NAS storage destination in the camera web GUI, example below from a NAS, Windows is just the same:

Yes, assuming that you can power-cycle the camera, and it's not connected to a not-easily-accessible network location such as a PoE port on an NVR.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I will try adding it as SMB/CIFS tonight. I assume the admin account should be enough (probably not advised to store such things on an ip camera), but by god, I'm lazy if nothing else.

All of my cams go to a PoE Switch, which goes to a 24 port GigE switch. The NVR also connects to this switch. So I *think* what you're saying is, it should work in the ultimate-lazy-man method (not taking down the camera).

Thanks again.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Ok, I've managed to get all of that working and copy the mtd5 and mtd6 files, but, my files look different to the original ones posted here. I'm a little hesitant to continue without some assurance ;)

FYI cam is 5.2.5 chinese (originally 5.2.0 english) and I want back to english to work on my NVR.

Attachments

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wait, I think I get it, so long as the Checksum -16 for the selected area matches that of the cells circled, you are ok to proceed?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your data will look different from the examples posted as it holds different model number, manufacturing date, serial number, MAC address etc specific to each camera.

Yours show language=02, at bytes 0x654 and 0x10
Although your camera is old enough that I believe you could simply update with a new checksum when you change language bytes to 01, it may be best to leave the checksum unchanged and to increase one of the MAC address bytes by 01, such as 0x38 and 0x67C from 6B to 6C for example, to leave the checksum unchanged.

And - it's easier just to use 'cat' to read and write the mtdblocks instead of mtdutils, for example:
And getting a copy of the original:
cat /dev/mtdblock5 > temp5
Change whatever bytes you want, then putting back the changed block:
cat temp5 > /dev/mtdblock5
works perfectly well without needing to use mtdutils.
*edit* Ooops, sorry @whoslooking, didn't see your post before I did mine.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's it your getting it, I have done a video, mtd hack made easy it's here in the form, if you watch that you should understand fully what you are doing.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5988-MTD-HACK-made-easy-on-Video?highlight=mtd+hack+video
Your data will look different from the examples posted as it holds different model number, manufacturing date, serial number, MAC address etc specific to each camera.

Yours show language=02, at bytes 0x654 and 0x10
Although your camera is old enough that I believe you could simply update with a new checksum when you change language bytes to 01, it may be best to leave the checksum unchanged and to increase one of the MAC address bytes by 01, such as 0x38 and 0x67C from 6B to 6C for example, to leave the checksum unchanged.

And - it's easier just to use 'cat' to read and write the mtdblocks instead of mtdutils, for example:

*edit* Ooops, sorry @whoslooking, didn't see your post before I did mine.

Thanks so much guys, I now have two cameras back to English and working on my NVR!!! and I didn't even have to take them down from the roof!

I can't believe all the settings are kept as well. I'm so pleased with the result. Thanks again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent! Well done.
Just make sure they survive a reboot.
And export for safe keeping a copy of the device configurations if you've tweaked them away from defaults.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have nvr firmware 3.3.1 ulti language european version , and i have error "language version mismath" when i plug china camera DS-2CD3T20D-I3 version firmware modified V5.2.0 build 140928;
what can I do?
firmware that can be installed on the cam?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have nvr firmware 3.3.1 ulti language european version , and i have error "language version mismath" when i plug china camera DS-2CD3T20D-I3 version firmware modified V5.2.0 build 140928;
what can I do?
firmware that can be installed on the cam?
I thought the nvr was Chinese?
If that's the case upgrade to higher firmware from the Chinese site and upgrade via web gui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought the nvr was Chinese?
If that's the case upgrade to higher firmware from the Chinese site and upgrade via web gui
I upgraded dvr firmware 3.3.6 Chinese website, but when i plug china camera DS-2CD3T20D-I3 version firmware modified V5.2.0 build 140928 i have error "language version mismath"

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the camera's Chinese Region,
As I have 5.20 MTD hacked camera's on 7832 working good.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are the camera's Chinese Region,
As I have 5.20 MTD hacked camera's on 7832 working good.
As above the Chinese hack that they do is a bit problematic.
If the camera firmware on the original sticker is 5.30 or below I believe?
You would need to do the mtd hack on the camera

Although @whoslooking is better placed to advise on this